Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Sarah Michelle SDCC 2022

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/3297020996

July 23, 2022, 05:50 AM
Raven
Sarah Michelle SDCC 2022
I haven't seen Sarah Michelle Geller in a while, so I did a little bit of a double take when I watched her walk out at this year's SDCC. She has joined the cast of "Wolf Pack". While I don't know what that is, the bad acting displayed by everyone on this "Teen Wolf" panel isn't a good sign.

Neither is SMG, who is only 45 and would be better off if she just let herself look like it. The forced enthusiasm of this promo with her and these blank guys just made me miss the old Buffy. See what you think.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/d...Q7Jf?category=foryou
July 23, 2022, 07:51 AM
mykdude
I would not have known that was her unless someone told me. Last Teen Wolf I saw had Justin Bateman in it. I remember a Wolf Pack MARVEL comic back in the 80's.....I don't think it's related.

Another article says Geller plays an arson investigator. That's sort of like killing vampires, right?

July 24, 2022, 02:39 PM
Hedgehog Witch
Oh dear...she's had face work. Roll Eyes When she smiles it pulls her nose and cheeks all out of shape. Why do, mostly, American actresses all have plastic surgery/botox etc, so they all end up looking identical, and lack the ability to act with any proper facial expressions.

As much as I loved the Buffy show, I never actually liked SMG and found her irritating. I much preferred some of the other characters and actors. I never thought SMG could act well at all...and now she's lost proper facial expressions...oh dear.
Something my late dad used to say, that always made us laugh, was that some of these actresses faces have been pulled so tight that when they smile, their knees bend. Big Grin
July 24, 2022, 03:26 PM
chesspieceface
Not seein' it.
No one looks 20 forever.

July 24, 2022, 05:46 PM
Hedgehog Witch
I used to paint portraits until a few years back, so maybe I'm a bit more sensitive to the changes to facial features...more than what normal aging does. There are parts of SMG's face that have very different markers now. Even when someone ages a lot, or gains/loses weight those markers are usually the same thing that we recognize. Maybe the lighting on that video makes it more off... but that was my first reaction. She's looking quite different to even the Buffy reunion photos of only 4-5 years ago too.
My point is also, that I wish people would be happy to age naturally and keep their own 'character' and not feel they have to try to look decades younger.
July 24, 2022, 06:57 PM
Raven
Geller's face has changed. You can say she looks good if you like it, but she doesn't look like herself and it has nothing to do with aging. Quite the opposite. I had to look twice to make sure it really was her.

The cheekbones, nose, mouth and chin line are all different. She doesn't have a wrinkle on her face. She has been photoshopped without needing the picture. Big Grin

It's probably Botox, but maybe some more lasting work was done. While I agree that it has become a common practice for many American actresses after their late thirties, it's not just them and not just now. Catherine Deneuve was having facelifts in her 20's. Sophia Loren will probably have one on her death bed. Wink

And many male stars hitting their 50's have gotten the same waxy look all of a sudden too. Men just wait a bit longer than women because actresses have a shorter shelf life and are under more pressure. The real 25-year-olds never stop coming.

I don't blame them for trying to hang in as long as possible, but it fools no one and can be very counterproductive. Frown lines and crow's feet and laugh lines can make a face more attractive. A good-looking person in their 20's is usually a stunner in their 40's, female or male. Subtle facial expressions are necessary for actors and if features don't move because they're all puffed up and smooth, how do you give a great performance?

Of course, they can't give a performance if they can't get a job, so that's also why there are so many clones in Hollywood. Razz
July 24, 2022, 07:51 PM
catskilleagle
I haven't seen the SMG picture but I notice the changes more with actresses in their 50's who want to look 30. Their faces have an immobile mask-like appearance. Sometimes with plastic surgery, the cheeks pucker unnaturally when they talk (muscles forced to move in a different way?). They don't actually look younger. They just look like they went to a lot of expense to look different but that passes for younger in Hollywood. It all reminds me of that scene in the original "Logan's Run" in which Logan 5 seeks to change his appearance and the lasers end up shooting everywhere.

It's interesting to read what an artist notices.

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
I used to paint portraits until a few years back, so maybe I'm a bit more sensitive to the changes to facial features...more than what normal aging does. There are parts of SMG's face that have very different markers now. Even when someone ages a lot, or gains/loses weight those markers are usually the same thing that we recognize. Maybe the lighting on that video makes it more off... but that was my first reaction. She's looking quite different to even the Buffy reunion photos of only 4-5 years ago too.
My point is also, that I wish people would be happy to age naturally and keep their own 'character' and not feel they have to try to look decades younger.

July 25, 2022, 04:57 AM
Kevin F
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It all reminds me of that scene in the original "Logan's Run" in which Logan 5 seeks to change his appearance and the lasers end up shooting everywhere.
An even better example is in Star Trek: Insurrection where the villains literally have their faces stretched to maintain their youth Smile

The scenes in the operating theatre when they undergo the procedure are truly cringeworthy but you can't help thinking it was a deliberate dig at people undergoing the same sort of thing in real life. I seem to remember facelifts were the in-thing for stars to have at the time the film was made Smile
July 25, 2022, 08:55 AM
Hedgehog Witch
I'm sure Doctor Who had a dig too, with their character Lady Cassandra during the Tennant era. She was just a face on a flat piece of skin stretched out on a frame. Big Grin
July 25, 2022, 09:23 AM
Kevin F
quote:
I'm sure Doctor Who had a dig too, with their character Lady Cassandra during the Tennant era. She was just a face on a flat piece of skin stretched out on a frame. Big Grin
As played by the lovely Zoe Wanamaker...but she first appeared with Chris Eccleston in the second story of 'New Who' Smile

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0562997

She returned to face David Tennant the following year.
July 25, 2022, 09:41 AM
Bill Mullins
quote:
She was just a face on a flat piece of skin stretched out on a frame. Big Grin

July 25, 2022, 11:18 AM
Kevin F
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
She was just a face on a flat piece of skin stretched out on a frame. Big Grin

That's a photo of Katherine Helmond in Terry Gilliam's weird masterpiece: 'Brazil'

...but it is appropriate for the discussion Big Grin

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846