Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2022
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is something.

However, I think that DC is digging themselves into a further hole by constantly re-casting and rebooting

I can't see that any of their 2023 releases will be big hits--Shazam 2, Blue Beetle, The Flash. Is there really a huge interest in any of them ? I don't think so

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tommy C:
However, I think that DC is digging themselves into a further hole by constantly re-casting and rebooting./QUOTE]

That depends on what it is that they are recasting and rebooting. As the saying goes, "mistakes have been made". Sometimes it's better to just cut your losses.

Does anyone still think that Ezra Miller is a sustainable Flash?

I don't know if it was a matter of simply having more money to spend, but compare the on-screen talent in DC movies to what is in Marvel movies. There is no comparison. Just a couple of exceptions that worked out for Warner Brothers on the odd movie. Like Gadot being so good in "Wonder Woman" and even "Justice League", but sinking under the weight of "WW 1984". Which Gadot shows up for the next one?

The DC movies try hard, but come up short because they went more graphic, more violent, less humorous, and darker than Marvel. But also because they draw from a poorer casting pool in general, while the big names can't wait to suit up for Marvel.

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Just a couple of exceptions that worked out for Warner Brothers on the odd movie. Like Gadot being so good in "Wonder Woman" and even "Justice League", but sinking under the weight of "WW 1984". Which Gadot shows up for the next one?

I think you can forgive the actors to some point given their massive egos. Gal is a great Wonder Woman as long as she is directed and written well. Ezra is certainly a special case. Most of the DC actors I have seen (minus Ben Affleck) seem just fine for the roles. The writing is what is a lost art in this universe. Even the last Batman with Pattinson was cycled so much that it walked all over itself. Characters that thought one way in the beginning reversed themselves by the time the film ended.

They must figure out a direction and go with it.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Gal is a great Wonder Woman as long as she is directed and written well.

We may not know for a while. A report just came out that Wonder Woman 3 has been cancelled, or at least the current project is shut down.

And Jason Momoa is said to be switching from Aquaman to Lobo, which seems wasteful. He was a pretty good Aquaman and they can't find any other actor to play Lobo? Granted Aquaman never got a whole lot of respect, but is Lobo a step up? Is anyone clamoring for another bounty hunter anti-hero? I agree, they have no direction, which makes putting an interlocking universe together hard.

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now I have seen it all. Talk about a (once) huge actor who is seemingly willing to do anything.

Saw on the news that Al Pacino appeared at the "Game Awards" which is an event that honors video games...

quote:
It's harder to name the exceptions, than think of once admired male actors who are looking to draw a paycheck from anything in later years. It's usually the guys, only because the ladies have shorter movie careers in general and hopefully have a little more sense. Wink

Al Pacino, Bruce Willis, Nicholas Cage, Val Kilmer, Mickey Rourke, Eric Roberts, Christian Slater, to name a few. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sly Stallone and Johnny Depp now appear in very unreliable work.

Straight to video has many once notable stars that kind of imploded and ran out of money due to excessive behavior or bad health. Some of them made tons of cash in their prime years, but they acquired high maintenance lifestyles along with wives, friends, ex-wives and children to support.

Jack Nicholson didn't quite sell out but is basically retired and unseen these days. Warren Beatty isn't around much either. International actors like Anthony Hopkins have aged and still do quality work, but they may not have had the Hollywood life. RDJ was headed that way until he reformed. Brad Pitt is still going strong, but he's not that old. See what him and DiCaprio are doing in another fifteen or twenty years. They are following in De Niro's footsteps. No matter how much money anybody makes, they can always manage to run through it all if they try hard. Big Grin

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of one of the fun scenes in "Galaxy Quest" when the actors are paid to open an appliance store wearing their old costumes. Big Grin

I feel sorry about including Bruce Willis on that list, but it was posted before his health problem was known. His motive was to get as much work as possible before he had to stop and it's understandable.

For most of the others, they just thought they could spend it all and they would always make more. Bad luck is one thing and bad choices is another. Pacino and De Niro still demand to be treated as acting royalty, even as they hand out junk.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I read something that at one point in the mid to late 1970s before the first Star Trek theatrical film came out in 1979, that Leonard Nimoy's career was in such a slump that he appeared at local malls signing autographs

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Jason Momoa is said to be switching from Aquaman to Lobo, which seems wasteful.

Yeah I agree. For me Lobo came out when I was leaving the comic book world for early adulthood and I know very little about the character. He is certainly not going to strike any common ground with traditional DC fans.

As big as Aquaman was I have had concerns over sustainability.....especially with the writers at WB.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actually, Jack Nicholson did 2 films after that one. He did "The Bucket List" (2007) which was a huge hit and the comedy "How Do You Know" (2010) with Reese Witherspoon, which was a flop.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Jack Nicholson is 85 now, so how much time does he have left ? I don't think he's done a movie since "The Departed", and that was back in 2006, I believe

Warren Beatty has done 1 film over the past 20 years. He is 85 also. He did that film "Rules Don't Apply" which had a very limited release, and bombed.

I was surprised how Stallone has done so many straight to video/VOD action films in recent years, none of which anyone has heard of. In fact, he's done some low budget stuff, where the film was made for a mere 5 M. I see that he's not in Creed 3 coming next year.

Brad Pitt is now 58, so he's not a spring chicken anymore. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now it was announced on Instagram that Henry Cavill will NOT be coming back as Superman. They are looking for a replacement.

A week ago, Henry said that he WAS coming back.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Gal is a great Wonder Woman as long as she is directed and written well.

We may not know for a while. A report just came out that Wonder Woman 3 has been cancelled, or at least the current project is shut down.

And Jason Momoa is said to be switching from Aquaman to Lobo, which seems wasteful. He was a pretty good Aquaman and they can't find any other actor to play Lobo? Granted Aquaman never got a whole lot of respect, but is Lobo a step up? Is anyone clamoring for another bounty hunter anti-hero? I agree, they have no direction, which makes putting an interlocking universe together hard.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Avatar Way of Water reporting a possible $150M weekend.

RT reviews are good at 80%. Looks like many praises for technical achievement while complaints go to the simplistic story that is pretty much the same as the first film.

I think part 3 will be the real indicator for this ambitious project.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just think it is a shame that all of the media interviews for Avatar 2 so far have been with the voice actors comparing boasts about how long they could hold their breath underwater instead of with the real stars of the film. By which I mean the incredibly talented CG SFX artists and animators who actually created what everyone gets to see on the screen Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
I just think it is a shame that all of the media interviews for Avatar 2 so far have been with the voice actors comparing boasts about how long they could hold their breath underwater instead of with the real stars of the film. By which I mean the incredibly talented CG SFX artists and animators who actually created what everyone gets to see on the screen Smile

That's the big change in films that has been coming so slowly for so long that we don't even see it anymore. We don't really need actors to see the characters, we can just draw them up. So now it's the voices that are the stars.

Voice actors used to be their own brand of employment until known actors started getting hired to give the movie more star value. That's going back many years probably well before "Toy Story" even. "Roger Rabbit" was a ground breaker in melding live action and animation, but it wasn't the first time either. Gene Kelly danced with a cartoon mouse in the 1950's, I think. The blending is not new, it just keeps getting better looking.

Anyway now just about every major award-winning actor has moonlighted in some voice role and it's not going to stop. They get pushed out at the premieres as the stars of the production, but it is the CG SFX artists and animators that put the project together. Only they probably don't look so good on the red carpet, and they don't have a piece of the back end. So we get all these big actors talking about how inspiring it was to separately go to the studio and read their lines into a microphone.

That's bad, but it's worse for all those good voice actors who have gotten shoved out of work in the process.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:

That's the big change in films that has been coming so slowly for so long that we don't even see it anymore. We don't really need actors to see the characters, we can just draw them up. So now it's the voices that are the stars.

Voice actors used to be their own brand of employment until known actors started getting hired to give the movie more star value. That's going back many years probably well before "Toy Story" even. "Roger Rabbit" was a ground breaker in melding live action and animation, but it wasn't the first time either. Gene Kelly danced with a cartoon mouse in the 1950's, I think. The blending is not new, it just keeps getting better looking.

Anyway now just about every major award-winning actor has moonlighted in some voice role and it's not going to stop. They get pushed out at the premieres as the stars of the production, but it is the CG SFX artists and animators that put the project together. Only they probably don't look so good on the red carpet, and they don't have a piece of the back end. So we get all these big actors talking about how inspiring it was to separately go to the studio and read their lines into a microphone.

That's bad, but it's worse for all those good voice actors who have gotten shoved out of work in the process.
As you say, having animated characters performing with live action characters has been around for a very long time. All of the Disney movies that featured such things spring to mind, e.g. Mary Poppins and Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

The big step forward with Roger Rabbit was that the 'toons' became rounded actual characters that interacted with the regular human characters rather than just being flat two dimensional creations. They had physical depth. I'd say 3D but that's a whole different area. This is depth of field on a 2D screen.

Computer graphics and animation has taken this to a whole new level as the CG characters can truly interact with their surroundings, the weather, water, whatever they need or the story demands/requires.

The current generation of actors appearing in films like Avatar are taking away work from the motion capture artists as well as the regular voice actors. It would be nice to have a TV interviewer put some of these points to them during the latest round of promotional tours...but it isn't going to happen Frown

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Avatar" is currently the # 12 movie of the year, domestically. Let's see how high it will go.

I don't think it will beat Top Gun, Black Panther, or Dr. Strange, but who knows.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
DC announced that there will NOT be a Black Adam 2.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
DC announced that there will NOT be a Black Adam 2.

I think besides the less than anticipated results, Johnson was disenchanted with it. So how could they get around replacing him.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now it was announced on Instagram that Henry Cavill will NOT be coming back as Superman. They are looking for a replacement.

A week ago, Henry said that he WAS coming back.er hard.
[/QUOTE]

There is now a report that Henry Cavill is guilty of creating a "toxic atmosphere" for female cast mates and that's what got him bounced out of "The Witcher". Could also be a reason why his Superman gig is in doubt. I don't understand how people continue to engage in behavior that they know will bring complaints when they can see other careers ruined. Not smart.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Avatar....apparently the way of water is pretty much the same as the way of forest except for the water part. Visuals are amazing and the story went 40 minutes too long. Cameron is now making scenes that remind you of other Cameron movies. Still unclear how certain offspring came into existence but in general the youth are mostly annoying.