Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Indiana Jones 5 Coming, Ford to Star
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indiana Jones 5 Coming, Ford to Star
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
And that is why Big Bang used to be the smartest series on TV, not so much lately, but it was very good before the scripts got a bit a stale. I still watch though.

Yeah...I still enjoy it but it is getting a bit stale. At least it hasn't died and then forced out four more seasons like two and a half men did. I cant watch anything after season 8. Too painful.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:
So I just saw the rerun of one of the best Big Bang episodes last night and I again LMAO.

This is how Amy ruined Sheldon's favorite movie Raiders of the Lost Arc and maybe the whole franchise for him. So if you are going to miss that don't read farther. Big Grin

She watched it for the first time and said she liked it, despite the major plot hole. Sheldon said there was no such thing, it was a perfect movie and dared her to prove otherwise.

Amy told him that Indiana Jones was irrelevant to the story. With or without his character, the Nazis find the Arc, open it and die.

It's been awhile since I've since Raiders, but I disagree that the Nazis would have found the Ark without Indiana Jones. Didn't he determine that they were digging in the wrong place, based upon the inscription on the amulet ? So he found it, not them !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Ahh, but Howard brought up that exact same point, and than Leonard remarked that the Nazis were only digging in the wrong place because Indy tricked them. Without him in the story, they would have dug in the right place, found the Ark, opened it up and died. Exactly the same as what happened, with or without Indiana Jones.

In fact they concluded that Indy didn't get the Ark to the museum in the end, so he couldn't even do that right.

Sorry, but Amy was correct. No matter how you look at it, the actions of the main character played no part in the actual plot set up or outcome. Weird, right! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Actually, they weren't even digging in the wrong spot "because Indy tricked them". They were in the wrong spot because they only had the inscription from one side of the amulet when there were directions on both. If Indy hadn't been in the movie, the Nazis would have gotten the amulet from Marion when they invaded her bar early on and would have had everything they needed.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's true, you remember Raiders better than I do. It actually makes more sense that way to say the outcome would have been the same with or without him.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Yeah, all he really did was slow them down.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now they're saying it's not coming until July 2021

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They already tried to set up the handing over of the torch in Crystal Skull and it was a poor film. Indiana Jones is too long in the tooth to be an action hero and the character is just too iconic for movie audiences to accept anyone else as a substitute. At least that's how I look at it and I think I would be in the majority opinion on this one.

There are some actors who just own certain parts and they can not be replaced, even as they themselves may age out of the part. Ford was lucky. He has three characters, Indiana, Solo and Deckard. Bruce Willis has John McClane. Sigourney Weaver has Ellen Ripley. Humphery Bogart has Rick Blaine and Sam Spade. Arnold Schwarzenegger has T800. There are a few more examples of actors who have really become the only face for the part.

Sad to say, but Ford has aged out of this role. It is purely a cash grab that the studio and the principles just can't let Indy be. Frown

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In July 2021, he will be 79 years old

I completely agree with you. Look at the recent SOLO film. Did people really want to see anyone other than Ford play him ? Maybe the whole thing was just a bad idea

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Didn't the Nazis have to follow Indy to Nepal and then to the bar to find Marion? Otherwise, they would've found her before he got there.

quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
Actually, they weren't even digging in the wrong spot "because Indy tricked them". They were in the wrong spot because they only had the inscription from one side of the amulet when there were directions on both. If Indy hadn't been in the movie, the Nazis would have gotten the amulet from Marion when they invaded her bar early on and would have had everything they needed.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Didn't the Nazis have to follow Indy to Nepal and then to the bar to find Marion? Otherwise, they would've found her before he got there.
quote:

Didn't re-watch it, but I don't think so. Everyone seems to have known her father had the amulet. They were just looking for her at the same time and came a bit after Indy. He didn't lead them there.

I go back to that very funny episode of The Big Bang Theory, where the guys realize that the character of Indiana Jones had no impact on the Raiders story line. It would have resolved with the opening of the Arc and the death of the Nazis with or without him. Maybe some details would change, like Marion may have died too, but the Nazis would have failed by opening it up regardless. The BBT guys were devastated. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Raven,

There was an Indiana Jones movie marathon this past weekend. I watched Raiders and the Last Crusade but not The Temple of Doom (that movie wasn't near as good as the other two). The Big Bang Theory writers did get it wrong. There's a scene right after when Marcus and Indy talk about Indy getting the job to go after the Ark. Indy gets on a seaplane bound for Nepal but with stops in between. Someone hiding behind a magazine is following him. The Nazis didn't know where Professor Ravenwood was but Indy had an idea where Marion was. He finds out Ravenwood is dead from her. The Nazis show up at her bar only after Indy leads them to her. They would not have known where to look for her and therefore would have never acquired the headpiece necessary to find the Ark.

Jess

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
quote:

Didn't re-watch it, but I don't think so. Everyone seems to have known her father had the amulet. They were just looking for her at the same time and came a bit after Indy. He didn't lead them there.

I go back to that very funny episode of The Big Bang Theory, where the guys realize that the character of Indiana Jones had no impact on the Raiders story line. It would have resolved with the opening of the Arc and the death of the Nazis with or without him. Maybe some details would change, like Marion may have died too, but the Nazis would have failed by opening it up regardless. The BBT guys were devastated. Big Grin

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hey Jess, haven't seen it in awhile but I do have a DVD some place. That being the case, Indy had a negative impact, but his character would have that purpose so the BBT writers would be wrong. Best not to look into action movies too closely anyway, there are always holes. If you enjoy the movie, you overlook them. If you didn't, you pick them apart. Big Grin That BBT episode is still one of my favorites. That and the Xmas episode with Penny's gift of Leonard Nimoy's autograph on a napkin. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

There's a writer/producer named Rob Long who once said something like, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is the perfect movie. Who doesn't like "Raiders?"

Indy didn't have any negative impact. He saved Marion and her liver from that dive bar although I might have to admit under oath that the monkey would have lived longer.

Jess

quote:
Hey Jess, haven't seen it in awhile but I do have a DVD some place. That being the case, Indy had a negative impact, but his character would have that purpose so the BBT writers would be wrong. Best not to look into action movies too closely anyway, there are always holes. If you enjoy the movie, you overlook them. If you didn't, you pick them apart. Big Grin That BBT episode is still one of my favorites. That and the Xmas episode with Penny's gift of Leonard Nimoy's autograph on a napkin. Smile

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well what I meant by negative impact was based on your assertion that the Nazis followed him to find Marion. The BBT writers said Indy could have been erased from the story and it would have played out exactly the same. You see him as leading them to her, which would set the finding of the Ark in motion, but that could certainly be called a negative action.

Must be a really slow day to have this as the topic for debate. Big Grin