Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2013 Movies
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
Looking back at all the threads in this section I find very little talk on movies released this year, and what there is mostly prior to opening.

Why is that? Were there more bad films than good films this year? Did people go to see fewer movies? I know I saw a lot of DVDs, but went to only a handful of movies myself and I don't think I could truly 100% recommend anything I saw. I liked a couple, but didn't really love anything.

So now the last of the 2013 movies have opened or are about to open. Does anyone have some recommendations about what to see or avoid from this year's crop? Any comments on the sequels, prequels and new franchise attempts? Here is your thread to tell us what you think about the films that opened this past year. Smile

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I used to go to the cinema loads but have not been for years.
It has become too easy to just sit at home and have the movies come to you.

For this reason I have only just seen Skyfall and The Hobbit which I think were 2012 so that means I have not seen one film released this year.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of people feel the same way wolfie. I know that I am much less motivated to go to the movies now then I used to be. The higher ticket prices is part of it of course, but also it's because I feel like I've seen so many of these films before. I'm just not interested in watching something that has already been done better when it was an original idea. Wink

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I've tried to get to the cinema more often of late and have seen quite a few films I have enjoyed this year:

- Despite the mixed reviews I REALLY enjoyed Man of Steel, the casting and the music in particular;

- It was fun to see Tom Cruise (an actor whose performances I always enjoy in a sci-fi film, so Oblivion ticked my boxes;

- The Great Gatsby was a different and fun film;

- Seeing Jurassic Park in 3D IMAAX was a phenomenal experience. One of those films I've seen countless times but it felt like I was watching it for the first time again. The 3D really impressed and fitted the film perfectly;

- Pacific Rim was enjoyable enough but a little too heavy on the CGI for me to engage with properly;

- Star Trek Into Darnkess was another fun romp in the reboot of the series, and I say that as a fan of the various tv series and original movies;

- Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa was brilliant. As a big Partridge fan I was very concerned at making the jump to the big screen but the movie was very faithful to the character and was very funny.

- Gravity was another I saw in IMAX 3D and this is probably the best film I have ever seen to make use of the format. I feel 3D is a gimmick and IMAX is only relevant to certain types of picture, but they both helped enhance the feel and atmosphere the story tried to convey. I doubt the home theatre experience could come close to replicating the truly impressive visuals of this film on the big screen. Not a huge Clooney or Bullock fan, but the film was captivating;

- Mama I found to be a pretty fresh and genuinely creepy horror film, I was quite surprised how much I liked this as not the biggest fan of the genre;

- Django Unchained was one of the best films I have ever seen. I went into it not knowing any more than that it was a Western by Tarantino about slavery. I was blown away. The casting, the acting (particularly Chrisopher Waltz and Di Caprio), the dialogue, the story. One of Tarantino's best. The best film I saw this year by far.

- On the opposite end of the spectrum however, I'd have to say the concluding part of Simon Pegg's "Cornetto Trilogy" (The World's End) was one of the most disappointing films I have seen in years. A a big fan of Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz even moreso, this was a real let-down. Unlikeable characters, naff story, boring, and not funny. I felt like walking out of the cinema (only the second time I've ever had the urge to do so). To think it seems to have very good reviews honestly baffles me;

- A Good Day To Die Hard was a fun couple of hours however it was hampered by a totally limp villain with no presence that is a pale shade of the likes of Alan Rickman or Jeremy Irons. The newer Die Hards are not helped by the less hard ratings. I like my John McClane films with a lot of bad language and gratuitous violence thank you very much;

- Iron Man 3 was so overrated as well. I found Downey's Tony Stark even more annoying that usual and the plot very weak, and the major twist, whilst funny, hindered the film more than it enhanced it. I found this one quite boring and the CGI-fest finale was not engaging.

So I've seen a couple at the cinema this year and fortunately for the most part, I enjoyed them!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Well, I just walked out of The Hobbit: DOS and I remember why I am not going to the movies as much. A-hole in front of me giving commentary to his friend in front of me.
Person who sat beside me that reeked of body odor.
The woman a row or two behind me that complained about what a boring film she was in three times.
The overall lack of respect for anyone else in the theatre makes me want to go less and less now that I only have to wait 3 to 6 months and see it in my own home. It may not be the big screen but at least I can enjoy the film.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
These are all the ones I saw from this year.
Asterisk indicates we saw them at the movies (usually the drive-in). All others rented on DVD (usually Redbox), except where noted.

GANGSTER SQUAD (looked great, but not much to it)
MAMA (good n' scary)
MOVIE 43 (should've had better material for all these stars)
WARM BODIES (excellent)
IDENTITY THIEF (funny)
SIDE EFFECTS (Soderbergh the master can tell great stories in his sleep)
JACK THE GIANT KILLER (Good)
OZ (Good)
THE CALL (exciting)
BURT WONDERSTONE (funny)
ADMISSION (we expect more from Fey and Rudd than this)
*(NETFLIX) ROOM 237 (crazy theories about the 1980 movie adaptation of "The Shining")
EVIL DEAD (good remake)
42 (good biography)
OBLIVION (Cruise still tries hard)
*IRON MAN 3 (3 times better than Iron Man 2, not as good as Iron Man or The Avenger)
*GREAT GATSBY (Another classic from Baz Luhrmann. This is where Leo shines, not in Scorsese movies)
*STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS (as good as the first, which was excellent)
*HANGOVER 3 (funny, but not as good as the first two)
NOW YOU SEE ME (good, but not as good as recent "magic" movies, The Prestige and The Illusionist)
THE PURGE (good idea, could've been better)
*MAN OF STEEL (a good start, but sequel needs to improve)
*THIS IS THE END (Enjoyable with the actors poking good fun at themselves)
WORLD WAR Z (Good, exciting)
*THE HEAT (Funny)
THE WAY WAY BACK (Well done, maybe flawed by lead actor, the kid)
PACIFIC RIM (Giant monsters versus Giant Robots by Del Toro? You had me at "giant")
THE CONJURING (Good, not excellent)
*(On Cable TV: CNN) BLACK FISH (Good luck after this one, SeaWorld)
THE WOLVERINE (Good, not excellent)
GRAVITY (Wow! Looked incredible.)

Not too much "culture" in the above, but we don't have a good arthouse cinema around here (but plenty of multiplexes that play the same movie on 6 screens, though).

I plan to see all of these listed below at some point, with the asterisk here indicating ones I hope to see at the actual cinema instead of DVD rentals sometime in 2014. These tend to be the more "independent" type films, and as I learn more about some others, I'm sure this list will grow.

TO THE WONDER
MUD
STORIES WE TELL
FRANCES HA
I'M SO EXCITED
LONE RANGER
FRUITVALE STATION
BLUE JASMINE
ELYSIUM
WE'RE THE MILLERS
IN A WORLD
KICKASS 2
THE BUTLER
MORTAL INSTRUMENTS
YOU'RE NEXT
THE WORLD'S END
SALINGER
ENOUGH SAID
THANKS FOR SHARING
DON JON
A.C.O.D.
CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
MANDY LANE
MACHETE KILLS
12 YEARS A SLAVE
CARRIE
ALL IS LOST
I, DIVINE
DALLAS BUYERS CLUB
THOR DARK WORLD
NEBRASKA
HUNGER GAMES 2
BETTIE PAGE REVEALS ALL
PHILOMENA
*INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
*HOBBIT 2
SAVING MR. BANKS
AMERICAN HUSTLE
*HER
*ANCHORMAN 2
AUGUST OSAGE COUNTY
WOLF OF WALL STREET
SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY

And that's 75 movies from the year 2013 in all that I wouldn't mind seeing, basically one for every 5 days. All that along with the great TV and there certainly are a lot of things to watch these days!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
I can only get to the movies a few times a year but with a big T.V. and just as big speakers I don't mind waiting a few months and just watching it at home.

Movies I saw in 2013:

Man of Steel - Pretty good
Monster's University - Fun for the family
Planes - Just as good as Cars
Oz, The great and powerful - O.K.
The Croods - Didn't really like it
Evil Dead - Decent horror movie, not campy like the original. A lot of scenes that make you cringe.
World War Z - Good. Need to watch it again
Turbo - good kids movie
Wolverine - So-so movie but a lot of good action
Smurfs 2 - why did I subject myself to this movie?

Movies I want to see:
Warm Bodies - Saw it last night - O.K.
Iron Man 3
Thor 2
Star Trek into Darkness
Hangover 3
Pain and Gain - looks funny to me. Hope it isn't all in the previews
This is the End
Despicable Me 2
Pacific Rim
We're the Millers
Kick *** 2 - Loved the first one
The Grandmaster - Love me some Kung-Fu!
Riddick
Gravity
Dallas Buyer's Club
Wolf of Wall Street - not sure if it comes out this year

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ifish73,

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

- Despite the mixed reviews I REALLY enjoyed Man of Steel, the casting and the music in particular;

- On the opposite end of the spectrum however, I'd have to say the concluding part of Simon Pegg's "Cornetto Trilogy" (The World's End) was one of the most disappointing films I have seen in years. A a big fan of Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz even moreso, this was a real let-down. Unlikeable characters, naff story, boring, and not funny. I felt like walking out of the cinema (only the second time I've ever had the urge to do so). To think it seems to have very good reviews honestly baffles me;

- Iron Man 3 was so overrated as well. I found Downey's Tony Stark even more annoying that usual and the plot very weak, and the major twist, whilst funny, hindered the film more than it enhanced it. I found this one quite boring and the CGI-fest finale was not engaging.

I hope I flip-flop with you because I bought The World's End for Xmas and was hoping to enjoy it. I loved Hot Fuzz, but was not that crazy about Shawn of the Dead. I thought it started out very funny and then got too close to being one of the films it was parodying.

I had a hard time sitting through Man of Steel because I liked neither the actors nor the story. I guess I am just tapped out on Superman and Batman.

On the other hand we agree on Ironman 3. I liked the first one and thought Stark was a good character in Avengers, but he is too shallow to carry his own movie, much like Wolferine is too broody to be enjoyed.

Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
I wasn't blown away by many movies this year. Most of the big releases ended up being just hype to me. Man of Steel was OK. Wolverine was not very good. Most of my favorites this year were animated movies like The Croods, Despicable Me 2, Monsters University, and Turbo. But then again, that may be because my kids watch them repeatedly.

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just saw "We're the Millers". It was funny-ish, but not strictly funny.
Next up is Elysium from Neil Blomkamp of "District 9" fame.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Elysium=Exciting.
Good stuff and nice to see Sharlto Copley from "District" 9 really chewing the scenery this time around.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Took the family to see The Hobbit movie tonight. Really wishing Peter Jackson had just stuck to the original story and not turned this into a three-movie CGI fest with lots of extra "stuff" thrown in. Still trying to figure out the Evangeline Lilly character....

Posts: 1457 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Took the family to see The Hobbit movie tonight. Really wishing Peter Jackson had just stuck to the original story and not turned this into a three-movie CGI fest with lots of extra "stuff" thrown in. Still trying to figure out the Evangeline Lilly character....

It's simple, they needed a female character to show that the guys do more than questing. Big Grin

See I'm trying to keep it PG. Wink

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Just started a thread for a movie club.

Any interest come on over and check it out.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....937096646#1937096646

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

- On the opposite end of the spectrum however, I'd have to say the concluding part of Simon Pegg's "Cornetto Trilogy" (The World's End) was one of the most disappointing films I have seen in years. A a big fan of Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz even moreso, this was a real let-down. Unlikeable characters, naff story, boring, and not funny. I felt like walking out of the cinema (only the second time I've ever had the urge to do so). To think it seems to have very good reviews honestly baffles me;.

I hope I flip-flop with you because I bought The World's End for Xmas and was hoping to enjoy it. I loved Hot Fuzz, but was not that crazy about Shawn of the Dead. I thought it started out very funny and then got too close to being one of the films it was parodying.

X you were 100% right on World's End, I wish I hadn't gotten the DVD for Xmas. I was interested for the first 30 minutes and then it got into the aliens, which could have been amusing, but just became mind numbingly stupid. The whole last half was unfunny trash that they didn't even know how to end. Total waste of my time. Mad

But it did remind me of a terrific little movie that knew how to do the alien invasion/end of the world plot right, The Faculty.

Cheers. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

- On the opposite end of the spectrum however, I'd have to say the concluding part of Simon Pegg's "Cornetto Trilogy" (The World's End) was one of the most disappointing films I have seen in years. A a big fan of Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz even moreso, this was a real let-down. Unlikeable characters, naff story, boring, and not funny. I felt like walking out of the cinema (only the second time I've ever had the urge to do so). To think it seems to have very good reviews honestly baffles me;.

X you were 100% right on World's End, I wish I hadn't gotten the DVD for Xmas. I was interested for the first 30 minutes and then it got into the aliens, which could have been amusing, but just became mind numbingly stupid. The whole last half was unfunny trash that they didn't even know how to end. Total waste of my time. Mad

But it did remind me of a terrific little movie that knew how to do the alien invasion/end of the world plot right, The Faculty.

Cheers. Smile

Sorry that you ended up agreeing with me Raven! It was really, really bad!

The Faculty is one I have not seen in years but is one I have always enjoyed a great deal.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post