Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMAX 2D?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted
I've only ever seen Imax movies in 3D. Is there anything to be gained seeing a 2D movie in this format?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
The same reason one would see anything in Imax... the size of the picture.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
My understanding of it is that the size of the picture is the same if it is in an IMAX theatre. 2D is a standard film shown in IMAX. 3D is a film made, at least for certain scenes, in a 3D format presented in IMAX.

There is also supposed to be a slight difference in brightness and clarity. I find little to none myself, but maybe you can see it if you compare the frames side to side. I don't care about Blu-Ray DVDs either, put HD TV is noticeable.

With 3D, I don't like to wear the glasses, so I'm out of it. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Raven, I've seen 2d movies in Imax and they are presented on a larger screen. That's the whole point of the Imax experience, to see things on a larger than normal screen. Yes, some films do scenes specifically to take advantage of the larger format but that doesn't change the fact that it's all about screen size. To use a rough analogy, it's like the difference between watching something on a 40 inch tv versus watching something on a 60 inch tv.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
So there we are Raven, Size DOES matter Wink

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
So there we are Raven, Size DOES matter Wink

Darn right it does! Big Grin

But I guess I was not clear in my response.

Both 2D and 3D films can be shown in an IMAX theatre. They are both on the same screen and both the same size. 2D is a standard film. 3D has been produced with effects and needs the glasses.

IMAX is the size aspect and it is equal for all. So the question of what is to be gained by seeing a 2D movie in this format, well I took that to mean, what is to gained over seeing a 3D movie in that format. My answer would be nothing is to be gained, its a normal film, 3D is the one with the effects.

If Graham meant what is to be gained from seeing the same 2D movie anywhere else, then it is the size of the screen. But since he already said he had been in IMAX, I took that as a given and he was asking about the 3D comparison.

I wouldn't go anywhere for 3D, but that's just me. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
I believe IMAX is kind of generic term for the size of the film used. IMAX films can be shown in any theater, but are usually shown in larger theaters (for both 3D and 2D)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post