Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
KISS Album cover artist Ken Kelly passed away yesterday.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Boris Vallejo was the first Fantasy Art creator I noticed. Ken Kelly was the second one. Fantasy art doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was, but the drawings of the Old Masters are still remarkable to look at. Sorry to hear of Ken Kelly again this way.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear of another artist's passing. In 1996, NSU gave out an exclusive 20-card set of Ken Kelly stickers (marked as such on the fronts) one per issue but subscribers could get the whole set as a gift. That's hard to find now.

Here's a promo given out at the Capital City Retailer Conference in 1994. This is a lesser-seen sealed version of it in a clear plastic stand. The base of the stand was signed by the artist in gold ink on the front. The card itself promotes the Ken Kelly 2 card set (FPG, 1994) and shows a photo of Kelly on the back. The card was given out at the show but it's unclear if the sealed version was also given out - might have been part of a company display at the show.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A passing worth noting that we missed two years ago. Neil Peart, longtime drummer/songwriter from the rock band, Rush, died on January 7, 2020. He replaced the original drummer in 1974. Remaining band members, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson have said they would no longer be performing as Rush with Peart gone. They might still perform some songs together for charity events.

Rush was huge in the 70's and 80's. My brother and his best friend in high school were big fans. I was more of a Fleetwood Mac/Eagles/Doobie Brothers guy but I heard a lot of Rush because of them in those years.

When I happened to run across a mention of Peart's passing, I didn't remember hearing about it and checked to see if it was reported here. I was going to let it go but Rush was huge and I found a 1990 Panini sticker (this one is also for Bill who found some Rush custom cards for the Oddball thread).

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Alec John Such, Bon Jovi's bass player, has died at age 70.

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Always drove me crazy how practically every band in the 80's got labeled as Heavy Metal. Saw them open for RATT back in 85 just before Slippery When Wet would explode all over modern culture.

Alec left (retired) the band back in the mid 90's I am sure he lived quite nicely on the royalties of those first 5 albums.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Julee Cruise, best known for her ethereal vocal accompaniment to the music of David Lynch and Angelo Badalamenti (for several projects), has died at age 65. Her biggest hit was “Falling”, the instrumental version of which served as the haunting opening theme of “Twin Peaks".

From the 1991 Star Pics set.
I believe there is an autographed version of this card.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Oh no!
I love her voice, have her albums.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Canadian actor Matt Zimmerman died on June 9.

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
YuGiOh creator Kazuki Takahashi

On July 6, 2022, Takahashi's body was found on the coastline of Nago City in Okinawa by Japanese Coast Guard officers following a civilian report. Takahashi had been wearing snorkeling gear at the time of his death.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
lost James Caan today 82 years old.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Really sorry to hear this news. Caan was something else in the "Godfather". Nobody could have played Sonny better, yet it didn't overwhelm him and he had a long and great career. My favorites "Misery" and "Rollerball". "Brian's Song" was too sad for me, but a lot of people love it too.

He has two unreleased films left to go.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Really sorry to hear this news. Caan was something else in the "Godfather". Nobody could have played Sonny better, yet it didn't overwhelm him and he had a long and great career. My favorites "Misery" and "Rollerball". "Brian's Song" was too sad for me, but a lot of people love it too.

He has two unreleased films left to go.
Sorry to hear he has gone. My strongest memory of him in a film was 'Rollerball' but I know he had a long and memorable film career.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear of Caan's passing but glad to see that some are also remembering him from "Rollerball." He is most remembered for "The Godfather" but "Rollerball" was a great movie in its own right.

Yeah, to me "Brian's Song" was the saddest movie of its time. I remember him from "Eraser" (what a cruel character) and "Elf" and liked his "Las Vegas" TV show of the 2000's.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And the hits just keep coming . . . .

Tony Sirico, age 79

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actress Mary Mara, who played one of the Sphere Builders in ST:Ent, died on June 26, age 61.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Lenny Von Dohlen, who played Harold Smith on "Twin Peaks", died on July 5.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can't let Larry Storch's passing go without comment. He lived to be 99 years old and served his country in the Navy during World War II. He appeared in numerous plays, movies and TV shows across decades. I didn't see a lot of "F Troop" but I did watch "The Ghost Busters," in which he played "Spencer," while a guy in a gorilla suit played "Tracy" and Forrest Tucker played "Kong." He was a voice talent as well. Maybe there should be a movie about him.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,