Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Star Trek 4 ?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Looks like Paramount is admitting that the films are not making big money

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movi...7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Its always the way that studios say that their movies make lots of money, until someone else wants a piece of that money. Than all of a sudden the profits aren't there. Big Grin

I think its two things, first MONEY. Pine and Hemsworth have had successful films and want to be compensated as stars. I really don't think its them, so much as their titles that are stars, but there it is. They also will want equal compensation to each other. Then there is also a fairly large group of actors/ST crew that will want money. Then there is the big name villain who will want money. Then you have to sink a ton of money into the production itself. It all comes out to too large a budget.

Second, Star Trek is back on TV. It is and was always a TV show. Fans can see something that says Star Trek, so they aren't frantic to see a Star Trek 4 and if they don't care much, who is going to go? I don't care either way. Make it, don't make, come back in 10 years with a new crew. This group already had their trilogy didn't they? Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet that if you gave Nicholas Meyer ("Still alive, my old friend") half the money the last one cost, he would still make a good Star Trek movie.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now they're saying that Pine and Hemsworth dropped out of it

Interesting that in the original article, Paramount pretty much said that they can't compete with Star Wars and the Marvel Comics films, that those movies are way more successful than Star Trek, which is true

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On a side note-- I see that Paramount doesn't appear to have any involvement with any future Indiana Jones films. Disney now owns them

So all the studio really has left is the Mission Impossible franchise and Star Trek

Of the Top 20 films released so far in 2018, in terms of the amount of money made, domestically, Paramount only has TWO hits-- Mission Impossible 6 and A Quiet Place. In other words, only 2 of the Top 20 are by them

Looks like another bad year for the studio !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
They can probably squeeze a little more out of the Shrek and Kung Fu Panda lines...

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Also, Paramount has the Transformers films

The next one, Bumblebee, is coming in December. What is this, like the sixth one ? I see that the budget is only about 100 M, about half of the last film, from 2017.

I read somewhere that Paramount hasn't had a profitable year since 2011 or so.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post