Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2022
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Halloween is having a poor 2nd weekend. It probably won't even be in the Top 20 of the films released in 2022.

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Looks like Halloween is having a poor 2nd weekend. It probably won't even be in the Top 20 of the films released in 2022.

Yeah but it's the third installment of a three picture deal. Total budget for all three is listed at $63M The box office of the first movie covered everything with plenty left over. Right now the world box office for all three films is at $469.2M. Not bad for a franchise that is nearly 45 years old.

Not to mention that this one is currently streaming on peacock. Pretty sure there was a nice deal for that one.

Going to be interesting to see what Black Adam has for gas next weekend. It had a respectable first weekend but matched with a budget of $200M it still has some work to do.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! We may be over Clooney and Roberts on this side of the world but apparently the International box office still loves em! Ticket to Paradise $80M to our $16M.

The Terrifier 2 actually added theaters and jumped up 83%! Currently at $5.2M roughly 20X its budget.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Black Adam" is # 1 a second week in a row, but it fell significantly.

Up to 111 M domestically, but cost 200 M to make.

In terms of the U.S. box office, it is currently #12 for the year.

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Wow! We may be over Clooney and Roberts on this side of the world but apparently the International box office still loves em! Ticket to Paradise $80M to our $16M.

I think a lot of middle-aged and over people connect with these two. By all accounts both they and the movie are not good, but there are so few glamourous movie stars these days. His smirk and her laugh are enough to get someone to watch.

I never liked either one of them in their prime, but personal preferences are just that.

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe that Julia Roberts is now 55 and George Clooney is 61.

Their heyday of the 1990s and early 2000s does not seem that long ago.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Terrifier 2 should hit $10M this week. Budget to Box Office ratio I would think the most successful movie of the year. Prey for the Devil? Not so much.

Black Adam still rolling but it's obvious there is nothing here to repair the problems of the DCU.

Smile broke $200M on worldwide box office...major hit.

Looks like Amsterdam was hated by all. $27M Worldwide on an $80M budget.

So far the Domestic Box Office is up $6.1B over last years $4.4B with Wakanda and Avatar at bat.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to various sources Black Adam cost 200 M to make and so far it has grossed 138 M in the U.S. and 300 M worldwide. Unfortunately a film which makes 300 when it cost at least 200 to make does not make it a major hit. Another misstep for the DC Universe.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wakanda Forever hits a Thursday take of $28M...I think I would call that a pretty good start.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The new domestic Top 10. The numbers are likely to change.

1) TOP GUN
2) DOCTOR STRANGE 2
3) JURASSIC WORLD
4) MINIONS (just passed BATMAN by a few $$$s)
5) THE BATMAN
6) THOR
7) SONIC 2
8) BLACK PANTHER 2
9) BLACK ADAM
10) ELVIS

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Black Panther will be up to #3 in the days ahead, behind only Top Gun and Doctor Strange.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of new holiday themed horror movies coming out this December. They may not be block busters, but they probably will make a good profit over cost.

The only potentially huge one I see is "Avatar: The Way of the Water". I'm not digging the scenes I've seen because it's too similar to the first one that was something new, and because so much time has passed that I don't really care. Not sure how the audience feels.

Other than that, "Puss in Boots: The Last Wish" should do well for the kids and maybe "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules. Why do they all have to have colons in the titles. Roll Eyes

del Toro's "Pinocchio" could bomb. His recent films are too dark and arty to be popular and I don't even know why we need another version of the lying Wooden Boy. I don't know who asked for "Matilda the Musical" either.

The rest of the December releases seem to look like "The Whale", designed to pick up more industry awards than money, or they are quick toss outs. I think the Winter blues are coming early. Big Grin

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Disney's "Strange World" has gone up in flames. It cost around 180M and is estimated to lose around $147M. It earned only 18.6M over the 5-day Thanksgiving weekend and just another 9.2M worldwide. Disney has already brought back Bob Iger to right the ship from an awful year, but I think it's going to be harder than before.

Besides some of Disney's policies and social agendas clashing with some portions of the public, which does hurt the box office in some areas, Disney is also competing with itself. Almost every parent I know with a younger child has the Disney channel playing non-stop on the tablet. Why should they go to the movies when Disney+ is there, paid up and keeping the kid quiet. Wink

Disney wants to make money all over, on all platforms, just by its name. That won't work anymore and I, as a lifelong Disney hater, think that's progress. Razz

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One unusual entry in the recent box office is "The Chosen". For the past couple of years, it's been a crowdfunded series on the life of Jesus, released on Amazon Prime, Netflix, DVDs, and elsewhere. The first two episodes of Season 3 were released by Fathom Events at theaters, and came in #2 for the week of Nov. 18-24. This week, it's dropped significantly, and will probably be pulled from theaters soon and the episodes will be shown as seasons 1 and 2 were.

Season 2 ended just as Jesus was about to give the Sermon on the Mount, and from what I've heard from friends who've seen it, Season 3 starts with that sermon.

(and if this -- religious-themed content -- is your sort of thing, The Chosen is very well done. Most of the cast is unknown to me, but they do an excellent job. The story is mostly told from the perspective of those around Jesus (Nicodemus, the Apostles, Mary Magdalene, a couple of the Romans in the Galilee area, etc.). My family watched the first couple of episodes out of curiosity (my son had seen excerpts from some episodes at his school), and ending up bingeing the first two seasons over the next week.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Strange World" is a major bomb for Disney. They said it's the second worst showing of an animated Disney film in the past 20 plus years.

It probably won't even be in the Top 30 of the domestic films for 2022. Not good for them.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Black Panther" will likely end up being the # 3 movie of the year, domestically. It will pass 400 M this week, but it won't make the 700 M that the first one did.

"Strange World" is now up to a dismal # 40.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
While Disney flops seem to make headlines "Black Adam" is a quiet disappointment with fluctuating figures. Some reports say it will lose over 100M in theatres, but then will eventually make a profit. Others say its made around $350M but needs to make 600M to just break even. The intention was to build on it in the DCU, but hard to see how now.

I didn't like Johnson in this from the start. A role like this is supposed to make the actor. He was already made and frankly too old. They should have gone with a new face. Maybe it still wouldn't have helped, but it couldn't have been any worse.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
While Disney flops seem to make headlines "Black Adam" is a quiet disappointment with fluctuating figures. Some reports say it will lose over 100M in theatres, but then will eventually make a profit.

Hollywood math....I sure wish I could see how the IRS sees it. Especially in an age where distribution and promotion is owned by the same people who produce the films.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Black Adam will end up being the # 11 film of the year domestically which is OK but not great. I think that with regard to the DC Comics films, unfortunately Marvel just beat them out of the gate early on and now it is too late. The only big DC hits in recent years have been The Batman, Aquaman and the first Wonder Woman. But everything else, like the 3 Suicide Squad / Harley Quinn films have not been. Next year they have Shazam 2 and The Flash but I suspect they will end up like Black Adam.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Black Adam will end up being the # 11 film of the year domestically which is OK but not great. I think that with regard to the DC Comics films, unfortunately Marvel just beat them out of the gate early on and now it is too late. The only big DC hits in recent years have been The Batman, Aquaman and the first Wonder Woman. But everything else, like the 3 Suicide Squad / Harley Quinn films have not been. Next year they have Shazam 2 and The Flash but I suspect they will end up like Black Adam.

An article was just released that makes it sound like the DCEU is going back to the drawing board. WW3 and Man of Steel are currently cancelled. Giving Patty Jenkins WW3 after WW1984 is a good indicator of the bad decisions being made. Sounds like they want to put Snyderverse into the ground. I think from a writing perspective I totally agree, I just hope they don't dismiss the visual distinctions he provided.

On a holiday cheer note.....We went to go see Violent Night in IMAX last night (only ones in the theater). Instant Christmas Classic cause it steals from so many of them. Totally enjoyed the ride!