Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And Betty Lynn, who played Thelma Lou on the Andy Griffith Show, died Saturday at age 95.

Posts: 2197 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
We can do that....and back on topic General Powell passed away. Covid complications

This one surprised me and it will start a lot of discussion for all the wrong reasons on the COVID front. Powell always seemed like a man of integrity and I think he was dedicated to his job, but he deserved better. RIP General.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

This one surprised me and it will start a lot of discussion for all the wrong reasons on the COVID front. Powell always seemed like a man of integrity and I think he was dedicated to his job, but he deserved better. RIP General.

I don't know, the covid portion seems pretty cut and dry to me. He was vaccinated, he was 84 and he had conditions that weakened his immune system. I'm not sure what else can be said about it....at least on any rational level.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was sorry to hear of his passing too.

This card is one of 4 unnumbered, unmarked prototypes for the Desert Storm: Operation Yellow Ribbon card set (AMA Group, 1991). The border looks dark gray but it's actually silver foil which doesn't show up well in a scan because of its reflective quality.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't know, the covid portion seems pretty cut and dry to me. He was vaccinated, he was 84 and he had conditions that weakened his immune system. I'm not sure what else can be said about it....at least on any rational level.

Yup, that's why I said for all the wrong reasons.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yup, that's why I said for all the wrong reasons.

Hahaha! Ever been in line with one of those people who have no clue when to shut the F up? Went to see Wolfgang Van Halen last night and there was that excessive talker who manged to finally make it to the Colin Powell conversation. His final observation about him getting the vaccine was D if you do and D if you don't. My first thought was this thread and all loss of the "rational level" Cool

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went to see Wolfgang Van Halen last night

How was the show? (and where was it? -- I don't keep up with concert listings anymore. I haven't seen live music in probably 10 years. Having a kid will do that for you. REALLY bummed to have missed Tommy Emmanuel last year, just before Covid hit.)

Posts: 2197 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is kind of an anti-obituary . . . .

Alec Baldwin shot and killed a guy today on a movie set with a prop gun. (Reminds me of Brandon Lee, or Jon-Erik Hexum).

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Went to see Wolfgang Van Halen last night

How was the show? (and where was it? -- I don't keep up with concert listings anymore. I haven't seen live music in probably 10 years. Having a kid will do that for you. REALLY bummed to have missed Tommy Emmanuel last year, just before Covid hit.)

Show was great! That kid has talent pulsing through his DNA!

The new venue built on to the VBC. Mars Music Hall. Here is a video I took....will give an idea of what it looks like inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY2mZ_06qvU

Wow! That is crazy about Alec. I remember after Brandon Lee how Hollywood was going to revamp safety so something like that wouldn't happen again. Will be interesting to hear the details, Alec just strikes me as a guy who would have been goofing off and something like this happens. I hope I am wrong.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is kind of an anti-obituary . . . .

Alec Baldwin shot and killed a guy today on a movie set with a prop gun. (Reminds me of Brandon Lee, or Jon-Erik Hexum).

Not quite, he shot and killed a woman, Halyna Hutchins the director of photography for the film. A man was also injured and is in hospital:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59005500

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will be interesting to hear the details, Alec just strikes me as a guy who would have been goofing off and something like this happens. I hope I am wrong.

Maybe. They were supposed to be filming scenes and you would kind of think another actor would be hit like this, rather than the Director and Cinematographer who would have been outside camera range. Baldwin is also the Producer of this movie, so he is sort of the Boss on the set too.

There is going to be a big investigation for sure, but these movie props are dangerous and even blanks have to have properly cleaned gun barrels. Every few years someone is going to get careless and there will be an accident because of equipment maintenance or an improperly trained user.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It has just come out in the last 15 minutes that it was a live round that killed the woman. There is virtually no way that a real bullet should have been in a prop gun by accident. So this is going to be quite an investigation. Eek

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Pretty much every legitimate movie since "The Crow" would have an armorer on set whose sole job would be to take care of the prop guns. Normally, he would hold onto it until just before the scene, demonstrate to all concerned that it was not loaded, hand it to the actors as late as possible before the scene starts shooting, and retrieve it once the scene is shot.

The "best practice" is for there never to be a chance for anything like this to happen. No actor should ever even have an opportunity to be goofing around with a gun on a set.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Peter Scolari has died of cancer at age 66. He was best known for "Newhart" and "Bosom Buddies", but had a long career with appearances in many movies and TV shows.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has just come out in the last 15 minutes that it was a live round that killed the woman.

In the language of movie stunt coordinatore and prop managers, "live round" doesn't necessarily mean what you and I would buy at Cabela's. It may simply mean a round with powder in it, like a blank.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It has just come out in the last 15 minutes that it was a live round that killed the woman.

In the language of movie stunt coordinatore and prop managers, "live round" doesn't necessarily mean what you and I would buy at Cabela's. It may simply mean a round with powder in it, like a blank.

I've never heard of Cabela's, maybe Walmart. Big Grin But you're right, a follow up report made the distinction that a live round didn't have to mean a true bullet.

Have you seen the reports now that there was a protest of union workers before this incident and they had pulled out and been replaced just prior to it happening. Apparently its a low budget production and the crew was complaining of unsafe conditions and not being paid right. Also there were problems with gun misfires the day before.

Don't know it any of that is true, just reading it, but the union was quick to say that it wasn't any of their members on set when it happened. The implication being that the production was trying to cut corners. It will be interesting to see how much blame falls on Baldwin, not for being the shooter necessarily, but maybe as a Producer who wasn't running a safe set.

It also calls up the less likely possibility of sabotage, which I'm expecting to be mentioned at some point, if things look bad.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you seen the reports now that there was a protest of union workers before this incident and they had pulled out and been replaced just prior to it happening.

Yes. Also reports that on the previous Saturday, there were two accidental discharges -- a situation where an assistant producer gave an actor a gun and told him it was "cold" (i.e., it was not loaded with blanks or any rounds that could fire), and in fact it was "hot", and it fired twice. This is a major safety violation.

Here is a second-hand description, supposedly quoting someone who was on set, about what happened:

quote:
The day was running long, the actors and crew were getting tired, another scene had to be shot yet again, and in an effort to add some levity to the circumstances Alec Baldwin, holding a firearm in his hands that he believed to be unloaded, jokingly told the director of photography Ms. Hutchins and director Joel Souza, “We have to shoot that scene again? How about if I just shoot you both, instead.” He then points the firearm at them and depresses the trigger, resulting in the gun discharging, killing Ms. Hutchins, and wounding Mr. Souza.

The description is provided in the context of a legal analysis of the question "Is Alec Baldwin criminally or civillly liable?" Read the whole article, but if the description is accurate, it's hard to see how he isn't liable at some level.

This L.A. Times article has the best account of events that I've seen so far.

Variety has extensive coverage. So does Hollywood Reporter.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
The day was running long, the actors and crew were getting tired, another scene had to be shot yet again, and in an effort to add some levity to the circumstances Alec Baldwin, holding a firearm in his hands that he believed to be unloaded, jokingly told the director of photography Ms. Hutchins and director Joel Souza, “We have to shoot that scene again? How about if I just shoot you both, instead.” He then points the firearm at them and depresses the trigger, resulting in the gun discharging, killing Ms. Hutchins, and wounding Mr. Souza.

The description is provided in the context of a legal analysis of the question "Is Alec Baldwin criminally or civillly liable?" Read the whole article, but if the description is accurate, it's hard to see how he isn't liable at some level.

The production company is going to be civilly sued if safety violations occurred and were ignored until someone was killed, that's a given. I hope that eyewitness report is fake, because if Baldwin was goofing around with any prop gun like that, he will lose everything he has. Nobody points any sort of gun at anybody and pulls the trigger. Its hard to believe he could be so stupid and especially knowing at least some stuff had already happened. If he did it he is finished, but I'll keep an open mind on that for now.

Yeah, looked at the link and it's not clear if that writer is just making up a hypothetical situation to prove the point of how Baldwin could be found personally negligent. It would be helpful if a true account of the actual incident was released since there is a big difference between a random shot during filming and aiming in someone's direction.

Given that any sound effect can be added after filming, I don't understand the need to have real guns on any film set these days, but maybe I don't know something others do.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Given that any sound effect can be added after filming, I don't understand the need to have real guns on any film set these days, but maybe I don't know something others do.

A real gunshot in the immediate vicinity is LOUD, and gives the actors something to react to. It CAN be done safely, although that didn't happen here.

A big thing in movies nowadays is how much to do practically, and how much to do with FX/CGI. I don't know the "right" answer, but I do know that it makes a difference to me as a viewer, and I'm sure it makes a difference to those making the movie.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They could bang a gong and everyone would jump the same way. Big Grin

It might also be money. It could be less costly to hire people to watch guns, than hire people to create the noise, smoke and fire by CGI afterwards. I don't know, but the TV show The Rookie has just announced that they are removing these types pf "working" prop guns from the set. Look for others to follow in the knee jerk reaction that always comes afterwards, for the short term.