Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Joker
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Heard on the radio that The Joker (Batman villain) movie is coming in late 2019, starring Joaquin Phoenix and allegedly, Robert DeNiro as a talk show host who "causes the Joker to descend into madness"

Posts: 2045 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have to say that, with the exception of Signs, I have never seen a movie featuring Joaquin Phoenix that I liked. He is a strange man with strange ideas. Maybe that makes him a genius, I wouldn't know. He can act these roles well, but the roles he chooses to play and the films he makes are way out of the mainstream. Sometimes I appreciate those oddball stories, but never anything he has done that I saw.

DeNiro will put his name to anything now. As an actor I have lost all respect for him. I'm sure he cares about that. Big Grin

So anyway, between the two of them, this has disaster written all over it. And do we even need another Joker backstory?

Posts: 6646 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I liked him as Johnny Cash in WALK THE LINE, back in 2005

He was also the villain in GLADIATOR with Russell Crowe, in 2000

Yes, this Joker film doesn't sound very good. Reportedly, the budget is only 55 M so as to minimize losses

Posts: 2045 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Forgot about those, he was a good Johnny Cash. Gladiator was too overwrought for me, but both those were early in his career. Phoenix's roles have gotten more weird as time goes on. He's a shell shocked assassin in his latest indie and the one where he played Jesus to Rooney Mara's Mary was never even distributed in the US. I think its going to DVD and streaming. You can think him an artistic genius or someone with no sense ruining a promising career. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Posts: 6646 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
To add to the confusion, several websites report that Jared Leto is still doing his own, separate Joker film

And, of course, the movie producers are saying that the Phoenix film will be "grim and gritty", using the oft repeated cliche...