Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2022
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
The Top 10 of 2022 domestically, as of August 1

TOP GUN
DOCTOR STRANGE 2
JURASSIC WORLD
BATMAN
MINIONS
THOR (may pass Minions soon)
SONIC 2
UNCHARTED
ELVIS
LIGHTYEAR

Box Office Mojo includes what Spiderman made in 2022 which puts it at #7 Not really sure how the industry officially views it. Personally I can see both sides of it but in simple dollars it did put 2022 films in competition with it well into March.

Dont think Elvis has another $20M of gas left but then it only dropped 12% from last weekend and is still pulling million dollar + weekdays.

DC Superpets took number 1 on a $90M budget (another lesson for Disney) Between domestic and international it will probably be fine. Personally I didn't see a single commercial until two days before it was released.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On Box Office Mojo you can click on the list of "calendar" releases vs. "in year" and if you do the latter, then Spidey is considered to be a 2021 release

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Mykdude,

On "DC Super Pets", I saw trailers for it in the theaters many months ago, mostly before other kids' movies. They showed it before Minions.

Not sure about TV commercials

They are actually saying that it underperformed, as the opening weekend was only about 23 M. So it may not be a big hit.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
On Box Office Mojo you can click on the list of "calendar" releases vs. "in year" and if you do the latter, then Spidey is considered to be a 2021 release

Box Office Mojo still lists it in the top 10 of 2022. Never said it wasn't a 2021 release but it doesn't change that it was "real" box office competition in first quarter 2022. If you make money in 2022 can you claim it on your 2021 taxes? Pretty sure the studio couldn't.....just looking at it logically.

I'm sure DC Super Pets had ads before I actually saw them that's why I said "personally" My kids are 30....I don't go to kid's movies. Nor did I claim it was a hit but it took number 1 and made roughly half its budget in the first weekend. No matter what happens the movie is going to be ok.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Top Gun is only 5 M away from passing "Titanic" and becoming the 7th highest grossing film of all time, domestically.

It needs another 25 M to pass "Avengers Infinity War" to become # 6

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Unless you are into the architecture or landscape layouts, those places certainly didn't make their owners any happier or any saner. Probably contributed to the opposite. So making pilgrimages to their Estate shrines just keeps the heirs in bling in my opinion.

Apparently a car and Elvis fashion museum, history of other musicians at the time and a 450 room hotel. Guess there have been talks of a concert venue as well. Quite honestly I am surprised that wasn't thought of years ago. I was a recruiter in Tupelo and drove up to Memphis many times. Often went past Graceland but never had much interest. Never went to his birth cabin in Tupelo either and I lived there for 3 years.

My son was all set to sign the paperwork (it was a one time pay to perform fee) when he was 11 to be “Elvis” in a video at the Tupelo Elvis House and museum. No one had noticed his braces until he was selected. They asked would we have them removed. It was in the middle of the process and we said, “no”. Almost Elvis.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
DC Superpets took number 1 on a $90M budget

Box Office Mojo doesn't seem to list Chinese movies -- the number 1 last weekend was "Moon Man," which grossed $129 M.

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
My son was all set to sign the paperwork (it was a one time pay to perform fee) when he was 11 to be “Elvis” in a video at the Tupelo Elvis House and museum. No one had noticed his braces until he was selected. They asked would we have them removed. It was in the middle of the process and we said, “no”. Almost Elvis.

Personally I think that was sound parenting. Wink

Just curious were you going to have to front the cost as well if you chose to go the other way?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Box Office Mojo doesn't seem to list Chinese movies -- the number 1 last weekend was "Moon Man," which grossed $129 M.

Might not show up unless it gets a US release. I know they were listing The Battle at Lake Changjin last year.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"DC Super Pets" has only made 45 M so far in 2 weeks domestically, and worldwide it hasn't even made its 90 M budget back

It has not been a good year for DC Comics films, aside from The Batman. See "Batgirl"

We will see what happens with Black Adam and Shazam 2, both coming later in 2022

Warner Bros. is very nervous about "The Flash" in 2023, with all the bad publicity surrounding the lead, Ezra Miller.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Elvis is up to 136 M domestically and only 12 M away from passing "Uncharted"

Who would have guessed ?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The raves from the people who actually knew Elvis (including Elvira, Mistress of the Dark who met him in 70's Las Vegas, when she was a very young showgirl) are uniformly glowing, so that's probably helped some people who were on the fence decide to go see it, in terms of longtime Elvis fan being leery of this being another of those too many warts and all stories.

I thought the right balance was struck in the depiction of him, although I would've preferred more music in the movie, which isn't really a complaint.

I'm sure there's an even longer cut, probably enough that the whole thing could've been split into two movies, and presented a still more nuanced portrait of Presley, but that was probably a tougher sell as the first movie wouldn't have had a proper ending.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

Personally I think that was sound parenting. Wink

Just curious were you going to have to front the cost as well if you chose to go the other way?

We would have had to pay to take the braces off and put them back on.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
The raves from the people who actually knew Elvis (including Elvira, Mistress of the Dark who met him in 70's Las Vegas, when she was a very young showgirl) are uniformly glowing, so that's probably helped some people who were on the fence decide to go see it, in terms of longtime Elvis fan being leery of this being another of those too many warts and all stories.

I thought the right balance was struck in the depiction of him, although I would've preferred more music in the movie, which isn't really a complaint.

I'm sure there's an even longer cut, probably enough that the whole thing could've been split into two movies, and presented a still more nuanced portrait of Presley, but that was probably a tougher sell as the first movie wouldn't have had a proper ending.

At 2.5 hours I felt it was long enough. I thought the movie opened up very disjointed but then settled in after about 20 mins. Luhrmann's style, although beautiful kept me in a slight state of skepticism because the time period just wasn't that pretty. I think the style worked much better for Moulin Rouge because the film was basically a fantasy. The mixing of modern music styles didn't work very well in Elvis. I was soon aware that events (if they really even happened) were going to be stacked for desired effect and not accuracy. Then there was the problem that I couldn't get Rudnick from Heavy Metal out of my mind every time I saw Hanks as Col Parker. In spite of all this I didn't hate it.

Overall Elvis is a good movie and kept my attention. I thought the ending was well done. There is quite a bit of over and under emphasizing timelines and events. Can only hope that any young viewers just learning about him will sort through it from more authoritative sources.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Top Gun is only 3 M away from passing the 2018 Avengers film, and moving into # 6, of all time domestic grosses

And Elvis is 6 M away from passing Uncharted, and becoming the # 8 film of 2022.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Looks to be a lull in the release of bigger new movies for a couple of weekends. Last week was the lowest box office take in a long while. "Bullet Train" held on to #1 but didn't make much.

Next up is Idris Elba in "Beast". This one looks like it's a by-the-numbers man v. lion story with annoying kids thrown in. Small main cast, quick 93 minutes runtime and lots of eaten unknown extras. The trailer shows it all.

Try watching "Ghost and The Darkness" better, if this is your thing.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the 2022 summer movie season is over. My youngest niece went back to school last week and a lot of kids are going back this week. Traditionally in September, "serious" movies start getting released

quote:
Looks to be a lull in the release of bigger new movies for a couple of weekends. Last week was the lowest box office take in a long while. "Bullet Train" held on to #1 but didn't make much.

Next up is Idris Elba in "Beast". This one looks like it's a by-the-numbers man v. lion story with annoying kids thrown in. Small main cast, quick 93 minutes runtime and lots of eaten unknown extras. The trailer shows it all.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or Cujo Big Grin

Yeah pretty crazy how far the top 10 box office has dropped in the past 3 weeks.

Maverick finally had its first less than 1M daily.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Whoa!! Dragonball Super crushes Idris Elba's crazed lion adventure.

Does Elvis have $4M left in its tank to pass up Uncharted?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Bad news Beast was crushed by a cartoon, good news it was produced on a low end budget. Not saying it will be a hit but will have a smaller hole to climb out of.
Bullet Train won't be a hit domestically but Pitt is still popular at the international box office
Top Gun can go away now. Could see it hit $700M domestic
DC Pets will fall short of production costs domestically and then roll over to premium and streaming services. Late summer release seemed kind of stupid for this one.
Thor is mopping up. Wont beat Ragnarok on the world stage but did run respectable numbers.
Just now seeing international bucks for NOPE which will easily move it into the "Hit" column.
Gotta give the Crawdad's respect nearly $100M on a $24M budget.
Fall didn't come out strong but lists a budget of only $3M and made nearly $5M in its first week. The real question is how much was spent on marketing and distribution?

JAWS is being re-released for both IMAX and 3D formats on labor day weekend. For those who are interested.