Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
The Joker

This topic can be found at:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/3817006096

July 24, 2018, 09:16 AM
Tommy C
The Joker
Heard on the radio that The Joker (Batman villain) movie is coming in late 2019, starring Joaquin Phoenix and allegedly, Robert DeNiro as a talk show host who "causes the Joker to descend into madness"
July 24, 2018, 10:58 AM
Raven
I have to say that, with the exception of Signs, I have never seen a movie featuring Joaquin Phoenix that I liked. He is a strange man with strange ideas. Maybe that makes him a genius, I wouldn't know. He can act these roles well, but the roles he chooses to play and the films he makes are way out of the mainstream. Sometimes I appreciate those oddball stories, but never anything he has done that I saw.

DeNiro will put his name to anything now. As an actor I have lost all respect for him. I'm sure he cares about that. Big Grin

So anyway, between the two of them, this has disaster written all over it. And do we even need another Joker backstory?
July 24, 2018, 12:27 PM
Tommy C
I liked him as Johnny Cash in WALK THE LINE, back in 2005

He was also the villain in GLADIATOR with Russell Crowe, in 2000

Yes, this Joker film doesn't sound very good. Reportedly, the budget is only 55 M so as to minimize losses
July 24, 2018, 03:20 PM
Raven
Forgot about those, he was a good Johnny Cash. Gladiator was too overwrought for me, but both those were early in his career. Phoenix's roles have gotten more weird as time goes on. He's a shell shocked assassin in his latest indie and the one where he played Jesus to Rooney Mara's Mary was never even distributed in the US. I think its going to DVD and streaming. You can think him an artistic genius or someone with no sense ruining a promising career. I'm leaning toward the latter.
July 24, 2018, 04:47 PM
Tommy C
To add to the confusion, several websites report that Jared Leto is still doing his own, separate Joker film

And, of course, the movie producers are saying that the Phoenix film will be "grim and gritty", using the oft repeated cliche...
April 03, 2019, 11:55 AM
David R
Here is the trailer for this


https://www.youtube.com/watch?...hDoXXKX_qgxaxRCzfHIQ
April 03, 2019, 01:05 PM
Raven
Looks like a cross between Taxi Driver and Death Wish. Trying real hard to turn what used to be a vicious villain into a bullied sympathetic hero, at least in the trailer scenes. It's no wonder kids are getting confused when nothing is bad and it's all society's fault. Wink

They should call this film Sympathy for the Joker. Big Grin
April 03, 2019, 02:20 PM
Tommy C
Yes, people are noting that it has elements of "Taxi Driver" (1976) and "The King of Comedy" (1982) in it.

All 3 of these films star Robert De Niro and were produced by none other than Martin Scorsese

Also, unless I am mistaken, in one scene he's walking past a porno theater, which evokes memories of "Taxi Driver"

Finally, this Joker movie is set in the year 1981, not the present.
April 03, 2019, 05:41 PM
aeolus14ummbra
Based on the trailer, this is an easy pass for me
April 03, 2019, 06:24 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Also, unless I am mistaken, in one scene he's walking past a porno theater, which evokes memories of "Taxi Driver"

Finally, this Joker movie is set in the year 1981, not the present.


Right, the only way that you don't pick up the Taxi Driver vibe is if you are just unfamiliar with that film. Also The Warriors and Death Wish because of the subways and back alleys and just that dirty look of faux New York in the late 70's. And maybe just a hint of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest too.

There is a reason why we are getting films and TV shows set in the 70's and 80's, even the 90's. Stuff like Captain America, Stranger Things and now Joker. It's not just that it was a kinder era and people had different attitudes, because Taxi Driver and Death Wish did not come from a gentler time. It's because it's easier to set these stories in the more technology restricted past, or in an elaborately envisioned future, than it is to tell comic book and horror tales in the present time. There are just too many plot holes for it.

Everyone has a cell phone, most have smart phones. Communication is instant, no one is out of range, nothing can't be Googled, cameras are on everywhere, Homeland Security is always deployed, TMZ is always reporting. In the modern environment of a big city, try being a Caped Crusader or his enemy. These stories only work on a distant planet in the year 2319 or 40 years ago. Big Grin

And the trailer isn't my cup of tea either, not the least of which because I didn't like his method actor's version of the Joker's laugh and wouldn't want to sit through a lot of it.
April 04, 2019, 08:35 AM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
They should call this film Sympathy for the Joker. Big Grin


Had the same impression. Still, I like it when the comic genre breaks out of the standard formula. (i.e. Unbreakable, Watchmen, LOGAN, etc)

Can't say I am crazy about the trailer but I will probably go check it out.
April 04, 2019, 10:56 AM
Tommy C
Having lived in NY in the 1970s and 80s, I can say that it wasn't a "kinder era"

As a child, I thought it was a pretty scary time, with urban decay, violence, and drugs everywhere. Remember how bad the subways were, with graffiti covering everything ?

This was the era of Etan Patz and Bernie Goetz
April 04, 2019, 11:45 AM
Raven
I think you may have misread my post Tommy, take a look again. I rode the subways in the 70's too so I know what you're saying, but on the other hand I never saw those bat wielding, rolling skating, Bronx Bombers either. Big Grin Outside of places like NY, I think most people do wax nostalgic.

Be happy you moved, we have gone super Progressive. Nuff said. Big Grin
April 05, 2019, 01:57 AM
chesspieceface
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Yes, people are noting that it has elements of "Taxi Driver" (1976) and "The King of Comedy" (1982) in it.

All 3 of these films star Robert De Niro and were produced by none other than Martin Scorsese

Also, unless I am mistaken, in one scene he's walking past a porno theater, which evokes memories of "Taxi Driver"

Finally, this Joker movie is set in the year 1981, not the present.


Bruce Wayne is a little kid in the trailer, so if this Joker is ever to meet Batman, he'd have to be about 20 years older than he is in this movie.

Phoenix was great in "To Die For", "The Master", "Clay Pigeons", "Her", and "Inherent Vice", and very good in a lot of other movies I've enjoyed. Looking forward to this one already...

____________________
Everywhere around this burg they're running out of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Everywhere around this town, they're running out of nouns.
April 05, 2019, 08:36 AM
ifish73
Looks like they used the Killing Joke as a base for this movie. The trailer doesn't grab me but I am sure I will watch it.
April 06, 2019, 09:48 PM
catskilleagle
I don't know, Raven. People still get away with crimes, no one has caught Bigfoot yet, and I have trouble calling out of the Gainesville, Florida area. It's still a jungle out there.


quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Also, unless I am mistaken, in one scene he's walking past a porno theater, which evokes memories of "Taxi Driver"

Finally, this Joker movie is set in the year 1981, not the present.


Right, the only way that you don't pick up the Taxi Driver vibe is if you are just unfamiliar with that film. Also The Warriors and Death Wish because of the subways and back alleys and just that dirty look of faux New York in the late 70's. And maybe just a hint of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest too.

There is a reason why we are getting films and TV shows set in the 70's and 80's, even the 90's. Stuff like Captain America, Stranger Things and now Joker. It's not just that it was a kinder era and people had different attitudes, because Taxi Driver and Death Wish did not come from a gentler time. It's because it's easier to set these stories in the more technology restricted past, or in an elaborately envisioned future, than it is to tell comic book and horror tales in the present time. There are just too many plot holes for it.

Everyone has a cell phone, most have smart phones. Communication is instant, no one is out of range, nothing can't be Googled, cameras are on everywhere, Homeland Security is always deployed, TMZ is always reporting. In the modern environment of a big city, try being a Caped Crusader or his enemy. These stories only work on a distant planet in the year 2319 or 40 years ago. Big Grin

And the trailer isn't my cup of tea either, not the least of which because I didn't like his method actor's version of the Joker's laugh and wouldn't want to sit through a lot of it.