Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2022
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
With Scream 5 hitting theaters this weekend I guess we should kick off the new year.

Superhero movie Morbius with Jared Leto on the 28th.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Maybe I've been hanging out in the wrong places, but I heard zero about Scream 5 until a 30 second TV ad the other day that told me nothing. Out mid-January, does not "scream" hit. Big Grin

Morbius trailers out years ago. I feel like I already saw it. Jared Leto always tries so hard to be that weird, tortured guy. If Joaquin Phoenix can't fit it into his schedule, Leto's up next. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Looks like Scream may be the years first hit.

Estimate $36M first weekend box office over a $25M budget.

Also set to dethrone Spider-Man from number 1

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Scream has made about 37 M in a week. Not sure how impressive that is. Let's see how it does this weekend.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
It has no real competition this weekend. It will be in full on profit mode by Monday. Personally I think it is already there which doesn't include the international haul.

Just re-watched the original before going to check it out.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If you followed Scream thru the whole series, you know that Sidney, Gale and Dewey have been stuck doing the same thing their entire lives. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
If you followed Scream thru the whole series, you know that Sidney, Gale and Dewey have been stuck doing the same thing their entire lives. Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Yeah I know, but it has been a few years since I saw it. Sometimes I get my Scream for my Final Destination because I Know What You Did Last Summer watching that Scary Movie mixed up. Razz

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Even though Spider-Man climbed back on top Scream has doubled it's production budget domestically. International bucks still rolling in.

Something called Sing 2 seems to be doing well....as well. Smile

Girl power spy movie The 355 will have to roll around on cable television for a decade to break even. Basic critic complaints were "Great cast meets dried up recycled script" I felt that way just watching the preview.

Don't know how well American Underdog is doing as I can't find a posted budget. Previews come off as most other Hollywood biographies that tells me if I want to know what REALLY happened I need to do some reading.

Ghostbusters is about to hit $200M on the world wide box office. Not a grand slam but it's making money.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
JackA$$ Forever rolled double its production budget this weekend. Although a series I have never gone to the theater to see it is certainly a hit already.

Moonfall made $10M against its $140M budget. Emmerich gives us two disasters for the price of one. I can only guess it's another case of a visual master who needs to back away from the pen or word processor.

Spider-Man, Scream and Sing 2 are all hits.

4 out of 5 on the upside. Not sure we have seen that in a while.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Moonfall made $10M against its $140M budget. Emmerich gives us two disasters for the price of one.

The curse of Halle Berry strikes again. Big Grin

Seriously Moonfall sounds like an episode of Space 1999. The storyline is a rehash of a bunch of better movies. People might tune in when it streams, but it's not worth the hassle of going to a theatre just for a bigger screen to see things blow up.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, Halle Berry hasn't had a hit since Pierce Brosnan's last Bond film in 2002.

Her career has been all downhill since then. Probably was a mistake for her to take that role.

Sad that an Oscar winner never went anywhere after her victory. It's been all bad action films over the past 20 years.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Yes, Halle Berry hasn't had a hit since Pierce Brosnan's last Bond film in 2002.

Her career has been all downhill since then. Probably was a mistake for her to take that role.

Sad that an Oscar winner never went anywhere after her victory. It's been all bad action films over the past 20 years.

I have to be honest I wasn't all that impressed with the role she won an oscar for. She has been in some stuff I liked (X-men trilogy, John Wick) but I don't think I've seen anything that she was supposed to be the lead that I have really cared for. Seems like everything she is in she plays the same person. Kind of like Tom Cruise.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to be honest I wasn't all that impressed with the role she won an oscar for.

Yeah, but even back when Berry won, the Oscars were a long way from the days when winning an Academy acting award meant you were a bankable star in a popular movie. Just look at today's announced list of 2021 Oscar nominees for films that made peanuts because few people have or will ever watch them. You are never going to see Dwayne Johnson up there on stage except as a presenter and who is more bankable?

There is a slew of A-list actors who keep headlining films that turn into bomb after bomb, and yet some are still making millions for each one. Berry is not fortunate enough to be on top anymore, but she is still "name enough" to work.

You may disagree with this, but I would compare her very much to Angelina Jolie, who also won an Oscar, even though I never considered her any better than your average serviceable actress. Jolie has gone on a tear of terrible movies that she not only stars in, but also produces and directs. When I see her name on anything, just like when I see George Clooney's name on anything, I run away.

The only difference between Jolie and Berry, and it makes a big difference, is Disney. Jolie hooked up with that studio for the two Maleficent films and Eternals. They will use her again. The Disney movies aren't great, but they make lots of money and they have kept her rich and bankable, even with doing bomb after bomb on her own. Berry doesn't have the luxury of falling back on a sure thing, so her career has suffered.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You are correct, aside from Disney films, Jolie's last money maker was "The Tourist" in 2010.

Unless you count her voice work in Kung Fu Panda 2 and 3, but I wouldn't really count those.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

You may disagree with this, but I would compare her very much to Angelina Jolie, who also won an Oscar, even though I never considered her any better than your average serviceable actress. Jolie has gone on a tear of terrible movies that she not only stars in, but also produces and directs. When I see her name on anything, just like when I see George Clooney's name on anything, I run away.

I do not disagree at all. There are movies that make the actor and there are actors who make the movie. Jolie and Berry are in the first category. Oscar winners should be in the second. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Unless we think Death on the Nile is going to rake in some box office big bucks it looks like not much will change this weekend.

Although Tom Holland has been a bit of a disappointment outside of web slinging, next week's Uncharted could shake things up.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless we think Death on the Nile is going to rake in some box office big bucks it looks like not much will change this weekend.

I saw "Murder on The Orient Express" with Branagh directing and starring as Hercule Poirot. The film was awful compared to the Albert Finney version and Branagh is a second-rate Poirot to Peter Ustinov and even the actor who played him on TV.

Of the three Christie movies generally connected, "Orient Express, Death on the Nile and Evil Under the Sun", Death on the Nile is the most boring. Furthermore, this all-star cast isn't that much besides maybe Gadot. It has been waiting to be released for so long now, it actually has Armie Hammer in it, and we know where his career has since gone. Eek

So I would hope this puts an end to it before we get another "Evil Under the Sun", which is an amusing DVD BTW, but that's Maggie Smith and Diana Rigg.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Never really got into them and almost positive I have never seen one in the theater. Saw that Gal was in it but she seems to be riding the mediocre train since her fall in WW84.

Speaking of mediocre trains, my son and I went to go check out Moonfall yesterday. Mostly Emmerich ripping off Emmerich and a few others. Timelines and logic have no place whatsoever even in the parts where it should.

I know we were beating up on the cast but I have to give the group points on charm and humor. No riveting performances but certainly a bump up from the 1 dimensional dredge in Day After Tomorrow. Enough to possibly push it into one of those goofy cult classics years from now. Maybe even in the streaming releases.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
1 Death on the Nile $12,800,000 Budget $90M World Wide $33.5M
2 Jack@$$ Forever $37,420,000 Budget $10M World Wide $47.5M
3 Marry Me $8,000,000 Budget $23M World Wide $16.5M
4 Spider-Man $759,000,817 Budget $200M World Wide $1.8B
5 Blacklight $3,600,000 Budget $43M World Wide $3.6M

I think it is safe to say the latest regurgitated action flick from Liam Neeson is a miss.

A little early to tell with Death on the Nile, Murder on the Orient Express made $350M with 70% coming in from outside the US.

The gimmick or hook for Marry Me is stupid while the rest of it looks to fall into the basic romance flick formula. If the international audience is nice to it maybe it will break even. On the bright side it's doing better than Gigli already!! Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It is interesting how Liam Neeson went from a dramatic actor in 1993's "Schindler's List", to the Star Wars prequels in 1999, to "The A-Team" in 2010, to a seemingly never ending series of cop/revenge movies that all seem to be the SAME old stuff. Maybe he's getting paid well.