Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WandaVision
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted
Anyone watch the first 2 episodes yet?
Glad they dropped both, but now I want more! Big Grin

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it yesterday its strangely addictive. I have no idea why I liked it but I did.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Watched the first two and know it will get faster a few more episodes in so just waiting for it to pick up.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I watched the first two as well. I enjoyed it. Of course Scarlet Witch (Wanda) was on the character I collected her appearances in Marvel Comics so this has been a real treat.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No more Mutants . . .
. . . Errr, I mean “WandaVision” to watch this Friday.
But the making of/behind the scenes show is pretty interesting.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I caught one episode, I think it was the third episode. I didn't know what was going on and, given later recaps I read, probably would not have know what was going on even if I had seen it from the beginning.

I wonder how popular this type of Marvel or DC or Star Wars, or whatever big universe franchise show you might think of, really is? Or is it just that the market platform is small, so popular viewing can be minimal and still be considered successful?

Perhaps I like my entertainment less complex, but I can't be bothered to know the complete history of a franchise to understand what is going on. I can't make all the character connections, or find all the hidden Easter eggs, or anticipate how this storyline will eventually link up with some other storyline that is running in some other time or place.

It's not that I only want mindless entertainment, but superheroes and mutants should be mindless entertainment since they are not real. I just want to enjoy that stuff for the nonsense it is and not have to read a book to explain what I was looking at.

I feel exactly the same way about something like Twin Peaks too. It makes no sense. People get so invested in some of these shows for years and years, they just don't want to admit that it makes no sense. It's Lost all over again. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching the 3rd episode. I liked it in color much better. It has a multi generational feeling. The show is silly fun.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My brother told me about the show and said I should check it out. I've seen the first two episodes and I do like it. For this show, I think you really needed to see the first episode first and then the second rather than a random one out-of-sequence. I'm not up on most of the behind-the-scenes details either. I have heard about the Easter Eggs but haven't looked for them.

I started watching television in the early 70's, "watching" meaning understanding what I was seeing and hearing. "Brady Bunch", "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and "Partridge Family" were primetime then. All the reruns of the time were 50's and 60's shows and I watched it all. I've enjoyed the re-creation of the look of previous TV decades for the first two "Wandavision" episodes because I was present for a lot of 50's and 60's stuff (cars, furniture, appliances, tech) in everyday life. It was still around in the 70's. I would wonder how many 20-30 year-olds enjoy the evolution of everything from one episode to another or if it is just a bunch of old stuff to them but I have been surprised at how familiar many of them are with various eras of 20th century pop culture. I've worked with people in their early 20's who have caught me slipping a Beatles quote (and not an obvious one) in a conversation and I have caught another singing an old Bill Withers tune.

My mom saw the first episode. She understood that they were going for a 50's look and she could appreciate the attention to detail but she'd rather watch a show from that time rather than an artful re-creation of that time.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,

I might watch that one tonight. It was interesting that the second episode had a spoof of the "Bewitched" opening credits along with flickers of color during the episode. That show was one of those that was filmed in black-and-white early in its run and switched to color by 1966-1967.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by stevetrek:
Just finished watching the 3rd episode. I liked it in color much better. It has a multi generational feeling. The show is silly fun.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Definitely have to watch the show in order. The first 3 episodes are in filmed in B&w and can be fairly difficult for some to get through, but it’s part of the set up for the remainder of the show.

Since it’s only 9 episodes so you don’t have to invest as my time into as as a show like Lost or Twin Peaks. Knowing the backstory from the various Marvel movies are helpful, but not a necessity. The making of/behind the scenes episode fills in many of the nuances of went on in the show.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've seen only some of the Marvel movies so I'm not up on all the details (haven't seen Endgame yet but have heard bits of what happened). I haven't felt like it was necessary to have all the background to enjoy what's gone on so far - now four episodes in.

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Definitely have to watch the show in order. The first 3 episodes are in filmed in B&w and can be fairly difficult for some to get through, but it’s part of the set up for the remainder of the show.

Since it’s only 9 episodes so you don’t have to invest as my time into as as a show like Lost or Twin Peaks. Knowing the backstory from the various Marvel movies are helpful, but not a necessity. The making of/behind the scenes episode fills in many of the nuances of went on in the show.