Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wonder Woman 2017
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
Having seen all the Wonder Woman trailers out so far, is it just me or does anyone else feel like they saw the whole movie and not for the first time?

Not saying the clips looked bad, just that it all had that paint-by-the-numbers ring to it, what with the World War I scenes, the comic relief, the romantic interest, the save-the-world determination.

I don't know, the Justice League trailer looked like the original Magnificent Seven. It's hard to be original in either the DC or Marvel movies these days. They have over done it.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Maybe because of the WWII backdrop, but I was reminded of the first Captain America movie when seeing the trailers.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Maybe because of the WWII backdrop, but I was reminded of the first Captain America movie when seeing the trailers.

That is not World War II, it's set during World War I. The trenches give it away and the clothes.

Wonder Woman looks good for her age. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:

That is not World War II, it's set during World War I. The trenches give it away and the clothes.

Wonder Woman looks good for her age. Big Grin

I was thinking about it after posting that and remembered the old photo that Bruce Wayne found of her in the Batman v Superman. Then I went back to watch the trailer with my 7-year daughter and she even said that it was WWI Eek Haha.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Loved the recent trailer. I used to listen to that Imagine Dragons song on repeat, so hearing it used is kind of fun (even if they've largely just used two lines and repeat them over and over)

This one's got me far more interested than any other promotion for Wonder Woman had so far. It looks like a nice blend of the first Captain America and Thor in terms of story and spectacle and I like what I've seen of Chris Pine and Lucy Davis. Hopefully the plot holds up in the final piece but definitely excited for this one despite the let down of Suicide Squad.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Wonder Woman is opening here June 2nd and it should be interesting to see if it lands with a bang or a bust. I'm not talking about how much money it makes exactly or even if its a good film. More like, does anyone seem to care.

We had a couple of big summer films released in May and even the ones that made money seem to have fallen into a ho-hum void. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is a hit, but no one is talking about it. The last Fast and Furious did great, without breaking formula. King Arthur is a bomb and will lose money. Alien Covenant just opened to mixed reviews, but the most publicity it's gotten is on the fan sites where people are trying to explain the film and convince each other that anything you can't understand must actually be profound. I love it, so much better than to admit that Ridley Scott is a has-been hack that couldn't leave his classic alone.

Anyway, my point is that so far 2017 movies have been really quite and I'm not sure if its a trend or not. People are still going to theatres, but it seems like the international market is carrying more money than the domestic market and I'm thinking that streaming and the large number of concurrent franchise related films may be starting to take a toll on general interest.

I think Wonder Woman will give an early indication of how well action movies, and specifically tied-in movies, will be received this summer.

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
I think the reaction to Wonder Woman will be less of an indicator of the movie market in general than it will be a make it or break it moment for the DC movie universe. The reaction to their films thus far, with Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad has been mediocre at best. If they keep failing to connect with the audience, then their film franchise(s) will have to go back to the drawing board. Sure, they still have Justice League coming down the pipeline but since Wonder Woman is serving as the lead in, if it fails, that doesn't bode well for JL.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Early reactions seem to be good, so here's hoping.

I think the most encouraging thing about the film for me is that both Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor appear very optimistic characters, suggesting a positive and inspiring film altogether, as opposed to the doom and gloom from the majority of other characters in the fairly morose franchise so far.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The kick is up and good!
We finally saw it yesterday and were very pleased. Here's hoping it's a new era for DC movies. Diana should be the "Tony Stark" of the DC film universe, and used in all of their movies from now on.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Eh I hope they don't shoehorn another superhero into the other films like Marvel have done with Stark. I loved Civil War, but there was too much Tony. Next up he's in Spider-Man Homecoming. A smaller cameo is okay, but he shouldn't be a lead character, so I hope DC doesn't do this with one of their characters. Particularly Batman. Man, am I over Batman!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Gal Godot has just announced that she refuses to do another Wonder Woman movie if Brett Ratner is involved in the production. Ratner is of course also involved in the X-Men franchise and even has a certified autograph card in the series, but his name has come up early in the ongoing Hollywood sexual harassment scandal.

Look for Warner Brothers to get rid of him quick. They can't afford to lose their star or have the Wonder Woman title linked to this kind of publicity.

Meanwhile the dominoes keep falling, with both Kevin Spacey and Louis C K now pretty much being cancelled or erased out of every completed project they had waiting for release or any in the works. And George Takei, Richard Dreyfuss and Steven Siegel just got hit with claims.

Not passing judgement on anyone, a lot is unproven except for Louis C K, who seems to have confessed to everything. However the studios and other actors like Godot are already taking actions that will effectively end careers. As card collectors, we may wind up with a small rogue's gallery of tainted autographs in the end.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regarding Steven Seagal, I think people have been complaining about those type of allegations for more than 25 years.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Why, oh why did I invest so heavily in Harvey Weinstein Meeting Used Robe memorabilia cards?

But, seriously, sad business all around. Without all of the facts, which it seems impossible to ever have, it's hard to say exactly whose career should be ruined over their actions, or short of that, for how long they should be "punished" by the public. Hopefully, though, all people (not just famous and/or powerful people) are learning once and for all that there's a certain decorum to your behavior, and particularly where sexual matters are concerned, that should be present with all people at all times.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They have announced that the second Wonder Woman film is being pushed back from Nov 2019, to summer 2020.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post