Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Edit: Only a rumor - Bryan Cranston is Lex Luthor!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edit: Only a rumor - Bryan Cranston is Lex Luthor!
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted
This would be awesome news, balancing out the negative outcry of Ben Affleck as Batman...

It also states he may "appear as Luthor in at least six films from Marvel Studios". I don't remember Lex being a Marvel character. Roll Eyes

http://gma.yahoo.com/5-best-su...s-entertainment.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SHouseman,

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I like it. Thumb Up

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
"Say my name."

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
This is an outrage! Let us now get together and boycott the very notion of this Bryan Cranston until the WB execs change their minds. I mean, c'mon the dad from "Malcolm in the Middle", is what, going to ham it up through Superman like he did on that silly show?! Is he going to power walk or wash his car in a hilarious manner? He's a funny guy, Cranston, goofy and frenetic, but basically a cartoon character. How dare they do this to us!!!!

Hold on a minute, I'm just now being told about a show called "Breaking Bad" and that I should get familiar with it before finishing this post. OK, I'm going powerwatch the 50 or so episodes so far and be back to finish my rant...

(some time later)

Bryan Cranston is the man for this. He's got the acting chops, and the trick for a character as powerful as Superman is to be challenged by a villain that is actually a danger to him. Completely lacking super powers and using only his blazing intelligence and sheer ruthlessness, Lex has been the main thorn in Superman's side in the comics for some time now, and especially since 1986 or so when Luthor was updated by John Byrne into an seemingly upstanding member of the community (billionaire industrialist) who was in reality a megalomanical crime syndicate overlord, so not unlike Walt White.

Some definite peril for Superman can be drummed up by a correctly written and performed Lex Luthor. Superman needs real "danger" to rise above and show he is the world's greatest hero, and who better to bring the danger Lex should than good ol' Heisenberg AKA Bryan Cranston.

Good hire, and Cranston's worked with Affleck on "Argo", so there's already some history should Lex also interact with Batman. This is good news if so. Now, bring in Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Robin or Nightwing, and you've got something.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Byrne wasn't the man mostly responsible for the Luthor updating, it was mainly Marv Wolfman who rehabbed the character, fyi. Wink

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought the first "modern" Luthor was in the John Byrne reboot 6 issue bi-weekly mini-series "Man of Steel", the one that restarted the Superman continuity after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Did Wolfman do something with him before that, or did he greatly add to what Byrne did on his 2+ year run afterward so that he's considered the "creator" or the new Luthor. (I didn't read much Superman after Byrne left. It just got worse and worse culminating in the just awful "death of Superman" and even worse "return of Superman" stories).

Wolfman is a fine writer. He did some great work for Marvel in in the 70's and on DC's Teen Titans (and of course, Crisis) in the 1980's.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like the casting if true, but I really don't know how they are going to make this new movie work. The first movie was such a disaster that I'm not sure how they can fix it. To me this would have to be another total reboot.

It's amazing to me that DC has failed so completely in their movies as of late where Marvel has just flat out been masterful.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
It's not a disaster just because you didn't like it, Chuck.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
True, but it can be fairly called a "chuck-saster".

I thought it was pretty good. I'm curious as to which one people consider to be the best comic book inspired movie. From Marvel, I think I've most liked Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, Iron Man 1, Avengers, and Blade. From DC, my favorites are Superman The Movie, Batman 2, and Dark Knight 3.

That's just superheroes, though, as there's been some pretty good non super-hero adaptations like Ghost World and Sin City.
It's a real wealth of material that can be adapted now that the technology has caught up to the stories.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
Just a rumor. Not factual.

http://social.entertainment.ms...lex-luthor?gt1=28101

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I thought the first "modern" Luthor was in the John Byrne reboot 6 issue bi-weekly mini-series "Man of Steel", the one that restarted the Superman continuity after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Did Wolfman do something with him before that, or did he greatly add to what Byrne did on his 2+ year run afterward so that he's considered the "creator" or the new Luthor. (I didn't read much Superman after Byrne left. It just got worse and worse culminating in the just awful "death of Superman" and even worse "return of Superman" stories).

Wolfman is a fine writer. He did some great work for Marvel in in the 70's and on DC's Teen Titans (and of course, Crisis) in the 1980's.

Wolfman was writing Adventures of Superman at the same time that Byrne was doing his relaunched Superman and Action Comics and both men have spoken about how they collaborated on story and character development with Wolfman specifically being credited by both men as the driving force behind the new depiction of Lex as the evil businessman type. The new version first appears in the Man of Steel miniseries by Byrne but it was Wolfman who put Luthor on that track. Credit where credit is due and all that.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
It's not a disaster just because you didn't like it, Chuck.

While true it's hard for me to comprehend anyone believing it was anything but a disastor. They literally copied a bunch of popular stuff, and threw it together. Hell I half expected the piano piece from The Incrdible Hulk TV show to come on during the scenes after the Krypton stuff.

Not only that, the plot was straight from Smallville, and Smallville did it about 100 times better. Plus Henry Cavill was bad. Amy Adams was bad (and I love her). The development of their relationship was bad.

No Kryptonite. No Lex (only a quick snippet of a Luthor truck).

And what made Christopher Reeve so great at Superman was that he looked like a regular guy. Henry Cavill looked like the Incredible Hulk.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought it was pretty good, but since I'm pretty harsh on the lousy and lazy writing that virtually ruins every single James Bond film at the end, here's a couple of things that should've never made it into "Man of Steel"

Why would Zod bring Lois Lane on to the Kryptonian ship along with Superman? She's only there to aid in his escape. The villains should've at least mentioned why they wanted her. This was a terrible miscue in the film.

Then, towards the end, Zod is having a hard time adjusting to the onset of his enhanced capabilities like Superman did when he was a boy. Zod is nearly incapacitated which is exactly what Superman needs to stop Zod's plan. So what does Superman do? He tells Zod what the problem is and then tells him the solution on how to deal with it, like his mother had told him to when he was a boy. That was just a jaw-droppingly stupid plot device and a clear sign the writers were probably up against some pretty extreme deadlines, to take such an easy way out of that.

That's kind of the thing that happens though when a studio drops a couple of hundred million dollars into a movie. Such a movie really can't be the vision of one or even just small handful of filmmakers. They are instead done by committee, and stuff like the examples I cited getting through are sadly all too common.

I thought Amy Adams was an excellent Lois Lane and I can see why they left Kryptonite alone. It was a big part of the basically stupid plot that marred "Superman Returns" a few years back. So this time, you could say the in "Man of Steel" the notion of kryptonite plot-wise WAS kryptonite.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

Wolfman was writing Adventures of Superman at the same time that Byrne was doing his relaunched Superman and Action Comics and both men have spoken about how they collaborated on story and character development with Wolfman specifically being credited by both men as the driving force behind the new depiction of Lex as the evil businessman type. The new version first appears in the Man of Steel miniseries by Byrne but it was Wolfman who put Luthor on that track. Credit where credit is due and all that.

Makes perfect sense and now I know. Thank you for that.