Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2022
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I realize that it's unfair to compare 2022 to 2020/21 when COVID was rampant, but if you compare this year to 2019:

So far 2022 has had 6 films surpass 200 M (all of them passed 300 M, actually) and 12 made at least 100 M

In 2019, 11 films made over 200 M (10 of them more than 300) and a whopping 31 films made 100 M or more.

So we still have a way to go

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Not really sure it is fair to treat 2022 as a covid free year. Especially in many of the large population areas. Maybe call it a post covid rebuilding year or something like that.

Also wonder if covid alternate distribution methods have not generated certain habits for many movie goers?

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I realize that it's unfair to compare 2022 to 2020/21 when COVID was rampant, but if you compare this year to 2019:

So far 2022 has had 6 films surpass 200 M (all of them passed 300 M, actually) and 12 made at least 100 M

In 2019, 11 films made over 200 M (10 of them more than 300) and a whopping 31 films made 100 M or more.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Top Gun" up to 685 M, only 15 M away from passing "Black Panther" and becoming the # 5 film of all time, domestically.

"Elvis" about 3 M away from passing "Uncharted."

Can they do it ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Finally got a chance to see NOPE. Not a single complaint...just a totally fun and enjoyable film.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! Everyone loses at the box office this weekend! Since July 24th the weekend total has dropped from $126M to $52M.

Fortunately the Invitation was made on a $10M budget and earned $7M over the weekend.

Bullet train continues to get international help and should hit its budget numbers domestically.

Beast is dead.

Maverick will pass the $700M domestic milestone and if they let Elvis ride another weekend it should pass Uncharted. Still, it will be close enough for Uncharted to call for a recount if it wants to.

My weekend movie money for Labor Day is going to JAWS in 3D. Surf

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yep, "Top Gun" up to 691 M domestically.

"Elvis" up to about 147.4 M. Only needs about 1.2 M more to go.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Elvis is only $ 900,000 or so away from surpassing Uncharted. Less than 1 M to go.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking at the calendar for releases for the rest of 2022, we have these coming:

October: Scream 2, Halloween Ends, Black Adam

November: Black Panther 2

Dec: Avatar 2, Puss in Boots 2 (Shrek spin off)

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Top Gun passed 700 M and Elvis passed 149 M. Warner Bros.is very pleased with the latter. It is now the 8th biggest film released in 2022.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The new Top 10 of 2022, domestically

TOP GUN
DOCTOR STRANGE
JURASSIC WORLD
BATMAN
MINIONS
THOR
SONIC 2
ELVIS
UNCHARTED
NOPE

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
And the weekend box office continues to tumble. A few bright spots

Barbarian made its budget in the first weekend and should go on to be a hit

As expected Bullet Train is getting international help to blow past the $200M mark.

The invitation has brought in double its budget plus a few bucks from the international market.

DC Super Pets still hanging around.

I did see FALL and didn't hate it. The run time is perfect and it doesn't try to get overly involved as a story. A very simple film that does what it is designed for.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Clerks 3 bombed this weekend. Did not even make the Top 10. Maybe Kevin Smith's popularity is in the past?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clerks 3 bombed this weekend. Did not even make the Top 10. Maybe Kevin Smith's popularity is in the past?

I never understood Kevin Smith's popularity in the past. Big Grin

The remastered Avatar might clean up the majority of whatever box office there is this coming weekend. They are squeezing out every dime they can get before the new one.

There are a lot of movies on the slate when you look, but none with much promise. The Halloween horror films are coming.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kevin Smith was popular with my generation, people born in the early 1970s, who came of age in the 90s.

His films were considered to be "cool", I guess, in the 1990s and early to mid 2000s.

Now we are all in our 50s, as is Smith.

Do people 35 and under know who he is ? I doubt it. Maybe I am wrong.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do people 35 and under know who he is ? I doubt it. Maybe I am wrong.

They do but he's definitely got a niche following with that crowd. It doesn't help that everything he's been putting out is all self-referential and in-jokes that, if you haven't been following him forever, will be lost on casual viewers.

I've only liked a few of his films, and those that I like I REALLY like. I wish he'd stop trying to be goofy making his friends laugh and get back to making good movies. Red State was such a great movie and a vast departure from his norm, I'd love to see him try some more things like that.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Jay and Silent Bob film bombed in 2019, grossing less than 5 M. And that was pre-COVID

His last hit was Clerks 2 in 2006, and that one made only 27 M. Not a tremendous amount.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's weird that more people I know got COVID this year than in 2020 or 2021. It seems more celebrities/newspeople got it this year. Stephen Colbert and Seth Myers got it twice. We started going back to the office and loosening restrictions more so it seems people were getting at work. Because of the vaccines and updated treatments, we're seeing less people go to the hospital so things are better. Don't think it's over, though. One of my friends got it recently and it knocked him down for a week. I'm still wearing a mask when I go to stores. Hey, if it also helps keep me from getting a cold or flu, that's great.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Not really sure it is fair to treat 2022 as a covid free year. Especially in many of the large population areas. Maybe call it a post covid rebuilding year or something like that.

Also wonder if covid alternate distribution methods have not generated certain habits for many movie goers?

quote:

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Clerks 3 made about 2.2 M this weekend. Frown

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
It is difficult to gauge what Kevin Smith's last two films are actually making. He and Jason toured the last Jay and Silent Bob for months to sold out crowds. This also included two VIP levels along with merch sales. In the end Kevin pays off his investors and then owns the movie.

He is pretty much doing the same thing with Clerks III.

With that said I do believe his late stoner years have impacted originality and creativity on his part.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
For Clerks III, they were $20 tickets, three days only, one showing per night, at the only theater nearby here running it. (I had a Fandango code from the "Jurassic Park" Dr. Pepper offer, so we ended up paying about $16 per ticket, which is still way more than I'd usually pay for a movie ticket. Usually.)

This release was one of those "Fathom Events" deals, so a very limited screening by definition. As such, the movie had "extras" including an intro from Kevin specially made for those who came to the cinema and a 15-20 minute documentary feature that immediately followed the movie.

Smith said the main reason they were able to land even this extremely limited theatrical release was because the distributor was impressed with how many DVDs were sold of his previous movie "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot". Having bought one of those, I feel slightly more self-satisfied than even usual. I'm looking forward to a DVD release of Clerks III, first to see it again, but also because I'm thinking there will be outtakes, bloopers, and such.

A fine finish for Dante and Randall here with Clerks III. I'm thinking the 2 million it made pays the rental of the auditoriums the movie played in and left a little over for the producers. We'll find out by what Smith does next, most likely. I'd like to see him return to the Mallrats and Chasing Amy characters at some point, before all the actors get too old, or else I do.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post