Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer 2018 Films
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
The third Avengers film comes out in late April, but between late May and August, we have these:

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Mission Impossible 6

Ocean's 8

Jurassic World 2

Ant Man and the Wasp

Deadpool 2

Incredibles 2

Which do you think will be hits ?

Posts: 3995 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Box office being what it is these days, being a hit movie has nothing to do with being a good movie. Big Grin

Having said that, it is quite possible that they will all be hits, but the only one that I think is a guarantee is Jurassic World. It has dinosaurs and you know what to expect, kids and adults will go.

The one I personally want to see the most is Ocean's 8. The trailers look funny and the line up of actresses is stellar. I love the clothes. Most of all, this one looks like they made it knowing it was stupid fun, rather than the over serious, boring capers that the Clooney Ocean films became. I think it will make money as a good date night flick the ladies won't mind seeing. Not Jurassic money, but still money.

Both Solo and Mission Impossible may suffer from fatigue, so they should do well, but I wouldn't be shocked if one or both underperformed. The last two Star Wars films from the current trilogy have been disappointing. I know they made a fortune, that's not the point. People are starting to reluctantly admit that the movies really have nothing to add to Star Wars, but they must finish it up. Solo, with a new cast, may not catch on. After all, we already know where he ends up. Mission Impossible is growing a gray beard, much like Tom Cruise. International film goers still love him and may carry this one all by themselves, or it could be a bomb like Jack Reacher. I have no interest in either one of these two.

Incredibles 2 may work well as a kid's film. My only reservation is that it took so long to get here and the first one was sly enough to have a lot for adults. I don't expect a blockbuster, but I think it might do well with the target audience.

Ant Man and Deadpool, I have no idea. The first Deadpool came out of nowhere and was like lightning in a bottle. I think that trying to do that again may produce an awful copy. Ant Man was a similar story of a secondary superhero who made for a better than expected action movie. Now it will be expected. They could be hits again, but I also can see one or both going down in flames.

Part of it will be the movie release schedule. If two of these films come out on the same weekend, or back to back weekends, they will cut the money up badly. If they are spaced away from each other, they can pick up good numbers. That's what happened with Jumangi and Black Panther. They may be good films, but they were made better by a lack of quality competition. That's something that summer movies have trouble with, they have to split audiences that can't afford to go to the movies every week. Just my opinion of course, I'm frequently proved wrong by the money. Wink

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think you're right about possible Star Wars fatigue

After Solo, we have Episode IX in 2019, and then they're doing a whole NEW trilogy after that, supposedly ?

Which means, another 6 to 8 more Star Wars card sets by Topps, per year, for eternity !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
A bit late in early August, but definitely a summer movie, is The Meg. This is a cross between Jaws and The Abyss and looks more like a guilty pleasure than a blockbuster. However by August most of the big A movie releases will have a lull and it could sneak in with decent numbers. Who doesn't love a big shark? I also like second tier hero Statham, so I will be seeing it anyway.

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
These are the movies I plan to make an effort to see at the cinema. The only one I can see not reaching studio expectations is Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Avengers: Infinity War - Apr-27
Deadpool 2 - Jun-01
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Jun-08
The Incredibles 2 - Jul-13
Ant-Man and The Wasp - Aug-03
X-Men: Dark Phoenix - Nov-02
Aquaman - Dec-14
The New Mutants - August 2nd 2019

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
You will have to wait a few more months for X-men:dark phoenix as it has been delayed until Feb.2019.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Saw Avengers Infinity War in IMAX and liked it very much.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wonder if Avengers will do better than SOLO ?

Within less than a week's time, it is already almost up to 300 M domestically.

Posts: 3995 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This isn't a summer movie, but VENOM (the Spider-Man villain) has his own film coming in October, starring Tom Hardy

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Wonder if Avengers will do better than SOLO ?

YES!

The reviews are coming in now for Solo and, for what they are worth, they are all over the place. My one local paper gave it 1 star and the other one gave it 4 stars. Someone must be wrong. Big Grin

I will say that I watched a PR piece the other day where Harrison Ford greeted Aiden Ehrenrich at an interview. Ford towered over Ehrenrich when he stood up. Ford lists as 6'1 and Ehrenrich as 5'9. It looked like the difference was more than that.

Emilia Clarke is all of 5'2, so she will help him look taller, but c'mon. Solo didn't grow any more between this one and Star Wars New Hope. Oh well.

Speaking of Clarke, she has yet to do anything big as a brunette, which is her natural color. Her few movies have not been good, including the last Terminator and the depressing You Before Me. She needs a hit badly, before she has to wear that blond Game of Thrones wig forever. Wink

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
I can't see Solo living up to the hype. I honestly didnt care for ROUGE despite the good cast. I think they're over doing the Star Wars films and should space them out (haha) a bit.

Didnt know Mission Impossible 6 was coming out. Hoping to see Ocean's 8 it looks good despite the over hype about the all female cast. It's down to the plot line.

Jurassic World 2 is just a guaranteed hit this summer. Looking forward to Antman and the Wasp but dont know if it'll be a huge hit? Big but dont know about huge. But this is by UK standards not US.

Deadpool 2's a hit already and I think Incredibles 2 is another shoe in for a summer blockbuster.

I'm catching SW SOLO and DP2 this weekend and next.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So Solo did not do nearly the business it was supposed to over the holiday weekend. Numbers having it coming in is at a franchise low of 83.3 M domestic and $65 M internationally, which should have beat the domestic take. The production cost 250M before promotional add on.

Deadpool 2 also got hurt in its second week too. The opening weekend was big with 125M, but with Solo coming in, it dropped 66% to 42.7M.

First off, summer movies or not, the studios can't keep all these blockbusters pinned into May, June and July and expect them to rack up the huge dollars they need for 6 - 8 weeks. Each one is getting knocked off by the next one. People can not afford to go to the movies every week, especially not people with families. They will probably see all these films eventually, but they will see them on DVD or streaming, not all in theatres. These blockbusters cost too much to make back their money in a single opening weekend, they have to be spaced out from other big releases. Look at Black Panther, look at Thor: Ragnarok, they racked up big box office coming out before the better competition.

Secondly, Star Wars fatigue is real, finally. It should have been here already, but wishful thinking has kept the current trilogy sputtering along with its still good production scenes, but its lackluster and repetitive story line that has gotten even worse with the second installment. I guess recasting characters for prequels and sequels and stand alone offshoots may finally be too much even for the faithful.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So Solo did not do nearly the business it was supposed to over the holiday weekend. Numbers having it coming in is at a franchise low of 83.3 M domestic and $65 M internationally, which should have beat the domestic take. The production cost 250M before promotional add on

You raised a lot of good points. Hollywood needs a new business model. Reboots and franchises out staying their welcome on budgets that gamble a return just aren't working.

I know SKY offers same week streaming as cinema releases. Maybe cinema will eventually have to offer a streaming equivalent that will COUNT towards revenue and 'ticket' sales.

The way the music industry argues about counting streaming services equal to downloads. Even Spielberg said that Hollywood cannot continue to waste 4 billion on a handful of carefully chosen films hoping each will be gold blockbusters with record breaking returns.

I think we need original scripts again new blood in the film industry. Even praised La La Land for being an original script and I saw it in cinema but it was not worth the hype or awards it got in my opinion.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post