Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 71
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
The role of the Romulan commander, originated by Joanne Linville, was carried on in "Star Trek Continues" by her daughter Amy Rydell.

Joanne Linville / Amy Rydell

Joanne was fortunate enough to see her daughter recreate the role and was very proud of her performance.

(I love how Amy has on one Romulan ear piece and Joanne wore the other one.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kennywood,

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any of those "Star Trek Continues" shows yet but there are photos from it floating on the web, and months ago, I saw one that made it clear that Linville's Romulan character appears in one of the episodes. It seemed to be a wild stroke of luck that the producers had found an actress bearing such a striking resemblance.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the Star Trek Continues series. Vic Mignogna plays the role of Captain Kirk and he absolutely nails it. He has every one of William Shatner's mannerisms down pat. The series wraps up the last 2 years of the 5 year mission and leads into "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". You can find the series on YouTube.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Dexter DuPont, who played the good angel in the Twilight Zone episode "The Hunt", has died. He was 85 years old.

Per Steve Charendoff, Dexter DuPont recently signed cards that will be included in Rittenhouse's next Twilight Zone set.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
The Romulan commander, in Star Trek Continues, was played by the original actresses daughter.
LLAP

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Jackie Lane who played one of Dr Who's very first assistants Dodo Chaplet has died. There is an autograph card if someone can post it. Frown

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Jackie Lane who played one of Dr Who's very first assistants Dodo Chaplet has died. There is an autograph card if someone can post it. Frown

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Stuart Damon, perhaps best-known in the UK from his role in "The Champions," a sci-fi/spy adventure show and best known in the U.S. from his long run on the soap opera, "General Hospital," passed away today at the age of 84.

This is card #24 from the 45-card "The Champions" set (A&BC, 1969). The show ran for only one season but became popular in reruns. He might be on one of the cards in the "UFO" set by Unstoppable or one in "The New Avengers" set by Strictly Ink.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Donald Rumsfeld, who was Secretary of Defense under both Gerald Ford and George W. Bush, has died, age 88.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Richard Donner, the director of Superman, Lethal Weapon, and The Goonies, has died at the age of 91.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Superman was a fantastic movie. It had the tagline, "You will believe a man can fly," and we knew the big moment was coming when the helicopter got stuck at the edge of the roof and started to slip off. Superman couldn't find a phone booth and then politely excused himself just before launching in time to save Lois Lane and the falling helicopter. That was one of the great thrilling scenes in film because it looked real to us.

Lethal Weapon was a great movie too. Like Superman, it had its own balance of action and comedy. I also read that Donner directed "Scrooged," an inspired comic retelling of "A Christmas Carol."

Donner knew how to make a movie.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rapper Biz Markie died today at age 57.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Fantasy artist Stephen Hickman died today at age 72.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One departure that sneaked past recently was sketch card artist Chris Henderson who passed away on May 31st at the age of only 53 Frown

https://everloved.com/life-of/...pher-alan-henderson/

The best examples of his work are on a thread he created over on the Blowout forums. Please delete the link if not permitted but this artwork should be seen Smile :

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=611199

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, that one hurts. They had started a thread over in Chatter about Chris Henderson's illness and it was left hanging, so I hadn't heard that he did pass away. Missed it on Blowout. Ed said here that he was one of the "original gangsters", I know he was the first non-sport artist I contacted after I switched over from sport. Previously I only talked to graphic artists involved in gaming card productions. Chris also did sports card art, but I wasn't involved with sports at the time I became aware of him.

He was an active member on Card Talk when I started and I had seen his work in TOPPS set, so I emailed him and set up some commissions. He was the first artist to ever do a commission for me, which was a series of sketches, and he was great to deal with. Over the years I continued to pick up or pull his stuff. As a result, even though I don't seek out sketches generally, I have 20 of his. The most of any single artist by far.

I thought his black and white pencil portraits were his best work, but that's just my opinion. He worked in color too of course, but I thought he really caught facial expressions better in pencil. His work can be found in a slew of titles from Indiana Jones, to the TV Avengers, to Star Wars and Kevin F put up nice links. He was always easy to tell by his style and his readable CH signature. The most unusual piece I have from him is an Aliens oversized sketch that he did a long time ago for a cancer charity. I won it in their fund raiser on eBay.

Anyway my sincere condolences to his friends and family. Although he is gone much too soon, through his work he left a lasting impression on strangers like me, who feel that they knew him a little. His art will continue to change hands and people will know and enjoy his considerable contribution to non-sport sketches and products. Rest in peace Chris.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Raven,

I'm sorry to read of his passing. He didn't get much time. If you ever take photos or scans of any of your sketches, please post them in the "Favorite Sketches" thread.

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I do have several sketches by Chris Henderson in my collection. My personal favourite is this commission piece he created for me based on a lobby card from the Ray Harryhausen film 'Jason and the Argonauts':

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, great piece!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Comedian Jackie Mason has died, age 93.

(Wasn't the voice of the Aardvark in "The Ant and the Aardvark" based on him?)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bill, John Byner was the voice behind both the Ant and the Aardvark. He was doing an impression of Mason and Dean Martin respectively. I remember Byner doing voices on talk shows in the 70's. I was happy to see he's still with us.

I liked those cartoons that were part of the Pink Panther show. The "Texas Toads" came later.

I think I saw Jackie Mason more on Merv and maybe Mike Douglas than Carson. He was a good comedian with a distinctive voice.

Jess