Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CBS Supergirl
 Login/Join

posted
Have to say that I was very impressed with the Pilot episode, and think this will be a hit. With the lot of superhero autographed cards that I have, I have not purchased for a TV show, though I might be inclined to add Melissa Benoit if they make a set and she had an autograph card. Has anyone heard if they are going to make a set for this show?

Posts: 31 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: September 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Too early and the DC license will be expensive. Might happen in a year or two, but who knows how hot the actual show will be then?

This is the big problem with doing TV shows for card companies. They have to commit early if they want to keep up with series and take advantage of the hype. Yet that is a big gamble if the show bombs out.

So they also want to wait to make sure there are enough fans to support a set. Only if they do that, than 2 seasons go by, the first set is finally released, and the show is either no longer hot or, even worse, cancelled.

This one got a big opening audience. It will lose viewers next week, they all do, but someone will want the license if it remains a hit show. What it costs and when it can be done will determine if it can even happen.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Still waiting to see if someone will get the Gotham license Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Still waiting to see if someone will get the Gotham license Big Grin

Perfect example, some company should have that set ready for release already and yet no one has it lined up at all. On the other hand the Agents of Shield cards could not have gotten out better, but that is of course Marvel.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
After great first episode numbers and declining ratings ever since, Supergirl has been dropped by CBS and will be picked up by the CW for season 2, to join the other super hero shows Arrow and Flash already on that network.

Look for the quality to go cheap, but it would probably increase the likelihood of a card set if it can meet the CW's lower standards of success. I guess season 2 could be made as the first set, since season 1 rights would still be owned by CBS. Just speculating of course.

I must admit I didn't watch this show, so I don't know why it started so hot and then petered away.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I must admit I didn't watch this show, so I don't know why it started so hot and then petered away.
Possibly because it rapidly followed the same standard episode formula of just about every other superhero/superpowered TV series, i.e. the 'she loses her powers' story, the 'she turns bad' story, the evil doppelganger story, etc. However, this did allow for a fun conversation between the two main characters to compare recent histories in the Flash/Supergirl crossover episode. I suspect it also didn't help that Supergirl rapidly became somewhat less than super in her battles with the super powered bad guy of the week...until she finally managed to perform a truly superhuman feat of strength in the final episode. And the various (unrequited) love triangles probably put quite a lot of people off.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Possibly because it rapidly followed the same standard episode formula of just about every other superhero/superpowered TV series, i.e. the 'she loses her powers' story, the 'she turns bad' story, the evil doppelganger story, etc. However, this did allow for a fun conversation between the two main characters to compare recent histories in the Flash/Supergirl crossover episode. I suspect it also didn't help that Supergirl rapidly became somewhat less than super in her battles with the super powered bad guy of the week...until she finally managed to perform a truly superhuman feat of strength in the final episode. And the various (unrequited) love triangles probably put quite a lot of people off.

That sounds about right. Even when it is an iconic character you still have to have writers that can come up with stories.

The thought about that crossover episode and now that the show moved, is to put her together with Flash eventually. Maybe Arrow can make that triangle. Big Grin

I have seen parts of The Flash show, not too much. It looked that bad to me. Like it was filmed in someone's basement and the special effects out of Plan 9 From Outer Space. They also work out of Canada apparently. Not much of an upside me thinks.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I saw only the first episode and the last episode, oddly, and I thought both of those were pretty good. All of the rest of them are on my DVR. Maybe this summer I can catch up on that and see where it all went wrong, haha.

I can say that based on what I've seen, Benoist makes a great Supergirl. She has the perfect look to play her and is adept at deliver that winsome, yet determined attitude that's long been a hallmark of her character in the comics.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post