Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2022
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up on "Thor".

Next up, "Nope".

Also looking forward to "Clerks III".

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I'm one of the few that don't care for Ragnarok. It's way too goofy.

There is always one. Big Grin Although I am sure there are others.

Complete opposite for me on the goofy factor. It will be interesting how this weekends numbers hold up. We went to a 4pm IMAX 3D showing on Tues and I was a bit surprised at how few people were there.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface.:
Thumbs up on "Thor".

Next up, "Nope".

Yup! Nope looks really good. So far Jordan has been putting out some very cool and unique stuff.

Bullet Train looks really funny as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface.:
Thumbs up on "Thor".

Next up, "Nope".

Yup! Nope looks really good. So far Jordan has been putting out some very cool and unique stuff.

I was interested in Nope before as a curiosity, but after seeing the full trailer before Thor, I'm all in!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Within another week, the Top 5 of 2022 (so far) will likely be:

TOP GUN
DOCTOR STRANGE
JURASSIC WORLD
BATMAN
MINIONS

THOR will knock SONIC 2 out of sixth place

LIGHTYEAR is stuck in ninth place

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Lightyear wont even catch up to Uncharted. Elvis should pass up Lost City this weekend breaking the $100M mark

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The new animated "Paws of Fury" opened this weekend, and bombed.

Only made a mere 6 M

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I have been taking advantage of 5.50 ticket Tuesday at the local cinema.
The Barrett (age 47)Lillian (age 12)thumbs up or thumbs down!
Downton Abbey 2 two thumbs up
Top Gun Maverick. 2 thumbs up
Minions: the rise of Gru 2 thumbs up
Elvis: a shaky thumbs up from me, thumbs up from lillian (her favorite of what we have seen)
Lightyear: 2 thumbs down. Saw the fighting earlier and that issue did not matter to us. It was just a dull movie, nothing special about the animation to make it stand out. No laughs.
Thor: Love and Thunder 2 thumbs down. Both thought it was too silly and not in the funny way (that would be minions).

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Am I the only who thinks "Where the crawdads sing" is a terrible name for a movie?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Thor slowing down much quicker than Jurassic World in its second weekend while looking at a higher production budget of $250M. A $65M difference between the two.

On a budget of $25M Where the Crawdads Sing rolled in higher than expected with $17M.

Haven't seen legs on a movie like Top Gun since Titanic. As stated before I don't get it but people are definitely going to see it more than once.

Ouch! Paws of Fury (supposedly a loose adaptation of Blazing Saddles) should lose quite a bit for investors. Especially seeing that it was slated for a 2017 release. From what I have read there should be some international numbers coming in.

Elvis has passed Lost City for the number 11 spot, lets see if it has enough gas to pass up Lightyear.

Up next is NOPE with Bullet Train two weeks later. Not sure if DC League of Super Pets will be a wrench in the works or not.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's based on the popular 2018 novel of the same name.

quote:
Am I the only who thinks "Where the crawdads sing" is a terrible name for a movie?

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

quote:

Don't know about popularity, but unless they pivot away from that novel, it's going to be one sloooow movie.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

quote:

I understand that....still a terrible name for a movie.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Jurassic World" is less than 9 M away from surpassing "The Batman". Will it do it ?

"Elvis", which is now # 10 for the year, is about 7 M away from passing "Lightyear"

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

From what I can tell there are at least 5 ideas or film shots in "Nope" that have been lifted from old movies. See if you can pick them out when you see them. If he gets called on it, Peele will probably say it's a homage. Big Grin

"Get Out" opened at 33M and "US" at 71M. They are predicting this one in the middle. I would have thought the take will be closer to, if not better than, "US". Unless they feel that neither the UFO fans or the horror fans will be completely satisfied.

Peele has thrown in a lot of symbolism too, but if you don't get it all, I don't think it hurts any.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Looks like 8 out of the top 10 are either a hit or will be. Elvis is hanging stronger than I thought it would. I don't think it has $30M left but will be interesting to see it make a run for the number 9 spot of the year.

Nope
Thor 4
Minions
Singing Crawdads
Maverick
Elvis
Paws of Fury
Black Phone
Jurassic World
Mrs Harris

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Elvis" is now up to almost 119 M domestically, passing by Disney's "Lightyear"

Ironically, they are reporting on the news that Graceland is having severe financial problems

"Jurassic" is less than 4 M behind "The Batman" for the # 3 spot of the year, so far.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

Ironically, they are reporting on the news that Graceland is having severe financial problems

Wow! Practically need a guide map in bonds and taxes to figure out what is going on there. I had no idea Graceland had gotten so complicated. Cheap adult tickets are $77 with a VIP at $150.

I guess with every new building project there is Priscilla walking around saying "It's what Elvis would have wanted" which is both sad and hilarious.

It does sound like tourist numbers are shooting up and that all involved will eventually make nice.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Costs that much, huh. I'm not from that part of the country, but I would have as much interest in seeing Graceland as I would Jackson's Neverland or Prince's Paisley Park. No interest at all.

Unless you are into the architecture or landscape layouts, those places certainly didn't make their owners any happier or any saner. Probably contributed to the opposite. So making pilgrimages to their Estate shrines just keeps the heirs in bling in my opinion.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Unless you are into the architecture or landscape layouts, those places certainly didn't make their owners any happier or any saner. Probably contributed to the opposite. So making pilgrimages to their Estate shrines just keeps the heirs in bling in my opinion.

Apparently a car and Elvis fashion museum, history of other musicians at the time and a 450 room hotel. Guess there have been talks of a concert venue as well. Quite honestly I am surprised that wasn't thought of years ago. I was a recruiter in Tupelo and drove up to Memphis many times. Often went past Graceland but never had much interest. Never went to his birth cabin in Tupelo either and I lived there for 3 years.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Top 10 of 2022 domestically, as of August 1

TOP GUN
DOCTOR STRANGE 2
JURASSIC WORLD
BATMAN
MINIONS
THOR (may pass Minions soon)
SONIC 2
UNCHARTED
ELVIS
LIGHTYEAR