Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Non-Sport Obituaries

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/6427076186

April 13, 2020, 09:17 AM
Bill Mullins
Non-Sport Obituaries
Good. I go back and look at my old posts with the missing photos and wish I had done likewise.

Another Bill Withers card:

April 23, 2020, 02:30 AM
catskilleagle
Last week, I read that author, Elizabeth Wurtzel passed away back on January 7. Her first book, "Prozac Nation: Young and Depressed in America" was published in 1994. That memoir got people talking about clinical depression and addiction. She would follow up with other books and essays about her experiences.

This is card 65 from the seemingly unending Booksmith series. Booksmith is a bookstore in San Francisco that used to give out cards (usually with an author photo front; short bio/book promo back). This one promotes the release of "Prozac Nation."

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
April 25, 2020, 02:03 AM
Bill Mullins
Actor Gene Dynarski passed away on Feb 27. You may remember him as Izzy Mandelbaum Jr. from Seinfeld (he played the son of Lloyd Bridges' character). He played three different roles in the Star Trek universe.

He also was on an XFiles card:

May 10, 2020, 12:20 AM
Bill Mullins
As mentioned elsewhere, Little Richard has died.

And so did actor John Ericson.

May 10, 2020, 05:18 AM
chesspieceface
Came to make sure Little Richard, the "Innovator, Originator, and Architect of Rock and Roll" was remembered here, but we also mustn't forget Harold Reid of the Statler Brothers, who passed away on April 24th.

That's him at left.
Harold sang bass.

Rest in peace, gentlemen..

May 12, 2020, 02:27 AM
Bill Mullins
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
but we also mustn't forget Harold Reid of the Statler Brothers, who passed away on April 24th. Harold sang bass.

Coincidentally, Lester "Roadhog" Moran passed away on the same day. His band, the Cadillac Cowboys, was closely associated with the Statlers.

Actor Michael Keenan died on April 30. He played multiple roles in the Star Trek franchise.

May 16, 2020, 05:13 PM
chesspieceface
The great Fred Willard at 86. Frown

His epic laundry list of comedy credits bears still more fruit later this year as Fred was in "Space Force", the new Steve Carell series coming to NetFlix.

Not only a terrific character actor for 50+ years, Fred's voiceover credits include The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill, The Boondocks, The Cleveland Show, and WALL-E, among others.

May 16, 2020, 06:55 PM
cardaddict
I totally forgot he was in WALL-E, one of my all-time favorite animated movies.
May 18, 2020, 05:13 AM
catskilleagle
I heard about Fred Willard on Saturday and wondered if I had a card with him on it. I don't have the Anchorman set (DVD insert, I think).

The first time I saw him was "Fernwood 2 Night," a show I don't remember well and wonder if it is still accessible somewhere. He was great in "Best of Show." He was always a solid guest star, adding something to every show he did.

I can't let Little Richard's passing go by without comment either. In the 50's he gathered pieces of gospel and blues and superheated them together with his own wild energy and helped create something new, rock 'n roll, launching the careers of legends such as Billy Preston and Jimi Hendrix and influencing countless others as well. Here's a card with him as a genie from the "Nike Trading Cards" set (1991) which used images from early 90's Nike commercials.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
May 18, 2020, 08:05 AM
cardaddict
Oh boy, do tastes differ!
The small part of BEST OF SHOW I managed to see at the theater, to put it mildly, I greatly disliked. Just not my kind of movie.
I remember the theater was fairly crowded, and I went alone. I sat in the very back row, about two seats away from two girls who were making such a medley of disturbing noises that I could not concentrate on the movie anyway, so I walked out after maybe 20 minutes or so.
It's amazing how that memory came back to me.
May 18, 2020, 05:22 PM
Ted Dastick Jr.
Ken Osmond passed away at 76. Eddie Haskell is a TV icon. Frown

He had autographs in some Leaf sets. I got to meet him at a con many, many years ago. Super nice guy.
May 18, 2020, 05:32 PM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I heard about Fred Willard on Saturday and wondered if I had a card with him on it. I don't have the Anchorman set (DVD insert, I think).

He also signed for the 2009 Americana release. I picked one up just a month ago. He was also in This is Spinal Tap.

May 19, 2020, 02:23 AM
Bill Mullins
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Ken Osmond passed away at 76. Eddie Haskell is a TV icon. Frown

May 20, 2020, 01:08 PM
Bill Mullins
Character actor John Mahon died on May 18, age 82. He had roles in ST:E, Angel, X-files, and many more shows and movies.

May 26, 2020, 10:49 PM
mykdude
Read that Richard Herd passed away today.

May 27, 2020, 12:58 AM
catskilleagle
Yes, I read that today. He was a great actor in so many shows and movies. He was in the "V" miniseries in the 80's and he played at least one role in Star Trek shows. Of course, I remember him in Seinfeld as George's one-time boss and later cult follower, "Tanya."

"Most of the world is carpeted, and one day, we will do the cleaning."

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Read that Richard Herd passed away today.

May 28, 2020, 05:06 AM
Position
So sad, she was very beautiful.
May 29, 2020, 05:25 PM
Bill Mullins
Character actor Anthony James has died, age 77.

June 01, 2020, 03:15 AM
catskilleagle
Hi Cardaddict,

"Best in Show" has a deadpan humor that builds from characters whose lives revolve around trying to win an annual dog show. You could call them caricatures, but if you've ever worked at more than one trade show in a regional circuit, you see personalities not too different. If you didn't like "This is Spinal Tap" nor "Waiting for Guffman," you might not like this one either.

Fred Willard appears maybe a little more than halfway into it as the half of the show announcer team with no industry savvy nor grasp of history. If the humor ran too dry for you before, Willard is the refreshing blast you need.

I hear he's great in "Space Force," a new show on Netflix.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Oh boy, do tastes differ!
The small part of BEST OF SHOW I managed to see at the theater, to put it mildly, I greatly disliked. Just not my kind of movie.
I remember the theater was fairly crowded, and I went alone. I sat in the very back row, about two seats away from two girls who were making such a medley of disturbing noises that I could not concentrate on the movie anyway, so I walked out after maybe 20 minutes or so.
It's amazing how that memory came back to me.

June 01, 2020, 07:41 AM
cardaddict
If I recall correctly with my faulty memory, a number of movies of that type were being made at that time, none of which I liked. I laughed at the Zucker brothers and Abrahams movies, BRAIN DONORS, etc. As someone once said, humor is a funny thing. I never even smile when watching Laurel and Hardy or Abbot and Costello (with the all-time exception of 'Who's on First?', they leave me absolutely flat, but the Three Stooges and the Marx Brothers will always crack me up. Speaking of that, where's the glue?