Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Supernatural versus Fantasy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supernatural versus Fantasy?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
Okay as someone who's not the best at discerning their TV genres unless obvious hopefully someone can help me out.

What's the main difference that (According to Wikipedia) puts shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer under supernatural drama but Charmed under fantasy drama?

Particularly when both shows had similar elements eg Whitelighters / Watchers, Witches, Demons etc.

Is there a major differentiation? And if so, what is that and why? Thanks.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If you see a Vampire or Zombie, its supernatural.

If you see a Unicorn or Dragon, its fantasy.

If I had to draw a line, I would say that fantasy involves other places/worlds/times, while supernatural is this world, but unnatural things are happening. That's just my interpretation of it.

I never liked Charmed much. They may just be calling it fantasy because it was too lightweight to be regarded as supernatural. Supernatural usually leans heavily on the horror element.

So now let's define Horror. Blood, gore and death. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the reply. Yeah I always called Charmed 'Supernatural' simply because it had magical/other world elements but your definition or 'line' made the split between than and Buffy clearer.

Horror definition: Big Grin

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post