Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    New Star Trek TV - Discovery
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Star Trek TV - Discovery
 Login/Join

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Careful, this really isn't the place to discuss hot button stuff and this one seems extra divisive!
Besides, there are less political things to talk about like....what did they do to the Klingons.....DISCUSS Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you mean by that because I saw only about 15 minutes of the first episode. I wasn't going to watch any of it because I don't have CBS Access, but then I heard Michelle Yeoh was the Captain so I thought I'd tune in.

Then I found out, SPOILER ALERT, that Yeoh was not a regular, only a guest. You can assume what you will. Wink

Anyway, the characters did not grab me. It felt like a more serious version of the Orville crew, if you have tried to watch that one. I think I might even like the Orville crew better if it weren't for Seth MacFarlane, who can never be loved as much as he loves himself. Big Grin

Maybe I did not stick around long enough, but I saw the spacesuit flight by the rebel heroine and the Klingon get killed and the whole how can we get her back thing. I knew they would, so I went back to football.

I guess I will never be a Trekkie. Smile

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
They announced that the show has been renewed for a second season today.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
I'm liking the new series Smile

If you're a past Trek fan, it's undeniably Trek. The story line is good, character development is fair, there is a progression involved- each episode builds upon the last, which I think is important. There's an undeniable diversion from past Trek series, but the elements are still very similar. Considering the events of what has happened so far, I foresee some difficult circumstances in the future of the series- far from the 'good guys always win' attitude of past series. This is truer to life (as it were) and displays the vulnerabilities of humanity.

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Clearly I missed the ship for this one. Is it available for catch up online?

The
Borg Micro Cube looks awesome too. Think it's limited to 300 (?) but shame it costs as much ($399 - $1299 without customization).

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
Clearly I missed the ship for this one. Is it available for catch up online?

It's on Netflix.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
In the UK 'E4' will be broadcasting this show, probably early next year.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Star Trek Discovery season 1 is going to be broadcast in the USA, September 24th at 10pm on CBS, according to startrek.com.

I think it's fate will be similar to the UK broadcasts.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
Star Trek Discovery season 1 is going to be broadcast in the USA, September 24th at 10pm on CBS, according to startrek.com.

?

What happened? (I watched it on Netflix)

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:

?

What happened? (I watched it on Netflix)

E4 showed the first few episodes at 9pm, it must have flopped as they decided to show films instead in that time slot. The rest of the episodes were shown, but you had to stick around until ~11:30pm to see them. I guess anyone who was keen to see it had already sought it out, the general audience does not seem interested, at least in the UK.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WOMBLE,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you saw what was on the major broadcast channels in the US, you might think Discovery could only be an improvement. We have nothing but the third re-run of bad shows, fake Love Islands for fake lovers, not-so-talented talent shows, insipid game shows and talk/news programs that will send you running to the nearest liquor bottle or open window. Big Grin This while no one can get out of the house to go anywhere, to do anything.

Because TV production has stopped, the networks have huge gaps in their Fall schedules. So they are looking to their streaming channels to plug in something, anything. It might be a good opportunity for Star Trek Discovery to pick up an audience that didn't take CBS Access. Honestly, it can't hurt. I'm going to watch it.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
I am too cheap to pay for CBS All Access so glad to see them doing this. Clap

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post