Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Disney Lost 200 M on "John Carter"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disney Lost 200 M on "John Carter"
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Saw the thing on MSN about how Disney's VP, Ross (forget his first name) is out of a job after 2 1/2 years due to a series of box office bombs. His failures include last year's "Mars Needs Moms" and the recent "John Carter", which Disney says they lost 200 million dollars on.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well I called that dud way back in the John Carter thread.

For a film with a huge budget Disney ran only a few commercials for the movie right before it opened and they were poor ads. It was supposed to be Mars, but the time was the Civil War, Carter was a transported Confederate soldier, and the whole thing looked like Conan or Tarzan. It was a very disjointed storyline, although it was based on the novels, and the scenes looked cheap despite all the money spent.

I think Disney went ahead with an expensive project that it didn't know how to market and then left it to die. The actual film might not be that bad, but it will never make back its production cost even with DVD.

Posts: 10390 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It cost 250 million to make, and only grossed a mere 69 million at the U.S. box office

Worldwide total gross, 269 million.

Obviously Disney is upset that a 250 million only made 19 million (269-250). No wonder heads are rolling

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
It cost 250 million to make, and only grossed a mere 69 million at the U.S. box office

Worldwide total gross, 269 million.

Obviously Disney is upset that a 250 million only made 19 million (269-250). No wonder heads are rolling

That's not how studios figure out revenue. Disney believes it lost $200 million because movies have to make back roughly twice the production cost just to break even by their calculations. Studios count in all the advertising, international expenses and various other things to come up with the figure. That's why actors with backend points often complain, to hear the studios they never make money on anything. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10390 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
For what I saw, Disney spent about $10 on marketing Shake Head

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Well I called that dud way back in the John Carter thread.

For a film with a huge budget Disney ran only a few commercials for the movie right before it opened and they were poor ads. It was supposed to be Mars, but the time was the Civil War, Carter was a transported Confederate soldier, and the whole thing looked like Conan or Tarzan. It was a very disjointed storyline, although it was based on the novels, and the scenes looked cheap despite all the money spent.

I think Disney went ahead with an expensive project that it didn't know how to market and then left it to die. The actual film might not be that bad, but it will never make back its production cost even with DVD.

I saw the movie and thought it was good. Think Star Wars with no Jar Jar Binks! It was definitely better than Wrath of the Titans and the Three Stooges which were okay at best. At least the Three Stooges was funny. Too bad there weren't any cards for either one of these movies.

Posts: 9 | Location: Vista | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post