Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free Comic Book Day
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kennywood,

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
went to the FCBD in Wolverhampton, what a complete waste of time. Shake Head

The whole thing just looked like an excuse to try and sell lots of old stuff for half price.

There were a few comics which were free but not many.

If there were any other things that were supposed to be on offer they nothing about them.

Twak

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
our local planet only gave out free comics when you bought something else yet travelling man had bundles for free

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
My local card store did a nice job, plenty of free stuff, lots of discounted comics and a Spiderman taking photos with the kids, and some adults too. Big Grin

There was a nice crowd when I passed by, but it works both ways. People say that some stores don't give out enough, but many of the people who show up on Free Comic Book Day are not regular customers. My LCS was much busier than usual on a Saturday, but I don't know if they were making any more money than usual.

It's a nice promotion, but the idea is to get more paying customers for the business, not get more non-paying business for a day. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Wish I had a local comic shop near by in my area Frown

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bookman
posted Hide Post
Rember that the store has to buy the comics that say free, and you have to buy x number of x number of titles to even get any to give out free.

Posts: 49 | Location: MARION IL. USA | Registered: May 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bookman:
Rember that the store has to buy the comics that say free, and you have to buy x number of x number of titles to even get any to give out free.

The UK comic shops also has to pay postage to get them here from USA

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
Forbidden Planet in London still had quite a few comics left on Sunday

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

It's a nice promotion, but the idea is to get more paying customers for the business, not get more non-paying business for a day. ;

I got the distinct feeling when I was there that the lack of response was because I was asking and not buying, I had the feeling that if I had been buying a load of stuff from the shop all these things that did not exist would suddenly have appeared.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Went to my local after work and I think they had 3 different comics that they were giving away for free. I chose The New 52 Futures End. I didn't purchase anything, but there were a lot of people lined up at the cash counter and they had some sketch artists in store as well. So I think they had a pretty good day, sale wise.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post