Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Non-Sport Obituaries

This topic can be found at:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/6427076186

April 06, 2020, 12:02 PM
WOMBLE
Non-Sport Obituaries

Honor Blackman dies aged 94. Frown
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-52189803
April 06, 2020, 01:40 PM
cardaddict
So sad, she was very beautiful.
April 06, 2020, 01:57 PM
wolfie
very sad, i spoke with her a few times at shows, very nice lady. Frown

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
April 06, 2020, 02:30 PM
Raven
I didn't realize Honor Blackman was 94 years old. She was almost 40 when Goldfinger came out and that was her big international hit. Those first few seasons of the Avengers with her playing Cathy Gale were not aired here at the time and have still rarely been shown. Sorry to hear of her passing.
April 06, 2020, 03:23 PM
cardaddict
What set is that autograph from?
April 06, 2020, 04:37 PM
wolfie
quote:


Originally posted by cardaddict:
What set is that autograph from?



James Bond Archives 2009.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
April 06, 2020, 04:48 PM
cardaddict
Al Kaline - 85
April 06, 2020, 05:38 PM
Tommy C
Regarding Honor Blackman, are she and Claudine Auger (who passed a few months ago) the only 2 "lead" Bond women from the 007 films who have passed ? I believe that they are.
April 07, 2020, 05:26 AM
catskilleagle
I was sorry to hear about Kaline. He retired around the time I started collecting baseball cards so I have a couple of his. He played his whole 22-year career with the Tigers. It's tough enough to last that long in pro sports but what are the odds to do it all with one team? They'd be even more astronomical now.

I don't think he was ever on a non-sports card. Mickey Mantle and Orel Hershiser have cards that promote their autobiographies. Ted Williams is on one that promotes a limited edition print (photo of him, Bobby Orr, and Larry Bird) and Wade Boggs has one pitching a batting practice machine. Bob Uecker has one that announces a charity event.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Al Kaline - 85

April 07, 2020, 08:44 AM
cardaddict
And he was so famous they named a battery after him.
April 07, 2020, 10:29 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
And he was so famous they named a battery after him.


Big Grin I had to think about that one.

Jess, I have a card made for Mr. Coffee that was signed by Joe DiMaggio. Haven't seen it in years, but its some place. The story was that it was done at corporate appearances and the signature looked legit. But who knows? So many of his autographs were his sister too.
April 09, 2020, 02:48 PM
Bill Mullins
Cartoonist Mort Drucker has died (not of coronavirus) at age 91. He was best known for his work on Mad Magazine, where he started in 1956. I couldn't find any Mad cards with his art, but he did other things as well.


April 10, 2020, 11:07 PM
Bill Mullins
Singer Bill Withers passed away at age 81 a few days ago. I really enjoyed his songs, mostly from the 1970s.


And actor Timothy Brown, who played "Spearchucker Jones" on both the movie and TV show M*A*S*H has died. By the time the Donruss MASH set came out in 1982, he had long been off the show and did not appear on a MASH card. But he previously had played pro football, so . . .

April 11, 2020, 05:10 AM
catskilleagle
It might have been hilarious in chemistry class in the 60's and I admire the thought process. It makes me wonder if Al Kaline's name gave someone the play-on-words idea for the All-Star Toons (Topps) and maybe the Wacky Players (Sunkist) sets of the late 80's/early 90's.

I'd like to see that Mr. Coffee card. I heard whenever he was in the San Jose area, he'd eat at Original Joe's (a great Italian place downtown).

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
And he was so famous they named a battery after him.


Big Grin I had to think about that one.

Jess, I have a card made for Mr. Coffee that was signed by Joe DiMaggio. Haven't seen it in years, but its some place. The story was that it was done at corporate appearances and the signature looked legit. But who knows? So many of his autographs were his sister too.

April 11, 2020, 05:12 AM
catskilleagle
I thought Jack Davis did the Wacky Players sets. Maybe others worked on it too.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Cartoonist Mort Drucker has died (not of coronavirus) at age 91. He was best known for his work on Mad Magazine, where he started in 1956. I couldn't find any Mad cards with his art, but he did other things as well.


April 11, 2020, 11:59 PM
Bill Mullins
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I thought Jack Davis did the Wacky Players sets. Maybe others worked on it too.


There were several Wacky Players sets.

Of the cards I've seen, Davis did the Football and Basketball, and Drucker did the Baseball.

Football


Basketball

April 12, 2020, 10:14 AM
JOHN LEVITT
Known to us in the Uk was eddie Large of Liitle and Large. Eddie died on 2nd April of the Covid-19 Virus. He is pictured below along with Syd Little on a card taken from Golden Wonder's TV All Stars. I have taken to images from that well known auction site. The cards themselves were issued with either round corners or square corners.

[IMG:left]

[IMG:left][url=https://postimg.cc/8F4qWkdV]
[/IMG][/IMG] url][/IMG]

regards

John

____________________
April 12, 2020, 03:15 PM
Bill Mullins
Thanks for the post. I not familiar with many of the British actors and the cards they appeared on. But just a heads up -- ebay images tend not to be "stable". Often after the sale is over, the seller will pull down the images.
April 13, 2020, 04:04 AM
catskilleagle
Thanks for the info. I like those cards - just have a couple of them. I have a few more of the dinosaur cards.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I thought Jack Davis did the Wacky Players sets. Maybe others worked on it too.


There were several Wacky Players sets.

Of the cards I've seen, Davis did the Football and Basketball, and Drucker did the Baseball.

Football


Basketball

April 13, 2020, 08:28 AM
JOHN LEVITT
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Thanks for the post. I not familiar with many of the British actors and the cards they appeared on. But just a heads up -- ebay images tend not to be "stable". Often after the sale is over, the seller will pull down the images.


Bill

These should not be a problem as they are not linked to ebay as I download the pictures and if necessary tidy them up but thanks for the heads up.

regards

John

____________________