Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Disney to Buy Most of 21st Century Fox ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disney to Buy Most of 21st Century Fox ?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So the news is that Disney will officially take over the FOX movie studio (not the TV or news channels) as of March 20.

Does this mean that the 2 X-Men movies coming this year and any future Deadpools are now officially part of the Marvel Universe film series ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Disney now owns The Simpsons, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Aliens, Predator, Die Hard, Avatar, Planet of the Apes, Home Alone, Kingsman, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The X-Files, 24, and The Family Guy—just to name a few.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Quote:

Disney now owns The Simpsons, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Aliens, Predator, Die Hard, Avatar, Planet of the Apes, Home Alone, Kingsman, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The X-Files, 24, and The Family Guy—just to name a few.

Repeat after me....it is not a monopoly...it is not a monopoly....it is not a monopoly.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to the article, while you will reportedly still see the famed 20th Century Fox logo at the beginning of films for the next few months, it may not last forever. The studio, which has been around since 1935, has now ceased to exist.

Now only 5 major U.S. film studios remain: Disney, Paramount, Universal, Sony aka Columbia Pictures, and Warner Bros.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now only 5 major U.S. film studios remain: Disney, Paramount, Universal, Sony aka Columbia Pictures, and Warner Bros.

You would think that with these few remaining studios also buying up their own promotion and distribution groups that films would hit a profit margin much sooner and for less money than they use to.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking back on what the Top 10 and Top 20 films of 2018 were, domestically, had the merger occurred Jan 1, 2018, Disney would have had 6 of the Top 10 movies of last year, and 9 of the Top 20. Quite a monopoly !

The other studios didn't even come close. Of the Top 20, Universal had 2, Sony had 3, Paramount had 2, Warner Bros. had 4.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The whole movie system is changing and the studios are consolidating because of the rise of other networks like Netflix and Amazon and a bunch of want-to-bees to come. Youtube is getting involved. Also so much film and TV work is being independently produced that only looks for a distribution channel to get it seen.

A major studio is really only needed now when the cost is too high and the others have to pass.

Look for Disney to divvy up these acquired titles eventually. They won't want them all, so rights will be sold off on some. Some will not be continued. They will probably create certain subs for related titles and genres. Disney has been doing this for years already, they just have more of it now.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Look what happened with Metro-Goldwyn Mayer (MGM). They were one of the major studios from the 1930s to 1950s. By the 1960s, they had few hits, and they actually shut down around 1972, and didn't make movies for a few years.

They reopened in 1976 (barely) and just put out low budget fare for a few years, merged with United Artists in 1982, and spent the 1980s relying upon the "James Bond", "Rocky" and "Pink Panther" films to stay afloat.

Since the 1990s, they've released just a handful of movies a year, none of them huge hits, aside from James Bond.

I don't think there have been more than 15 films total this decade with the MGM lion on it.

Goes to show how major studios can really fall over the course of time ! From # 1 to nothing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Repeat after me....it is not a monopoly...it is not a monopoly....it is not a monopoly.

It may not be a monopoly but it is definitely an 'EMPIRE'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47671266

I am surprised to see they make the biggest single proportion of their money from Disneyland/Disneyworld/Paris.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking at the list of the Top 10 and Top 20 highest grossing domestic films of all time, I noticed the following:

Now that Disney owns 20th Century Fox, it owns 8 of the Top 10 films, all except Titanic and Jurassic World.

It also owns 14 of the Top 20 films. Quite amazing ! Of the 6 that it does not own, Warner Bros. has 2, Universal has 3, and Paramount has 1.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Interesting bit of trivia: Zoe Saldana is in both of the top 2 highest grossing movies of all time:

• Avengers: Endgame

That has to be a good feeling for her.

Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    Of the Top 20 domestic films of all time, 5 are Marvel Comics related, 5 are Star Wars movies, and 3 are Disney or Pixar films. Disney owns these, plus Avatar.

The 6 that Disney does not own are Titanic, Jurassic World, the 2 Dark Knight films, Shrek 2 and E.T. Of those 6, three of them are way down the list, # 18, 19 and 20.

Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    I read that when Disney launches its Disney + on line streaming service soon, the "Simpsons" episodes from 1989-2019 will only be available for viewing there. So no more re-runs of the old ones on local, free TV.

Diamond Card Talk Member
    Picture of Raven
    posted Hide Post
    There are many long running shows that have been in extended syndication for years and years that are just going to disappear from free TV. Seinfeld is being taken by Netflix. The Big Bang Theory was bought by HBO. Disney + is consuming anything Disney, Marvel, Star Wars or Pixar. This is the road map now and that's just a few, eventually only CW shows will be on free TV because nobody wants them. Big Grin

Seriously, it's sad and people should get together and try to stop it. It's not even that you have to pay for what you see, it's that you can only pay so many networks and buy so many packages and so many bundles.

At the same time they are also choking off the DVDs, not simply with Blu-Ray discs, but by trying to float digital only products. The public, many of them under 30, don't understand that they are paying just to rent and the corporations will own all the rights and can dictate the terms of your use.

This is not limited to media either. Facebook wants to have it's own currency and stockpilers of Bitcoin wanted to go on the Market until someone decided that they are not governments. Yet. In 25 years we won't recognize this place. Good thing we still own our cards. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    And with regard to The Simpsons, they only released the first 20 seasons on DVD (through the 2008-2009 season) and there are no plans to release the most recent 10 years.

So it's not like you can pop in the DVDs and watch the 2009-19 ones...

Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    One of my friends is a huge Simpsons fan but he would say the last ten years aren't worth watching anyway.

quote:
    And with regard to The Simpsons, they only released the first 20 seasons on DVD (through the 2008-2009 season) and there are no plans to release the most recent 10 years.

So it's not like you can pop in the DVDs and watch the 2009-19 ones...

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    After going through the guide's 500 or whatever channels and not finding anything that I want to watch (remembering the Springsteen song when he had 57 of them) and "Seinfeld" is on, I watch that. I didn't watch "Big Bang Theory" with any regularity but I liked Bob Newhart's appearance. I heard the show had a lot of sci-fi people and scientists guesting on it.

One thing I have noticed is that there are a few networks specializing in shows from the 60's and 70's. They even run shows that ran only one or two seasons like "Dan August" or "Banacek." As some of the more recent shows disappear as exclusives to particular networks, I think we'll see some more obscure 70's-90's shows fill the void. My youngest niece is getting a kick out of "Brady Bunch" these days.

In another thread someone didn't know about that "UFO" show by Gerry Anderson. I didn't know about it either until just a few years ago. I watched a lot of TV when I was a kid. I had heard of "The Thunderbirds" and I watched "Captain Scarlett" (inserted in a local kid's afternoon show) but never saw "UFO." I read that there was a plan to bring it back but the next season was reconsidered and ended up being the first season of "Space 1999."

quote:
    Originally posted by Raven:
    There are many long running shows that have been in extended syndication for years and years that are just going to disappear from free TV. Seinfeld is being taken by Netflix. The Big Bang Theory was bought by HBO. Disney + is consuming anything Disney, Marvel, Star Wars or Pixar. This is the road map now and that's just a few, eventually only CW shows will be on free TV because nobody wants them. Big Grin

Seriously, it's sad and people should get together and try to stop it. It's not even that you have to pay for what you see, it's that you can only pay so many networks and buy so many packages and so many bundles.

At the same time they are also choking off the DVDs, not simply with Blu-Ray discs, but by trying to float digital only products. The public, many of them under 30, don't understand that they are paying just to rent and the corporations will own all the rights and can dictate the terms of your use.

This is not limited to media either. Facebook wants to have it's own currency and stockpilers of Bitcoin wanted to go on the Market until someone decided that they are not governments. Yet. In 25 years we won't recognize this place. Good thing we still own our cards. Wink

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by catskilleagle:
    In another thread someone didn't know about that "UFO" show by Gerry Anderson. I didn't know about it either until just a few years ago. I watched a lot of TV when I was a kid. I had heard of "The Thunderbirds" and I watched "Captain Scarlett" (inserted in a local kid's afternoon show) but never saw "UFO." I read that there was a plan to bring it back but the next season was reconsidered and ended up being the first season of "Space 1999."
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole bunch of old Gerry Anderson series turning up on BritBox here in the UK as ITV probably has the rights to show most if not all of them. The earliest one I was around to see was 'Four Feather Falls', though I do have a 'Torchy the Battery Boy' annual which preceded it. Then came 'Fireball XL5', 'Supercar' and 'Stingray' before things really took off with 'Thunderbirds' and 'Captain Scarlet'. The less asid about 'Joe 90' and 'The Secret Service' that then followed...the better Big Grin Then we had UFO which was excellent and 'Space 1999', which I never liked. It's enjoying a rerun on the Horror Channel, which I find quite approriate, right now. Things sort of fizzled out after that. 'Space Precinct' and 'Terrahawks' weren't in the same league. The CG 'revival of Captain Scarlet' a few years back was pretty good...but I am a little biased about that one Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    I've never heard of a few of those shows. "UFO" might be on one of the cable channels now but I haven't seen it yet. We liked "Captain Scarlett." It had its own lingo and its own Cold War backdrop with female fighter pilots flying high cover. It was something totally different at the time from most kids' shows here.

Yeah, the first season of "Space 1999" was pretty dull except for a couple of episodes. The second season was better. Maya was great character to add. I still remember the weird monster she shape-shifted into when they needed someone who could breathe chlorine gas. I'll admit it. I was falling in love with Catherine Schell too.

quote:
    Originally posted by Kevin F:
    quote:
    Originally posted by catskilleagle:
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole bunch of old Gerry Anderson series turning up on BritBox here in the UK as ITV probably has the rights to show most if not all of them. The earliest one I was around to see was 'Four Feather Falls', though I do have a 'Torchy the Battery Boy' annual which preceded it. Then came 'Fireball XL5', 'Supercar' and 'Stingray' before things really took off with 'Thunderbirds' and 'Captain Scarlet'. The less asid about 'Joe 90' and 'The Secret Service' that then followed...the better Big Grin Then we had UFO which was excellent and 'Space 1999', which I never liked. It's enjoying a rerun on the Horror Channel, which I find quite approriate, right now. Things sort of fizzled out after that. 'Space Precinct' and 'Terrahawks' weren't in the same league. The CG 'revival of Captain Scarlet' a few years back was pretty good...but I am a little biased about that one Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    I heard on the news that the Disney + service launched today.

So you can watch all of the Disney, Star Wars, Pixar, etc. films from 1937 to present, for $ 6.99 a month, or whatever it is.

Disney probably won't show "Song of the South" (1947), however, the sole Disney feature film never released on DVD in the U.S., due to its dated elements, which make many uncomfortable.