Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Non-Sport Obituaries

This topic can be found at:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/6427076186

April 18, 2021, 06:48 PM
Kevin F
Non-Sport Obituaries
quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
bi-da-bi-da-bi-get down, Buck!
Twiki's voice was provided by the late great Mel Blanc Smile
April 19, 2021, 02:02 AM
catskilleagle
I remember when Mel Blanc died. He was a hero to a radio DJ I was working with at the time. Yeah, Buck Rogers was a fun show though the weak writing is more obvious now. The second season wasn't as fun but we watched it and we were sorry when there wasn't a third season.


quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
bi-da-bi-da-bi-get down, Buck!
Twiki's voice was provided by the late great Mel Blanc Smile

April 20, 2021, 11:00 AM
Bill Mullins
Former vice president Walter Mondale has died at the age of 93. In 1984, he ran against Ronald Reagan for president, and was defeated 49 states to 1. In other words, he only won one more state that I did, and I didn't even run. In his 1980 reelection campaign with Carter, one of their slogans was "Fritz and Grits" ("Fritz" was Mondale's long-time nickname, and "Grits" came from the fact that Jimmy Carter was from Georgia, where grits is a traditional breakfast food.) During the televised 1980 Republican National Convention, a camera panned over the large audience in the hall, and you could see a delegate holding a placard that said "Fritz and Grits give me the shits" which was one of the first times that scatalogical term was expressed on network TV.


April 20, 2021, 05:28 PM
Kevin F
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I remember when Mel Blanc died. He was a hero to a radio DJ I was working with at the time. Yeah, Buck Rogers was a fun show though the weak writing is more obvious now. The second season wasn't as fun but we watched it and we were sorry when there wasn't a third season.
My memory of Mel Blanc taking his leave is best summed up by the 'Speechless' cartoon image that appeared:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ApwWYF0
April 22, 2021, 04:07 PM
Tommy C
Les McKeown of the "Bay City Rollers" has died.

I believe that he is on this Topps card


https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/568157309228490090/
April 22, 2021, 04:35 PM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Les McKeown of the "Bay City Rollers" has died.

I believe that he is on this Topps card


https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/568157309228490090/


second from the right.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
April 23, 2021, 12:35 AM
steviek2
Tempest Storm, 93, American burlesque star and actress died on April 20.


April 23, 2021, 01:50 AM
catskilleagle
Yes, that "Speechless" artwork was distributed somewhere as an oversized card or print. Our announcer was able to get one and he showed it to us.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I remember when Mel Blanc died. He was a hero to a radio DJ I was working with at the time. Yeah, Buck Rogers was a fun show though the weak writing is more obvious now. The second season wasn't as fun but we watched it and we were sorry when there wasn't a third season.
My memory of Mel Blanc taking his leave is best summed up by the 'Speechless' cartoon image that appeared:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ApwWYF0

April 23, 2021, 10:54 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by steviek2:
Tempest Storm, 93, American burlesque star and actress died on April 20.



My knowledge of burlesque kind of begins and ends with Gypsy Rose Lee, but Tempest Storm was a great name. There can't be too many of these trailblazing Ladies of Burlesque left now.

This reminds me of how you get your porno name, your first pet's name and the first street you lived on. Or you could copy George Costanza's choice, Buck Naked. Big Grin
April 23, 2021, 12:04 PM
Bill Mullins
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Les McKeown of the "Bay City Rollers" has died.

I believe that he is on this Topps card


https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/568157309228490090/


A better example:


April 23, 2021, 12:11 PM
Bill Mullins
Rapper Shock G, who was Humpty Hump in Digital Underground, died yesterday, age 57. He and the rest of DU were in the bomb movie "Nothing but Trouble", which featured two characters with fake noses -- Humpty Hump's brown Groucho nose, and Dan Aykroyd wearing a phallus nose.





April 25, 2021, 05:39 PM
Bill Mullins
Joseph Siravo, who played Tony Soprano's father in flashbacks in The Sopranos, died Apr 11 at age 66.


April 28, 2021, 01:43 PM
Bill Mullins
Astronaut Michael Collins, who orbited the Moon while Aldrin and Armstrong walked on it, has died of cancer at age 90.




April 28, 2021, 04:32 PM
Kennywood
Had Armstrong and Aldrin not been able to lift off from the surface of the moon, Collins would have had to return to Earth alone. While Armstrong and Aldrin got the majority of the fame, Collins was just as deserving.

____________________
Lucy Van Pelt: How can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubblegum cards?
May 04, 2021, 11:31 PM
Bill Mullins
Actor Nathan Jung, who played Genghis Khan on Star Trek, has passed away at age 74 on April 24.


May 06, 2021, 05:48 PM
Bill Mullins
Frank McRae died on April 29. He played for a season with the Chicago Bears in the NFL and became an actor. He was excellent as Axel Foley's screaming boss in "Beverly Hills Cop", and parodied that role in "National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon" and "The Last Action Hero".






May 06, 2021, 06:42 PM
Raven
The only reason I knew this right away is because I just watched all 3 Beverly Hills Cop movies on DVD. Axel Foley's screaming boss was played by Gill Hill. Three disc set for $7.98 at Target, if anybody wants it. Smile

Frank McRae was the screaming boss to Nick Nolte in 48 Hours, also starring Eddie Murphy, not as the cop.
May 06, 2021, 07:21 PM
Kennywood
With all the movies in which Frank McRae appeared, somehow my favorite is his role in "*batteries not included".

____________________
Lucy Van Pelt: How can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubblegum cards?
May 07, 2021, 03:07 PM
Bill Mullins
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The only reason I knew this right away is because I just watched all 3 Beverly Hills Cop movies on DVD. Axel Foley's screaming boss was played by Gill Hill. Three disc set for $7.98 at Target, if anybody wants it. Smile

Frank McRae was the screaming boss to Nick Nolte in 48 Hours, also starring Eddie Murphy, not as the cop.


Doh! I had a brain flatulence . . .
May 08, 2021, 06:34 PM
chesspieceface
Tawny Kitaen at 59



Above is a card from about 20 years ago, but she signed more recently for Leaf Pop Century.

Most will remember her best for the 80's music videos she was in, but I'm partial to the early Oujia board themed horror movie she starred in called "Witchboard".

She was also in an unusual local sports story about 20 years ago. Married at the time to California Angels pitcher Chuck Finley, she caused him to miss a start after burying the point of a high heel shoe in his arm after a contentious argument. They divorced shortly thereafter, which was prolly a good idea.

Rest in peace, Tawny. May Heaven be filled with sports cars to straddle to a rockin' beat.

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.