Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2020
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yahoo reports that Wonder Woman 84 has grossed almost 29 M domestically so far which means that it is now the # 11 film of 2020. Looks like it dropped significantly in Week 2 which suggests that people are staying home to watch it on HBO.

Posts: 2726 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It looks like Hollywood just can't do cat people. For all the advances in make up, costumes and CGI, the fully transformed Cheetah of WW84 was only marginally better than the fur balls of Cats. They went for a realistic CGI version of the comic character and it just didn't work. They should have left Wiig half baked. Big Grin

Decades ago they showed cat people in films as shadows on the wall and the audience had to use their imaginations. Sometimes less is more.

Posts: 8176 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Wonder Woman is struggling to make the Top 10 films of 2020, domestically.

It is stuck at # 11, having made less than 33 M so far. Meanwhile, the # 10 film, Croods, is up to about 37 M.

Was it a mistake to release it in theaters ? Perhaps they should have waited.

Posts: 2726 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Something called The Marksman, starring Liam Neeson, has unseated Wonder Woman 1984 at the weekend box office with a grand domestic total of $3.2M.

WW84 is up to $141.7 worldwide box office after 3 weekends, but it cost over $200M. What is less clear to me is how much it made with the HBO Max deal?

Same thing with Netflix announcing one new movie a week for 2021 and getting these all-star cast productions going very fast. The studios and the streaming channels have to be making money on these deals, even if its not movie theatre money.

If COVID ever goes away, and increasingly more its beginning to look like it won't, some things in business and regular life don't look like they will ever return to "normal".

Somebody's going to have to start a 2021 Hits and Misses thread, but I don't know if it even matters. Wink

Posts: 8176 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the "big" 2021 releases are really going to make it to theaters this year, or will they be kicked off until 2022 ?

Is the new James Bond film really coming out this April, after originally being scheduled for fall 2019 ? Is Top Gun really coming out this summer ?

Why would they release these if hundreds of millions of dollars will be lost ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They are now saying the Bond release will be delayed until at least October 2021, maybe later.

Sounds like millions of dollars have been lost due to the 2 year delay.

Posts: 4420 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At the present time, "Wonder Woman 84" is about 5 M behind "Croods 2" for the # 10 spot of 2020 Domestic releases.

What a disaster for Warner Bros. WW84 cost at least 200 M to make and so far it has grossed about 38 M in the U.S.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
WW84 is up to $141.7 worldwide box office after 3 weekends, but it cost over $200M. What is less clear to me is how much it made with the HBO Max deal?

From a company point of view, HBO and Warner are owned by the same company, so a net nothing.

Posts: 1034 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

From a company point of view, HBO and Warner are owned by the same company, so a net nothing.

Then it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have not held off on the release until some movie chains were operating with enough capacity to make a decent box office..

I know that they didn't charge streaming subscribers a separate fee to see WW84, as Disney has done. So revenue had to come from advertisers or some sort of accounting transaction between the corporations. WB is going to put all their 2021 movies on HBO Max the same day as released and there is no way they are not getting some kind of revenue from it. They would go bankrupt, losing potentially millions per film, if they just let them stream essentially for free.

At the very least, they would have to switch to a pay-per-play model or raise the subscription fee through the roof. I think there is something hidden that makes this work for the studio.