Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2022
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I have tried to get into the Harry Potter world multiple times and it just doesn't do anything for me other than collect autograph cards signed by actors I like in OTHER movies.

Still the world wide haul for the movie was nearly $200M so I wouldn't call it in trouble just yet.

Sonic 2 had already passed it's production budget domestically.

So far the international market has no love for The Lost City. Not sure what sort of release schedule it is on but it needs some help. Even so it looks like the type of movie that will turn a profit at some point.

Everything Everywhere All at Once added 970 theaters but only gained 2% from last week. Wanted to see it this week but a concert and convention are sucking up my time.

The Mel Gibson inspired, Mark Wahlberg funded Father Stu broke in at number 5 with $8M. Can't seem to find a budget so I figure it is not in the hit column.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just can't get into Harry Potter either. I don't remember all the characters names and their back stories because I didn't read the books. I've seen most of most of the movies because nieces and nephews like it. It's a fun mythology for then just as Star Trek and Star Wars were for me. I was a little young for Star Trek but knew the show by the time of the first movie but Star Wars came out just when I was ready to enjoy it having watched "Dad's sci-fi" for a few years.

I think I know who Dumbledore is.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everything Everywhere All at Once

I cannot recommend this film highly enough. I didn’t expect this, but it was hysterically funny too.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
The heavily promoted The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent came in at 5th place in spite of a respectable critic and audience score of 88%. I am curious to see the film but definitely not a go to the theater title. Personally I would like to see Cage make a movie that revives his career and not a film about his career with the hopes of reviving his career.

Another delayed release "The Bad Guys" came in at number 1 earning $24M with a world wide haul of $87.5M on an $80M budget.

Interesting that Sonic held on to number 2 while Fantastic Beasts dropped to 3. Both should hit the $300M by next weekend with Sonic in the better position at half the budget of Beasts. Wonder if the fans of Harry's world are starting to get burned out?

The Northman (another critic's choice) rolls in at #4 with a world wide take of $24M. I did want to see this one on the big screen.....I guess I better hurry.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Top 5 Domestic Films of 2022 so far:

The Batman
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Uncharted
The Lost City
Scream

Only the first 3 have made it past 100 M.

Looks like neither Fantastic Beasts 3 nor Morbius will make it to 80 M. "Beasts" cost at least 200 M to make and it has only grossed 280 M worldwide.

Posts: 3993 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" has blown up the box office for 2022 with a take of 185M domestically and another 265M internationally. Nice round total of 450M. That sets up the rest of the summer blockbusters, the studios hope.

Have to say I'm really surprised, but I guess I'm just not with it anymore. If time travel stories always annoyed me as being lazy and convenient plot devices, the multiverse is even worse. Infinite worlds with infinite copies of the same people, only all different life choices? And then we can flop them around if they find the door, or the key, or the stone? Seriously. Roll Eyes

All that means is that there are no rules for the writers to follow. There is no logical story, even within the boundaries of an illogical story. Anybody can die, anybody can drop in, and anybody can act like anyone at any point. Outside of watching the special effects, who can care about the characters or the plot?

But I guess a lot of people can, or at least they are willing to spend time and money on it. Doctor Strange and the Scarlet Witch are even second tier Marvel characters, so that this movie has landed this big just means that more and more will just keep coming until the day when the audience says "I don't know what I'm watching or where I am anymore". Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw "The Batman" last night. It was actually free on local cable. I thought everyone was good in their roles. Without tossing out a spoiler, I question messing with the backstory enough to change an established character. Yeah, some people thought it was more realistic and yet the story still held the belief that there are people who stick to a certain path.

I thought it was too long as well. It did seem to end a half-hour before it actually did like "The Return of the King" so I laughed at your comment. It wanted the pauses, the lingering views, but a little trimming in the middle third might have kept me from glancing at the clock. I heard it was more like a detective story like the old Batman comics instead of an action movie so the pace was set slower. The Batmobile was more hot rod than high-tech though it gave a nod to the 60's TV show (flames out the back) but he still had his "wonderful toys."

Yeah, even the Christopher Nolan had a few moments of humor. Nice coat. This one was pretty dry but that fit with the whole mood.

Overall, I still liked it.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Went to go see The Batman last night. Thought Zoe and Robert did well but Serkis didn't convince me as Alfred. Also felt that Jeffrey White was kind of just there.

I liked many of the new set and character designs although Batman's duds seemed more reminiscent of Daredevil to me. The movie really doesn't explain how things work, you just have to go with it.

The Riddler's motives sort of begin like Punisher but then end up like Bane or Tyler Durden. It's a little confusing.

The movie is 3 hrs and after 2 you start to feel it. Several scenes drag out in emo dialogue plus the ending was giving me some Return of the King flashbacks! I didn't even care if there was an end credit scene (there isn't) I was ready to go. I would love to have an Editors reduction cut.

Still!

I did like the movie overall and it does give the franchise a fresh perspective. Lets hope the sequel doesn't get wasted like Wonder Woman was.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Without tossing out a spoiler, I question messing with the backstory enough to change an established character.

You mean the bit where they said that Alfred was the original founder of Dunkin Donuts?

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' in 3D yesterday afternoon. Hopefully no spoilers but I will say don't waste your money watching the 3D version. Just stick to the regular 2D release. Technically, the 3D conversion is fine but it is very obvious that the film was not written or produced with 3D in mind. It's presence adds nothing to the content.

Small aside, there was a trailer for 'Avatar: The Way of Water' before the main feature. This was clearly intended to be a 3D feature from the moment it was first thought up. It should look pretty amazing on a big screen with an accompanying full scale sound track. Not too sure about the storyline and plot though. It looks like it will be much like the original film with added 'family/children' elements. I'm also not too sure how the whole 'Avatar Concept' will fit in and feature, i.e. Jake Skully is no longer dividing his time between his human and avatar bodies. Basically, it's going to look amazing but the story could send me to sleep Smile

Back to Dr Strange. I can understand why this film has received several 3 star ratings. It's not a bad film but not a great deal happens in it. It reminds me a lot of 'Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock'. Again, not a bad film but was only made to bring back Mr Spock. This new film has a very definite purpose but the storyline doesn't really have very much to do with that aspect. To say any more would be a big spoiler.

There are two credit scenes, so don't get up and leave before the credits have finished as that is when the second one appears. One is significant one is a bit of fun.

I'll give it 3.5 stars, probably 4 if I hadn't wasted some money on the 3D version.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I liked Star Trek 3 more than you did. Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon was inspired casting and an impressionist's dream.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:

Back to Dr Strange. I can understand why this film has received several 3 star ratings. It's not a bad film but not a great deal happens in it. It reminds me a lot of 'Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock'. Again, not a bad film but was only made to bring back Mr Spock. This new film has a very definite purpose but the storyline doesn't really have very much to do with that aspect. To say any more would be a big spoiler.

There are two credit scenes, so don't get up and leave before the credits have finished as that is when the second one appears. One is significant one is a bit of fun.

I'll give it 3.5 stars, probably 4 if I hadn't wasted some money on the 3D version.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw "The Batman" last night. It was actually free on local cable. I thought everyone was good in their roles. Without tossing out a spoiler.....

We are probably past the point of spoiler warnings for Batman. Wink Sounds like we pretty much felt the same about it. It won't be one I watch over and over again like the Nolan series.

Going to try and see Dr Strange next week and I generally try to catch it in IMAX. Watching the previews I can't help but wonder how much of its success isn't riding the coat tail of the last Spiderman movie. They seem connected.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's such a long movie. Who has the time to watch it over and over anyway?

quote:
quote:
I saw "The Batman" last night. It was actually free on local cable. I thought everyone was good in their roles. Without tossing out a spoiler.....

We are probably past the point of spoiler warnings for Batman. Wink Sounds like we pretty much felt the same about it. It won't be one I watch over and over again like the Nolan series.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Top 5 Domestic Hits of 2022 so far:

The Batman
Dr. Strange 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Uncharted
The Lost City

Soon the list will no doubt change with Top Gun coming in another week.

Posts: 3993 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Had a slow night, so I caught up with Kenneth Branagh's "Death on the Nile". Since I disliked his "Murder on the Orient Express" and already knew this 90M film lost a lot of money, I figured this would go the same way.

It did, but it was nice photography. Perhaps this will keep Branagh away from Agatha Christie stories for a while. There were two problems to me. First, the all-star cast wasn't really made up of all-star celebrities.

Second, and more importantly, the actual story was kept as a framework and then changed in ways that made no sense. There is a departure from both Christie's novel and the original film. Branagh kept the story in the 1920s - 1930s period, while allowing things to happen that would never have occurred at that time with these types of people. He dropped modern ideas into a vintage setting. Then he changed the plot, out of ego I think, to give his character more scenes. Then he revamped the last third of the mystery to come up with an ending that was weaker and dumber than the original one.

I think this might be the end for this version of Hercule Poirot, at least I hope so. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Maybe Ken will take a crack at playing Miss Marple in the next one.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Caught up on some movie watching.

Dr. Strange was mostly good. I like that it went back to its darker side of story telling. Love or hate the multi-verse concept it does a great job at not losing the audience. Watching Wanda Vision prior to viewing is helpful.

The Lost City is an over used script full of likeable characters. Its a nice ride and makes for a great flick to watch on a lazy weekend. It should do well on after box office platforms.

Ambulance is an explosive mess from the mind of Michael Bay that couldn't decide which social commentary to exploit most. Plus I think he made up a few. Gotta give him credit for making a two hour movie about high drama in an ambulance chase and not much else. Great action but check your brain at the door.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
"Top Gun Maverick" is set to hit a 151M domestic take and 248M total box office for the holiday weekend. Can't say as I ever got it myself, but Tom Cruise seems to be the last star standing that can open a movie all by himself.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Can't say as I ever got it myself, but Tom Cruise seems to be the last star standing that can open a movie all by himself.

Well, Tom Cruise and 10 truckloads of nostalgia. Big Grin I hope to see it this week.

Secondary MARVEL character Dr Strange passes Primary DC character The Batman in both domestic and international box offices. All I know is that I didn't have to wonder what time it was while watching Dr Strange. Has to be bitter sweet for the WB peeps.

Can't find a budget for Bob's Burgers but I'm guessing $15M for the first weekend is good?

Downton Abbey A New Era seems to be struggling on $40M budget. Fortunately it is a film that will have plenty of life in other markets.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Can't say as I ever got it myself, but Tom Cruise seems to be the last star standing that can open a movie all by himself.

Well, Tom Cruise and 10 truckloads of nostalgia. Big Grin I hope to see it this week.

Secondary MARVEL character Dr Strange passes Primary DC character The Batman in both domestic and international box offices. All I know is that I didn't have to wonder what time it was while watching Dr Strange. Has to be bitter sweet for the WB peeps.

I don't think anybody can predict box office anymore and its driving the studios crazy, but the streaming is a big part of it. If the film is cinematic in scope, people will go to the theatre screen. Otherwise they'll wait for it at home, where their paying for all these channels anyway.

DC is too dark and gloomy. Marvel will always win out.

There must be tons of nostalgia for "Top Gun" because isn't it philosophically kind of opposite everything Gen Y and Gen Z is supposed to stand for? Even the studio didn't expect so much money. Maybe the audience just likes rebels and leather bomber jackets. Big Grin Anyway its the aerial photography that people are going to see, so it's probably as simple as a good looking movie.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! Top Gun only dropped 32% and pulled in another $86M this weekend.

Everything Everywhere All at Once seems to be hanging well in the wake of Marvel and Maverick to actually start making some money.