Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Non-Sport Obituaries

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/6427076186

July 25, 2019, 11:14 AM
Raven
Non-Sport Obituaries
I will always remember Rutger Hauer because of the feelings I had the first time I saw Blade Runner. He was the star and hero of that movie. That's how I saw it anyway. I didn't like Ford's Rick Deckard at all and would have been happier if Roy Batty had walked away from that rooftop. Big Grin

Hauer did get to do a few starring roles after Blade Runner, but he was a Dutch actor and his best years were spent working there. Soldier of Orange was his big hit prior to going to Hollywood. Another fantasy film I liked afterwards, probably forgotten now, was Ladyhawke. Then he settled into B movies and smaller roles as he got older, some of which are guilty pleasures, if not good movies. Still always played a memorable part, even if it didn't deserve him. RIP Mr. Hauer.
July 27, 2019, 08:34 PM
chesspieceface
Saddened to report the passing of voice actor Russi Taylor.

https://www.thewrap.com/russi-...-decades-dead-at-75/
The voice of Minnie Mouse for 30 years, Taylor also contributed memorably to "The Simpsons" with her characters Martin Prince, Uter, and the twins Sherri & Terri...

That summer wind came blowin' in from across the sea...

August 02, 2019, 05:39 AM
mykdude
https://variety.com/2019/tv/ne...everwood-1203266197/

From Star Trek Insurrection, Stephanie Niznik passed away unexpectedly at age 52 in June.

She signed for both Skybox and RA releases.

August 03, 2019, 12:08 PM
chesspieceface

August 13, 2019, 04:50 PM
Kennywood
Barbara March (Lursa in ST:TNG) has died after a long battle with cancer. Shake Head

August 17, 2019, 12:41 AM
Bill Mullins
Peter Fonda has died of complications of lung cancer, age 79.

August 17, 2019, 11:06 AM
Kevin F
Richard Williams has passed away aged 86. He was the author of 'The Animator's Survival Kit' which should be a well-read resident on the bookshelf of anyone who ever wanted to animate pretty much anything. He was also famous for his own Oscar and BAFTA winnning animation work. Probably best known for his work as animation director on 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' way back in 1988. The BBC has posted a nice little obituary for him:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-49382175
August 17, 2019, 03:14 PM
chesspieceface
A true master indeed. Not only an Oscar winner for "Roger Rabbit", but he also did the wonderful 1971 cartoon version of "A Christmas Carol" and the animated sequences at the start of the hugely popular 1970's "Pink Panther" movies starring Peter Sellers (which probably led to the well-remembered Freleng-DePatie animated TV series from many of our childhoods).

Probably as close as well get to a card of Mr. Williams, some of his work from "Roger Rabbit" captured in sequence from the Topps set based on the movie.

August 18, 2019, 04:04 AM
catskilleagle
I was a big fan of the "Pink Panther" movies and the cartoons of the 70's. The Pink Panther was different from other cartoons because he didn't talk. You could say it was a more primitive style with the character moving past simple backgrounds like the early cartoons (a style I've seen mimicked in my nieces' generation of shows), but with Henry Mancini's unforgettable music, it all worked for kids and adults. I hear that music in my head all the time like the music in the background of weekly NFL highlights shows of the 70's.

I liked the Ant and the Aardvark and Inspector Clouseau too - great voicework. I liked the later Texas Toads more than Misterjaw.
August 20, 2019, 09:47 PM
piperh33
I discovered that Eddie Jones, who played Jonathan Kent in the TV show "Loïs & Clark : The New Adventures of Superman" from 1993 to 1997, has died 7/6/19 at the age 84.

August 31, 2019, 09:15 PM
chesspieceface
Multi-Emmy Award winning TV star Valerie Harper has passed away at 80. She was given a grim diagnosis nearly 10 years ago, but hung on and remained active up until very recently. In that time, she signed for several Leaf Pop Century issues including one from 2016 that featured a vintage photo as well a couple of chromes from 2018 ("Accolades" subset card not shown).

Rest in peace, Rhoda...

September 02, 2019, 05:28 PM
JOHN LEVITT
In the other Obituaries thread it was mentioned that Terrance Dicks (Dr Who scriptwriter) has died aged 84. I have managed to find a card for him as below (two versions).

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

and the same card without the signature.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

September 13, 2019, 02:46 PM
Bill Mullins
Musician Eddie Money, who had a few hits in my youth, has died of complications from heart surgery.
September 14, 2019, 04:09 AM
catskilleagle
Yeah, that was tough to hear. He had hits in the late 70's and into the 80's finding continued success in the early MTV years. I remember hearing him being interviewed on local radio in the late 90's as he talking about his concert tour at the time with a stop at Shoreline Amphitheater (I think). He still had a lot of energy, talking fast and loud, reminding me of one of my uncles. That's how I'll remember him. Rest in peace, Moneyman.

Jess

P.S. Sometimes it sounded to me like he created his own contraction with "'Vwaited so long..." (though it's "We've waited...") in "Two Tickets to Paradise" from '78.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Musician Eddie Money, who had a few hits in my youth, has died of complications from heart surgery.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
September 22, 2019, 03:13 PM
Tommy C
A Star Trek passing

I am sure that he's on cards

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/22...ctor-dies/index.html
September 22, 2019, 11:56 PM
Bill Mullins
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

I am sure that he's on cards

So link to one . . .

September 23, 2019, 09:26 AM
Kennywood
Sid Haig died this past Saturday.

September 23, 2019, 12:06 PM
chesspieceface
Apparently the after-effects of a fall.
Frown

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movi...ies-at-80/ar-AAHIHc2

From Fright-Rags trading cards, his iconic Capt. Spaulding character:
Art by Brent Scotchmer

Rest in peace, Sid...

September 23, 2019, 12:42 PM
Kennywood
Jack Donner also died this past Saturday.

October 07, 2019, 01:14 PM
Bill Mullins
Comedian Rip Taylor has passed away, age 84. I don't think he could make it today with his style of humor, but oh my gosh he was hilarious.