Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Netflix has ruined my tv watching...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix has ruined my tv watching...
 Login/Join

posted
...but not in the normal way. We have Dish Network, and I have several timers set for various shows I like.

Unfortunately I never end up watching them week-to-week. I prefer to just wait for the season to finish, or hit the dreaded seasonal breaks, to binge-watch all the episodes.

So rather than watch that new episode of Atlanta, I'll wait a few months and watch them all in a weekend.

Am I the only one who does this?

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't binge watch because I have neither an uninterrupted day or the attention span to do it. I do hear that it is a very popular way to watch these 10 - 12 episode shows, but I'm not sure if its only a small group doing it.

I do like to watch full seasons on DVD, usually because I don't get the channel, but I still stick to one episode per day most of the time.

What has ruined my TV watching is Amazon because they are committed to subscription streaming only for their channel. They have a couple of good titles and they have kept off of DVD altogether. I don't see why they are so against giving that option when Amazon sells lots of DVDs, but I have heard rumors that some big retail chains like Target want to cut them out too.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I am dreading the day when DVDs go the way of what CDs are now going - oblivion. But, since I have hundreds of DVDs, I'll just start watching them over again.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I only catch the Goldbergs anymore on regular television.
DVD sets are still how I watch shows when I have the time. I have never binge watched anything.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If I really like a show, it would drive me crazy waiting for the season to finish even with these roughly 10-episode mini-seasons a lot of shows have now. On top of that sometimes it's more than a year before the next season. In the 70's most shows had over 20-episode seasons and you just waited from May to September.

quote:
Originally posted by weasel-king:
...but not in the normal way. We have Dish Network, and I have several timers set for various shows I like.

Unfortunately I never end up watching them week-to-week. I prefer to just wait for the season to finish, or hit the dreaded seasonal breaks, to binge-watch all the episodes.

So rather than watch that new episode of Atlanta, I'll wait a few months and watch them all in a weekend.

Am I the only one who does this?

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I still watch DVDs too. You can get them cheap at flea markets sometimes (found Season 1 of "The Rockford Files" for $8 and Season 1 of "30 Rock" for $5). While I still mourn the loss of Tower Records, I find some solace in a similar local place, Rasputin Records (has new and used DVD's as well as used VHS, records, and books).

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was some discussion elsewhere on the forums as to what they've been doing with DVDs lately, discontinuing shows and only making them available digitally

I am a fan of The Simpsons, and it's up to Season 29. However, they've only released Seasons 1 to 18 and 20 on DVD, no Season 19, 21 or any afterwards, and there are no plans to do so !

Likewise, my wife and love watching Degrassi The Next Generation. They've done 18 seasons so far, but only the first 12 are on DVD, and I think they're not going to release the rest

Frustrating !

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I still watch DVDs too. You can get them cheap at flea markets sometimes (found Season 1 of "The Rockford Files" for $8 and Season 1 of "30 Rock" for $5). While I still mourn the loss of Tower Records, I find some solace in a similar local place, Rasputin Records (has new and used DVD's as well as used VHS, records, and books).

I loved Tower Records. And Borders, got a lot of books and DVDs there. Most of all, I loved rummaging through the used DVDs bins at Blockbuster. All gone now and you can't rally find any brick and mortar store with big selections that give you immediate buyer access.

I have one small FYE by me. The rest is just the big chains, Target and Walmart. No bookstores, big or small, at all. I purchase almost everything online.

If you want older, cheap books and DVDs, try Edward R Hamilton Bargain Books online. They don't do new releases, but sell no used items either. Mainly older books and DVDs, very cheap on prices and shipping. Lots of old TV shows, if you're interested.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I liked Borders too. There were a few stores that were making money but when the chain isn't, they all go under. I worked at Coles The Book People when they got bought out by Waldenbooks in 1987. Waldenbooks, Crown Books, and B. Dalton seemed like they'd be around forever. Even a couple of the malls they were in are gone or down to just a Target or Macy's.

There are a few used bookstores within about 15 miles of me. I try to check them out periodically.

Thanks for the tip about Edward R Hamilton. I looked it over and will check that too. I've found a couple of things on Abe Books including a back issue of a German geology magazine. I couldn't believe they had that.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

I loved Tower Records. And Borders, got a lot of books and DVDs there. Most of all, I loved rummaging through the used DVDs bins at Blockbuster. All gone now and you can't rally find any brick and mortar store with big selections that give you immediate buyer access.

I have one small FYE by me. The rest is just the big chains, Target and Walmart. No bookstores, big or small, at all. I purchase almost everything online.

If you want older, cheap books and DVDs, try Edward R Hamilton Bargain Books online. They don't do new releases, but sell no used items either. Mainly older books and DVDs, very cheap on prices and shipping. Lots of old TV shows, if you're interested.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
OP: IMO I think your way's becoming 'the norm' (normal way) especially if you speak to younger generations. I honestly forget when things are on TV week to week unless I record it. My brain doesn't remember TV channels and times like it used to (A bit like no one memorising telephone numbers anymore thanks to technology).

I tend to stream catch up services, the modern day 'reruns' or give into the 'I can't wait till next week' and binge series on a weekend.

It's how I've watched the likes of Stranger Things and Santa Clarita Diet about 8 times per series, per show.

Kind of nostalgic for the days anticipating next episodes and HAVING to wait week to week.

Young generationation don't understand that. They do live on instant gratification for music, films, ebooks, TV etc.

And if you wanted to re-watch having to catch the weekend rerun with no record option (And then not being able to see it again until the VHS were released).

And I'm only hitting 30. Once had to explain to someone 5 years younger who only remembered DVDs what a VHS WAS! Eek

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post