Hits and Misses of 2020

This topic can be found at:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/5687063296

March 28, 2020, 03:53 PM
Raven
Hits and Misses of 2020
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I recently saw the 2019 animated kids' movie "Wonder Park" with the voices of Jennifer Garner and Matthew Broderick.

Very strange movie. I can see why it did not do well last year at the box office.ck up a ton of revenue.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Call of the Wild is about to be released early for streaming. This is another movie made for some unknown audience. Yes it's a classic story and it has Harrison Ford giving a nice performance, but as live action its a brutal film to watch.

Buck is the star and Buck suffers throughout. Young children and animal lovers don't want to watch non-stop misery to get to some happy part. The more realistic they make these types of tear jerker animal movies, the worst they are to sit through. Call of the Wild lost about 100M at the box office and will be one of many big losers in 2020. Good.
April 02, 2020, 04:56 PM
David R
They moved the new "Top Gun" film from June until December.

They also moved "Ghostbusters" to 2021.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,
June 29, 2020, 05:55 PM
Tommy C
Supposedly AMC will be opening movie theaters July 30.

Given that things are supposedly getting worse, we will see if this turns out to be true.
June 29, 2020, 07:12 PM
Raven
I really find it hard to believe that any major film will open this year before October, unless it switches to some streaming channel. The studios may try to push for the holidays, which is the only reason I even say October. Right now there is even less stability than before because businesses don't know if they will be told a week after they open that they may have to close again.

But for movies, it's not even that. Theaters have to play at full capacity to make big enough box office numbers to cover cost. Even if a movie opens, if the audience is limited to 25% or 50% of seating, it will have to stay for twice as long or 4 times as long to get the same money, while no other movie can play at that location. No film festival exposure or deals. Only digital advertising campaigns. Production schedules that can't start anyway because there is no release room till 2022. Might as well stream any films that are complete or ramp up the straight to video DVDS for everything but the guaranteed 300M ones that will have to wait till 2021.

Want something worse, consider Major League Baseball's attempt to put something on TV. The players don't want to play. The fans can't come at all. The schedule is short and the same teams keep playing each other in the same location. The revised rules have made the game a joke, especially the "man starting on second in every extra inning". Can't blame COVID-19 for that last stupidity. Big Grin

Some things are just not going to work and movie night in the middle of a pandemic is probable one of them. Nobody wants to say it, but normal will not return until something stops the spread for good. People can't ignore it and the powers that be can't impose impractical regulations either.
June 29, 2020, 09:14 PM
Tommy C
I saw a commercial which said that the Disney film "Hamilton", the movie version of the smash broadway musical, is not going to the theaters as originally planned, but instead will be on the new Disney plus tv network