Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Hits and Misses of 2020
 Login/Join
 
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Interesting article in the Hollywood Reporter concerning Mulan and the coronavirus that I had not thought to consider. Disney has put more than $200M into Mulan and its set to open the end March. If the coronavirus epidemic is still shaking up people and the markets, how will it effect the box office of a film about a Chinese myth with an all-Asian cast?

It won't help that's for sure, unless its blown over by then. Truthfully it won't help any films unless it calms down, but Mulan is particularly effected as it is sure to be popular in Asia and needs a significant international take.

For that matter, the public fears are depressing a whole host of businesses and industries, both for sensible reasons and for some very far fetched ones. So it just goes to highlight how unpredictable everything really is, even when everybody thinks they can make predictions.
 
Posts: 7958 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Both Onward and The Way Back are disappointing on opening weekend. I have no doubt that a good part of lighter attendance is due to the Coronavirus outbreak and that it will bring down box office take for every movie opening in this period, for however long it lasts as a public concern. The new James Bond has already been moved to Winter, look for other studios to delay their films also.

The New York Governor just declared a State of Emergency yesterday. Mind you, he doesn't say what to do differently, just that's its an official emergency. I hear some people are hoarding toilet paper and bottled water. Pretty funny that the most important things are input and output. Big Grin

Anyway the constantly depressing news updates are making a small segment of people a little nuts, and whether you are concerned or not, some things can wait, like sitting in a large room to watch a movie with strangers.

So I'm sure that the story this year for Hollywood and anyone else making films is going to be that we lost money because people just weren't coming out of the house. On the other hand the streaming channels and their content will pick up a ton of revenue.
 
Posts: 7958 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My brother takes my niece to a lot of the animated movies. He didn't get the premise of "Onward," or at least it didn't sound like a must-see. It's two kids who have to find the other half of their dad in 24 hours or he won't be able to magically get back together?

The California governor declared a state of emergency here a couple of days ago.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Both Onward and The Way Back are disappointing on opening weekend. I have no doubt that a good part of lighter attendance is due to the Coronavirus outbreak and that it will bring down box office take for every movie opening in this period, for however long it lasts as a public concern. The new James Bond has already been moved to Winter, look for other studios to delay their films also.

The New York Governor just declared a State of Emergency yesterday. Mind you, he doesn't say what to do differently, just that's its an official emergency. I hear some people are hoarding toilet paper and bottled water. Pretty funny that the most important things are input and output. Big Grin

Anyway the constantly depressing news updates are making a small segment of people a little nuts, and whether you are concerned or not, some things can wait, like sitting in a large room to watch a movie with strangers.

So I'm sure that the story this year for Hollywood and anyone else making films is going to be that we lost money because people just weren't coming out of the house. On the other hand the streaming channels and their content will pick up a ton of revenue.
 
Posts: 1468 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's not just cinemas that are being hit by the coronavirus. My friend works for ITV here in the UK and they have been taking a huge hit on advertising revenue. Travel companies make up a large part of their advertsing income, especially at this time of year when people are looking to book Summer holidays, and with the increasing restrictions on travel and people's fear of travelling, the revenue they have been earning from this sector has plummeted in the last couple of months. Their shares have taken a big hit as a result.

The funny part is, with more people staying at home, their audience figures have gone up but they aren't getting any new advertisers to take advantage of it.
 
Posts: 1332 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I recently saw the 2019 animated kids' movie "Wonder Park" with the voices of Jennifer Garner and Matthew Broderick.

Very strange movie. I can see why it did not do well last year at the box office.

Plot concerned a girl dreaming of designing an amusement park with animals, which some chimpanzees wanted to destroy. Who came up with that idea ? Who would want to see a movie like that ? No wonder it flopped.



quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
My brother takes my niece to a lot of the animated movies. He didn't get the premise of "Onward," or at least it didn't sound like a must-see. It's two kids who have to find the other half of their dad in 24 hours or he won't be able to magically get back together?

The California governor declared a state of emergency here a couple of days ago.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Both Onward and The Way Back are disappointing on opening weekend. I have no doubt that a good part of lighter attendance is due to the Coronavirus outbreak and that it will bring down box office take for every movie opening in this period, for however long it lasts as a public concern. The new James Bond has already been moved to Winter, look for other studios to delay their films also.

The New York Governor just declared a State of Emergency yesterday. Mind you, he doesn't say what to do differently, just that's its an official emergency. I hear some people are hoarding toilet paper and bottled water. Pretty funny that the most important things are input and output. Big Grin

Anyway the constantly depressing news updates are making a small segment of people a little nuts, and whether you are concerned or not, some things can wait, like sitting in a large room to watch a movie with strangers.

So I'm sure that the story this year for Hollywood and anyone else making films is going to be that we lost money because people just weren't coming out of the house. On the other hand the streaming channels and their content will pick up a ton of revenue.
 
Posts: 2659 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
A Quiet Place II scheduled for release March 18th internationally and March 20 in USA has been postponed. No new release date announced yet.

Expect most major new films scheduled for the rest of March and April to delay while we remain in the "social distancing" phase of Coronavirus. There is going to be a backlog of delayed films after the summer and it could spill over into 2021.
 
Posts: 7958 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Fast & Furious 9, that was due to hit theaters this May, has been postponed until April 2021.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kennywood,

____________________
Lucy Van Pelt: How can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubblegum cards?
 
Posts: 7250 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Disney has announced that the March 27th premiere of Mulan has been postponed. No new release date has been announced.

Also, Disney has ceased the production of some of its live-action films for the time being as uneasiness over the Coronavirus pandemic worsens. Upcoming live-action films that will be affected include The Little Mermaid, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Home Alone, The Last Duel, Nightmare Alley, as well as Peter Pan & Wendy and Shrunk.

____________________
Lucy Van Pelt: How can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubblegum cards?
 
Posts: 7250 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yikes! I think Disney, as well as the other studios, realize that as they delay release of their completed scheduled films, they don't need to put more of them in the pipeline that will just backlog even more of their product. They aren't going to have their films compete against each other, so the timeline only can extend so far out.

So its a combination of concern over personnel and casts and crews that might be seen as at some risk, but also the simple business decision that when our movies are stacking up at the gate, we don't need to pay for more productions.

The bigger question is going to be how long this lasts for everyone, but for film studios the disruption to their productions will result in them losing at least half a year for each shelved movie release.
 
Posts: 7958 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Sony is delaying Peter Rabbit 2 until August, because of the Coronavirus.

____________________
Lucy Van Pelt: How can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubblegum cards?
 
Posts: 7250 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Warner Bros says production on "The Batman" has been shut down. Talking about only a couple of weeks so far. Might as well just say all film production is suspended for the duration, rather than keep announcing one at a time.
 
Posts: 7958 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
All movie theatres in New York City will close on Tuesday. LA and several other major cities have also announced it already or will follow. No timeframe was given. So its curtains for the film industry until better days.
 
Posts: 7958 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Bloodshot", based upon the Valiant comic book, made a mere 9 M this weekend.
 
Posts: 2659 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
I was so disappointed when I saw the previews for this. One of my favorite comic books. Really wished they would have used the original storyline for the movie.
 
Posts: 742 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
AMC Theaters will now limit attendance to 50 people per showing.

____________________
Lucy Van Pelt: How can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubblegum cards?
 
Posts: 7250 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Based on the failure, maybe there won't be any future Valiant Comics films.

No Ninjak, Rai, Turok, Magnus, Solar, etc.



quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
I was so disappointed when I saw the previews for this. One of my favorite comic books. Really wished they would have used the original storyline for the movie.
 
Posts: 2659 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No idea how good or bad Bloodshot is, but its failure to attract an audience means very little at this time. The overall box office total for this past weekend was a 25 year low. Bunches of movie theatres were closed or closing in certain cities. Even if they were still open, lots of people didn't want to risk going.

Nobody was getting more than 10M and that's not going to cut it for an opening weekend. The studio should have just pulled it and rescheduled, like others have done. To open any movie now is a bonehead move. This thing is global.
 
Posts: 7958 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
AMC, Regal, and UK theater chains close their doors amid coronavirus pandemic

AMC, the largest theatrical exhibition company in the country, will keep its theaters closed for 6-12 weeks "in compliance with local, state and federal directives," according to Business Wire. Just last week, the company announced it would practice "social distancing" by cutting audience attendance by 50 percent in order to prevent a further spread of the virus. However, that was before the federal government recommended that citizens avoid public gatherings comprised of 10 people or more.

Regal Cinemas, which operates 543 locations in the United States, will be shutting down all of its movie theaters starting Tuesday due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

“Any time, at any Regal, it’s our goal to provide a safe and healthy environment for our employees and guests,” said Cineworld CEO Mooky Greidinger. “At this time, we have made the difficult decision to close our theaters. We value our movie-loving customers and have no doubt we will be serving them again as soon as possible with a full slate of Hollywood blockbusters.”

The U.K.’s leading theaters have closed their doors following government advice issued today for people to avoid public venues.

Theater organizations Society of London Theatre (SOLT) and U.K. Theatre said that their member venues will close tonight to help slow the spread of coronavirus.

Their members include most of the top theaters, from the National Theatre to Shakespeare’s Globe, the London Palladium, the Old Vic and the Royal Opera House.

The theaters will remain closed until further notice and will re-open following government recommendations.

____________________
Lucy Van Pelt: How can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubblegum cards?
 
Posts: 7250 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There have really only been 2 hit films so far in 2020, movies which have grossed over 100 M domestically

"Bad Boys for Life" and "Sonic the Hedgehog". The former has made over 200 M, the latter almost 150 M.

Nothing else has done particularly well.
 
Posts: 2659 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
"Black Widow" has been postponed indefinitely.

____________________
Lucy Van Pelt: How can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubblegum cards?
 
Posts: 7250 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 


© Non-Sport Update 2013