Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A few days ago, I learned that stand up comedian, Mort Sahl, passed away October 26 of last year. Sahl was a pioneer among stand up comedians appearing in the 1950's and offering political commentary with a casual style that was unlike anything seen before. He was struggling to break into show business in the early 50's until appearing at a San Francisco club and then his career took off. By the early 60's, he even guest-hosted "The Tonight Show" in that transition between Jack Paar and Johnny Carson.

My stepdad was a big fan. He literally had all of Sahl's albums.

A few years ago, I saw him on a local "Creature Features"-type show in its stand up comedy segment. He was easily the biggest comedian I ever saw in that segment and he was still sharp.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Which Playbill set is that from? I have a number of them, but don't recognize the card.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As Raven mentioned elsewhere, Estelle Harris passed away yesterday at age 93.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting those. I had no idea she did Star Trek, let alone signed cards.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know. I found the image on the web. It seemed like a long shot that he would be on a card though he'd been in a few movies.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Which Playbill set is that from? I have a number of them, but don't recognize the card.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Mort Sahl On Broadway, Oct. - Nov. 1987

https://www.playbill.com/produ...tre-vault-0000000867

That's a good site for Playbills. I'm surprised that Playbills are rarely worth anything, even for some big plays. They are frequently autographed and often questionable, because I think many get out without benefit of even seeing the production. I used to see many old ones in thrift stores and flea markets.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Playbill themselves are pretty common. It's the cards I'm interested in. I've even sent some checklists to Jeff Allender, but he seems to have stopped updating the site (which is a shame).

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
1960s singer Bobby Rydell has passed away, age 79.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Last summer I answered an on line poll that asked "What was the first record (45 rpm) that you bought. My response was Volarie. I was was surprised when Bobby Rydell liked my comment.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
1919 - 2022

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That is sad news but he made it to 102 years old. Good for him.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
1919 - 2022

Huh, I don’t remember this guy. Well, anyway, RIP. I hope his final years were spent in relatively good health, and that he was just one of those people who went to bed and just never woke up.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
1919 - 2022

Huh, I don’t remember this guy. Well, anyway, RIP. I hope his final years were spent in relatively good health, and that he was just one of those people who went to bed and just never woke up.

The fate of a good character actor who works a lot, but nobody knows. Wink Persoff had a 50 year acting career in over 200 TV shows and movies. I remember him best from larger roles in two favorite old 60's movies, "The Power" and "Fate is the Hunter".

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he was in all kinds of stuff across that time from Gilligan's Island to the original Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek: The Next Generation. He played the dad of the main character in Yentl.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that he was the cab driver in "On the Waterfront" (1954) during the famous scene with Brando telling Rod Steiger that he "coulda been a contendah"

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just saw on the news (and then in the Obituaries thread) that Gilbert Gottfried passed away today after a long illness. He was a funny comedian who appeared in numerous movies and TV shows since the 80's as well as working as a voice talent in many others due to his distinctive voice. He lost the Aflac job after making a joke about the wrong thing at the wrong time but other comedians and fans of comedy know that a comedian often works the edge of what's inappropriate or tasteless at the time and sometimes they get into some trouble. It's a risk trying to be vanilla too so you might as well go with what you think is funny.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Celebrity and media reaction to Gottfried's death is abundant and sad. All of a sudden, he was a comic genius and everyone has a story about him. Meanwhile he wasn't heard from for the last few years because he got cancelled out with the Aflac flap and no one put up much of a stink.

It would have been nice if all these people were saying such nice things about him while he was still alive. Roll Eyes

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Maybe on Earth-2. Roll Eyes
On this one, he was beloved, and worked constantly in his chosen field until the end, which included standup performances as recently as last month plus his usual full-plate of voiceover work as well as memorable appearances on Stephen Colbert's CBS show and John Oliver's HBO show, among others.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No, not Earth 2, or Earth 3. I'm not into the multi-universe theories. Big Grin

I'm not an expert on stand-up comedians either. All I know is that it's been a long a time since I heard Gilbert Gottfried mentioned and he passes away and the tributes pour in. It is a common reaction these days that celebrities never have more friends than when they die.

Disagree if you like, I prefer loyalty to cheap self-serving sentiment.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
His constantly being hired by "Hollywood" and treated well by the "celebrities" he worked for and with until the end of his life beats any overtly agenda-driven nebulous definition of loyalty you (or parallel versions of you) could muster.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post