Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WALKING DEAD
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
There's no Walking dead season 6 finale thread here ? doesn't anyone care ?

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
You mean people are actually still watching that programme ?

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:

What's better right now ? certainly not the tacky joke called Game of Thrones ?

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Game of Thrones doesn't just have zombies (yes that is what White Walkers are), it has dragons and witches and psychos and lots of nasty stuff. GoT eats WD for breakfast. Big Grin

To be truthful, the reason I stopped watching WD was because I found it so constantly depressing. For some reason I can enjoy GoT without taking it seriously, but WD is just a grim world with no future for the characters.

As to your point, people don't seem to participate in threads about the TV shows anymore. I liked to read them, even if I wasn't watching the show. But then there are spoilers and a few people have read the books and not everyone is up-to-date and somebody complains and before you know it the thread dies.

You should try to start it again for WD, maybe you'll have better luck. Smile

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Red Dwarf Series 11 Big Grin

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So without spoilers, the first new episode aired and the barbed bat has swung. This is why I stopped watching WD every week and why I eventually stopped sporadic viewing. Because GoT has so many fantasy elements, its easier for me to invest in characters that come and go. WD is brutally realistic, especially when its human on human. I liked it for awhile, but then I enjoyed it less and less. I still follow the plot, but not sorry I quit.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Game of Thrones doesn't just have zombies (yes that is what White Walkers are), it has dragons and witches and psychos and lots of nasty stuff. GoT eats WD for breakfast. Big Grin

To be truthful, the reason I stopped watching WD was because I found it so constantly depressing. For some reason I can enjoy GoT without taking it seriously, but WD is just a grim world with no future for the characters.

As to your point, people don't seem to participate in threads about the TV shows anymore. I liked to read them, even if I wasn't watching the show. But then there are spoilers and a few people have read the books and not everyone is up-to-date and somebody complains and before you know it the thread dies.

You should try to start it again for WD, maybe you'll have better luck. Smile

Walking dead doesn't have psychos ? heard of Negan ? Dragons are like dinosaurs, they are boring, they don't float my boat, GOT is like True blood and Spartacus, laughable rubbish, with pathetic seaside postcard nudity.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walking dead doesn't have psychos ? heard of Negan ? Dragons are like dinosaurs, they are boring, they don't float my boat, GOT is like True blood and Spartacus, laughable rubbish, with pathetic seaside postcard nudity.

Sure have, and the Governor before him too. Next week you will see a new psycho with a pet tiger no less. With all these psycho leaders of crazy communities that our rag tag bunch of WD survivors keep finding, don't you think that's getting a bit boring? Every season an ever more brutal King to cross, run from and eventually kill, while we the viewers cry over whatever beloved cast members have bite the dust by year end.

Walking Dead or Game of Thrones, it's all laughable rubbish. Just a matter of what you find entertaining rubbish. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1980s, The Walking Dead would have been classed as a 'Video Nasty' here in the UK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_nasty

Explicit, gratuitous violence was their main selling point. Sad to think that this sort of thing is thought of as Prime Time TV entertainment these days Shake Head

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sure have, and the Governor before him too. Next week you will see a new psycho with a pet tiger no less.

So far tiger guy is kinda stupid, more of a misguided youth pastor in post apocalyptic zombieland.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:

Sure have, and the Governor before him too. Next week you will see a new psycho with a pet tiger no less.

So far tiger guy is kinda stupid, more of a misguided youth pastor in post apocalyptic zombieland.

I don't actually follow this on a weekly basis anymore, but he will probably turn out to join forces with Rick's bunch, at least for awhile. This season is all about killing Negan, just like it was all about killing the Governor.

I kind of got tired of the relentless gore myself, but even if you disregard that, WD has fallen into a very predictable pattern. They really can't shake it up anymore because it has hit the extreme and there is nowhere to go. If they kill Rick, a few more people will cry and then pick a new leader. If they kill Daryl, the show will be over. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Negan's going to be around for a while, for the rest of this season for sure and likely all of next season (if not beyond that, even).

As for where the show has to go, the comic is at least two or three seasons ahead of the TV narrative and selling well (top 10 in a market otherwise totally dominated by Marvel and DC), and a lot of people are still watching the show, so no way either one wraps up anytime soon.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Negan's going to be around for a while, for the rest of this season for sure and likely all of next season (if not beyond that, even).

You could be right, I don't read the comic and have no knowledge of the storyline or how closely WD sticks to the source material. I do believe I read early on that the character of Daryl Dixon was an invention of the show itself, which is why he has no expiration date. It also indicates that the show writers can do as they please with the narrative.

As for Negan, knowing nothing about his comic life, two things make me think he goes at the conclusion of this season. The TV audience wants vengeance and they are not going to simmer for 2 or 3 years to get it. Bad enough to wait till the season conclusion to see Negan get what he deserves.

The second consideration is the actor playing Negan, Jeffrey Dean Morgan. He is a star in his own right and is doing what amounts to a flashy guest star turn. I would say that it's similar to when John Lithgow played the Trinity Killer for one year in Dexter. I would not expect him to hang around for more than a season, because than he starts to play second banana to Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus instead of the Big Bad.

Continuing TV series like this have to keep changing that Big Bad because they can't replace the entire original cast and expect fans to keep watching.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't actually follow this on a weekly basis anymore, but he will probably turn out to join forces with Rick's bunch, at least for awhile. This season is all about killing Negan, just like it was all about killing the Governor.

I kind of got tired of the relentless gore myself, but even if you disregard that, WD has fallen into a very predictable pattern. They really can't shake it up anymore because it has hit the extreme and there is nowhere to go. If they kill Rick, a few more people will cry and then pick a new leader. If they kill Daryl, the show will be over. Big Grin

I think the "no one is safe" concept still has wide appeal but I agree with you that it is still just a zombie story. There is not much depth to zombies. It would be nice to see the producers introduce something creative to that side of the equation. Still there are about a 3rd of the shows that do very little but drag things out or possibly ruin someone's career. The show that featured Tara was bad.

The awful spin off show has dismissed the zombie threat so much that they might as well not be there. Especially if they aren't going to eat the stupid humans that so desperately deserve it. Wink

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Zombies, when developed in the usual sense, have no personality. That takes away from them being interesting individual villains and makes it just a mindless mob kind of thing. Certain stories have tried to create evolved zombies, but they haven't really caught on.

I Zombie, the TV show, was just creepy and unpleasant. I'm not sure if it was renewed, I haven't seen it mentioned this year yet. Movies like 28 Days created faster and stronger zombies, but still they have no existence beyond killing. Dylan Dog had a zombie sidekick as the comic relief. He had a personality, but that movie was a straight to DVD mess.

Walking Dead, and before that the whole Night, Dawn and Day of the Living Dead string, are about the survivors. The zombies are just what put them there. So they are really just stories about the end of the world and that gets pretty depressing to watch. In WD, the humans that are left have become something much worse than the mindless zombies. Monster movies are a lot more fun than exploring the dark side of human nature.

For one thing we know that the monsters are not real. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I Zombie is actually picked up for a 3rd season and BBC's In The Flesh puts sort of the same but much less comical view on the subject, which only lasted two seasons. Then there was Warm Bodies, the Life Time movie of the week Zombie show.

I think the fast zombies are really cool but all of these variances with much higher mental and motor functions slowly eliminates the zombie concept. For example, is the chick in I Zombie closer to a Zombie or a Cannibal?

For as unreal they are this really poses a philosophical dilemma that stoners and college gamer groups should be solving all across America. Cool

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So just as we are talking about this, check out the new Netflix comedy/horror series Santa Clarita Diet. It has Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant as a married couple that has to deal with the fact that the wife has become a zombie. So they do a Dexter and only kill and eat bad people.

These are not spoilers, its all in the first trailer.

Funny, no not really, seen it all before. Kind of sad watching these fairly good actors drenched in red goo and chewing on rubber arms. Roll Eyes

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Just watched the Trailer, ouch!

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
I made it through 1/2 episode of Santa Clarita Diet...pitiful.

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
I made it through 1/2 episode of Santa Clarita Diet...pitiful.

Hate to tell you, but Netflix just renewed Santa Clarita Diet for a second season some time around late 2018. Guess somebody finds it funny, or maybe they just want to hold unto bigger name stars. But yeah, the parts I saw, which I guess they think are the best parts, were pitiful. Roll Eyes