Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    1966 Batman coming to DVD in 2014 finally!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1966 Batman coming to DVD in 2014 finally!!!
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted
Not too many details, just a quick "announcement" that it WILL be out this year as a complete boxed set:

http://www.newsarama.com/20057...ing-dvd-in-2014.html

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Someone somewhere is scurrying to nail down the trading cards licence. Elephant

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
Months ago, NSU had Cryptozoic listed to release this set. I think Cryptozoic put it on the backburner but hopefully it will still be released!

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
This is incredibly welcome news. A DVD release could indeed foster the release of a card set, so I will now ruminate on it.

The dual autograph of the Dynamic Duo Adam West and Burt Ward would be a cherished card, so I hope to see something like that.

DC (Time Warner company) has wanted the Batman to be seen as super serious for a good while, so for the last couple of decades, they treated this campy show like it didn't exist where collectibles were concerned. But as soon as the last movie in the recent Batman trilogy was approaching, we started seeing merchandising for the '66 show, so it could just be a matter of time before a card set finally happens as a part of that.

Some of the first modern merchandise for '66 Batman after the long mothballing of such were Hot Wheels die-cast metal replicas of the '66 Batmobile in various sizes starting about 5 years ago or so. When the Hub Network got the reruns on TV about a year and a half ago, that was also a very good sign. The series was featured on one version of the giant bags given to Comic-Con attendees last year and a comic series is being published now. There were replica cards from the original '66 sets in the new Topps 75th anniversary set, so hopefully they'll make a new Archives or Heritage set to re-present the originals. (There was a box set reprint of the 4 illustrated sets from the early 1990's that sold for $29.95, but costs more than that now).

Where the much anticipated autographs for the new card set are concerned, unfortunately, many of the guest-star villains were already a bit older even back in '66, so they have Batusi'd off to the great Gotham in the sky. I'd love to see cut autograph cards for Cesar Romero, Burgess Meredith, Liberace, and Vincent Price to name a few, and Neal Hefti, the late composer of the famous theme (a huge contributor to the success of the show, I have no doubt). We've seen their lovely signatures on other cards, but its great news that we might finally get Yvonne Craig and Julie Newmar autographs on Catwoman cards.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think one of the reasons why the 1966 Batman show has such a cult following is because it never was officially released due to the bickering license holders. Now all 120 episodes will be available in one place, at one price, and it will just be another 50 year old TV series.

It will be good for those who never saw much of it, but legitimacy can make some things less special. Wink

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
120 episodes, I wonder how far into those the novelty will wear off?

Sometimes memories are better.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone somewhere is scurrying to nail down the trading cards licence.

Wish I could have the money to purchase the license and create my own cards Smile

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
120 episodes, I wonder how far into those the novelty will wear off?

Sometimes memories are better.

True, although I always watch the episodes with Joker and Catwoman when they're on Smile (the tv show runs every Sat. night here.)

One cool thing about having the entire collection is to be able to see all of the guest stars that were on the show. That's one of the reasons that I enjoy watching old Twilight Zone episodes - to see all of the guest players when they were (for the most part) just getting started in their careers.

I really do hope that a 66 Batman card set happens. Imagine a cut auto card of Ceasar Romero as the Joker or a Julie Newmar as Catwoman auto card! Thumb Up

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Very nice Mr Fu. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really do hope that a 66 Batman card set happens. Imagine a cut auto card of Ceasar Romero as the Joker or a Julie Newmar as Catwoman auto card! Thumb Up

Yeah it's on my wish list too!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Superb as usual. Clap

That Otto Preminger auto is really rare, he signed it just as he died.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
http://www.newsarama.com/21486...d-november-2014.html

It's official! All 120 episodes are coming out on Blu-Ray and DVD in November. Now if we can just get an awesome card set to go along with it!!!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Now if The Green Hornet will be out.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mister E.:
Now if The Green Hornet will be out.

I hadn't thought about that! If this is the COMPLETE Batman set, it will have the 2-part crossover with the Green Hornet in it. If they have the rights to put that on disc, then you'd think the overall Green Hornet series should be available as well... That would be awesome!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to this DVD set, as I watched this show as a kid.

I picked up a bootleg of the Green Hornet series at a convention a few years ago, and it was surprisingly good. I expected poor quality and bad stories, but I was wrong on both counts. An official set would be nice, but I may have to think about spending the money since I have a set already.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Okay, saw a post on Facebook earlier that stated this set was gonna go for $200 for DVD and $270 for Blu-ray. I'm hoping this is some type of limited edition, and I will just stick with the lower end set, thank you. Eek

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
The high price point being reported is for the Limited Edition Blu-ray set. It has stuff like a Batmobile replica and trading cards in it. There will also be individual season sets coming out starting in Nov. as well.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
The UK DVD version of the box set is only available in-store at HMV (£59.99).

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:

No Blu-Ray, no Batmobile and no Ultraviolet download. Short-changed doesn't start to describe it Mad

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:

No Blu-Ray, no Batmobile and no Ultraviolet download. Short-changed doesn't start to describe it Mad
The Blu-ray with Batmobile and Ultraviolet download version for the UK is an Amazon.co.uk exclusive. Available from November 10th for £109.99p.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post