Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
New Star Trek TV
 Login/Join
 
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted
 
Posts: 914 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
While a new Trek series is appreciated, there are two negatives about this one... first, it'll likely be set in the new continuity of the current movies and second, it's going to be distributed on CBS's streaming service which many people don't have access to.

____________________
"These aren't the cards you're looking for...."
 
Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Quite right about CBS Access, this is a hook. In the near future there will no longer be any free TV if the networks have their way and can get enough viewers to become subscribers to streaming services. For that reason alone I would not hop on this bandwagon. Too many things are being forced upon us in the name of progress. Oh and it just happens to cost more money naturally. Wink
 
Posts: 6738 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
While a new Trek series is appreciated, there are two negatives about this one... first, it'll likely be set in the new continuity of the current movies and second, it's going to be distributed on CBS's streaming service which many people don't have access to.


It has been announced the new series will be set 10 years before the original 1960's series.

I am sure CBS will release this on DVD quite quickly, if it was shown on broadcast TV it would only get a fraction of the audience even 'Enterprise' could scrape together.
 
Posts: 914 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted Hide Post
The star trek movies and tv series all look like each other after awhile, only thing different is the aliens sometimes, but it's a franchise that is waning! Star trek voyager had a lukewarm rating, never watched enterprise, thought it looked lame from the start! But if the networks and movie makers thinks it will make cash, so be it!
 
Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
I am sure CBS will release this on DVD quite quickly, if it was shown on broadcast TV it would only get a fraction of the audience even 'Enterprise' could scrape together.


Maybe, but not if they are taking a page from Netflix or Amazon. Those companies are making shows like Bosch and the various Defender titles that are being streamed only so far.

Personally I find it infuriating that I can not purchase these titles outright. CBS Access may want to control everything too. Why is it that with so many options available, studios chose to dictate how we must view, even when we are willing to pay for it? What I won't do is subscribe for the privilege of doing what they want to allow me to do. Mad
 
Posts: 6738 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Personally I find it infuriating that I can not purchase these titles outright. CBS Access may want to control everything too. Why is it that with so many options available, studios chose to dictate how we must view, even when we are willing to pay for it?
The same reason that software companies are moving increasingly to a subscription model rather than stand-alone perpetual licenses. The strange alien species known as 'shareholders' want constant, reliable money streams not irregular sales bursts when there is a new release or new version. The subscription model provides this, other methods don't.
 
Posts: 1265 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Personally I find it infuriating that I can not purchase these titles outright. CBS Access may want to control everything too. Why is it that with so many options available, studios chose to dictate how we must view, even when we are willing to pay for it?
The same reason that software companies are moving increasingly to a subscription model rather than stand-alone perpetual licenses. The strange alien species known as 'shareholders' want constant, reliable money streams not irregular sales bursts when there is a new release or new version. The subscription model provides this, other methods don't.


You are correct, but I'm a rebel and I'm going down fighting. Just me and my flip phone. Big Grin
 
Posts: 6738 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Personally I find it infuriating that I can not purchase these titles outright. Mad

I think it's always been the case that the BD/DVD box sets comes out after a series ends it's run. The people who want to, pay a premium to watch it online first.

I take your point that watching this show won't be a 'shared' experience as with an 'aired' broadcast show, but that goes for a lot of modern TV.
 
Posts: 914 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Personally I find it infuriating that I can not purchase these titles outright. Mad

I think it's always been the case that the BD/DVD box sets comes out after a series ends it's run.


Not exactly. The DVDs for cable shows and regular broadcast shows usually come out either right after the season ends or just before the new season begins. They are released in season blocks. The series themselves are usually still running, think along the lines of Game of Thrones. There are final box sets sometimes for ended shows that wind up to be cheaper, but most fans are picking up the seasons as they appear.

The shows that are made for streaming only are being made available as complete runs, for binge viewers. They are not so far being transferred to DVD at all. Bosch has 3 complete seasons of 13 episodes each finished. All the various Defender titles, including Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones etc. have been streamed as seasons. Those are just the ones I would watch, there are other titles that Amazon and Netflix have done, but will only take subscriptions to view.

In the coming years don't be surprised when they stop making DVDs and everything you want to watch is stored on a platform that you only rent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
 
Posts: 6738 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Over the past few years, streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, etc. have been increasing in popularity and the networks and studios have taken notice of that. The message being sent by audiences is that they increasingly want their content made available that way and the television market is starting to reflect that in the way that content is being provided. Traditional cable bundles are being replaced with more flexible choices and streaming services are gaining steam as they are being fueled with more original content. For good or ill, this is the direction the television market is moving in. I've seen a lot of complaining about the new Trek series being on All-Access instead of a normal channel, but is it really any different than what they do with shows like Orange is the New Black or House of Cards? Can we really be angry at CBS for following market trends and being one of the first networks out of the gate to move in that direction?

____________________
"These aren't the cards you're looking for...."
 
Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Not exactly. The DVDs for cable shows and regular broadcast shows usually come out either right after the season ends or just before the new season begins. They are released in season blocks. The series themselves are usually still running, think along the lines of Game of Thrones. There are final box sets sometimes for ended shows that wind up to be cheaper, but most fans are picking up the seasons as they appear.


That's what I meant, over here in the UK we usually refer to a run of episodes as a series rather than season (see Doctor Who).

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
In the coming years don't be surprised when they stop making DVDs and everything you want to watch is stored on a platform that you only rent.


DVD isn't quite dead yet. For instance, over here in the UK the BBC decided 'downloads' were the future, closed their DVD shop down, and ran loads of adverts promoting their new 'download/streaming only' BBC Store, some even mocking people buying ancient DVDs and CDs. And as you could probably guess, the whole thing collapsed and the BBC are now returning customers all their money.
 
Posts: 914 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Not exactly. The DVDs for cable shows and regular broadcast shows usually come out either right after the season ends or just before the new season begins. They are released in season blocks. The series themselves are usually still running, think along the lines of Game of Thrones. There are final box sets sometimes for ended shows that wind up to be cheaper, but most fans are picking up the seasons as they appear.


That's what I meant, over here in the UK we usually refer to a run of episodes as a series rather than season (see Doctor Who).

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
In the coming years don't be surprised when they stop making DVDs and everything you want to watch is stored on a platform that you only rent.


DVD isn't quite dead yet. For instance, over here in the UK the BBC decided 'downloads' were the future, closed their DVD shop down, and ran loads of adverts promoting their new 'download/streaming only' BBC Store, some even mocking people buying ancient DVDs and CDs. And as you could probably guess, the whole thing collapsed and the BBC are now returning customers all their money.


So all hope is not lost, you made my day. Smile
 
Posts: 6738 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
... I've seen a lot of complaining about the new Trek series being on All-Access instead of a normal channel, but is it really any different than what they do with shows like Orange is the New Black or House of Cards? Can we really be angry at CBS for following market trends and being one of the first networks out of the gate to move in that direction?

The fans now are complaining of the 'Mature Audiences Only' rating from the new teaser trailer, I think they have a point, if CBS are taking the show in the '18' category like the other titles you mention I'll give it a miss.
 
Posts: 914 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to MSN, the show will "premiere on CBS on Sept 24 and then subsequent episodes will be on CBS All Access"

What does this mean ? The first episode is shown on free TV, and then episode # 2 onwards is only on All Access ?

I didn't realize that the first show was on "regular" TV
 
Posts: 2096 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They did the exact same thing with The Good Fight, which is Christina Baranski's new show that picks up her character from The Good Wife.

CBS showed the first episode on the free channel and then aired all other episodes only on CBS All Access afterwards. I did not watch it because I knew I was not going to buy Access, but it seems to be doing OK since it was renewed for another season. Of course there viewership expectations are probably on the low side anyway.

I guess they want the same thing for Star Trek Discovery. You are supposed to be so hooked in one episode that you sign up for CBS All Access. Since I know I'm not doing that, I won't watch the pittance they are giving me either. Big Grin
 
Posts: 6738 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
... I've seen a lot of complaining about the new Trek series being on All-Access instead of a normal channel, but is it really any different than what they do with shows like Orange is the New Black or House of Cards? Can we really be angry at CBS for following market trends and being one of the first networks out of the gate to move in that direction?

The fans now are complaining of the 'Mature Audiences Only' rating from the new teaser trailer, I think they have a point, if CBS are taking the show in the '18' category like the other titles you mention I'll give it a miss.


I'm still astonished they got the Tribbles past the 1960's era censors on the original series. Talk about risque!

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 2801 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Didn't see this news until now, but apparently the show is generating more controversy as the cast all "took the knee" on Sunday, like the NFL players did, and posted a photo.

That may not go over well with all fans. I don't know for sure.
 
Posts: 2096 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised the controversy hasn't hit "Game of Thrones" yet. They're always bending the knee on that show.

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
 
Posts: 2801 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And now David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson of X-Files did it, and posted a picture.
 
Posts: 2096 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 


© Non-Sport Update 2013