Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New James Bond Comic Book
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Dynamite has released the new James Bond comic book today, Nov 4, the first in 20 years

Unfortunately for collectors, it has almost 25 variant covers, for those of us who collect them

About 7 of them can be obtained through regular means, as they are various retailer incentives, 1 per 10, 1 per 20, etc.

However, there are at least some UK exclusives, some $ 50 Virgin art covers, and about a dozen covers exclusive to various comic stores throughout the USA. Frown

Posts: 3995 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The publisher Dynamite is pretty well known for using those Variant covers, as it helps them sell more than one of the same book (inside, anyway) to the same collector. They definitely aren't alone in the practice, but 25 different on one book is unusually high.

The upside is that almost all of the variants, with a few exceptions, end up selling for cover price or less a year or two from now. So if you're patient, you can get most of them later without spending an arm and a leg. (Haha, but 25 books even at cover price is about $100, so maybe not. Good luck!).

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actually, there are 28 covers, so it seems. There are pictures of all on the Dynamite website

Hopefully they won't do so many on issue # 2 !

Alot of them are limited to 400-500 copies each. I contacted one dealer in the UK whose website is on the cover of one of the variants, and he told me that he had no idea what I was talking about, that he knew nothing of his supposed exclusive cover

There have been alot worse. There was a particular Spider Man comic 3-4 years ago that had like 100-150 different versions of the cover. Amazing Spider Man 666 I think ?

Posts: 3995 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Alot of the store exclusives are already been sold by the stores themselves for $10-15 each

One is exclusive to the Books A Million chain of book stores, selling for $ 8

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Who is supposed to have UK exclusives?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wolfie, I am collecting these as well

One is a Diamond Previews UK exclusive. Yes, I know Diamond is the main comic distributor, here in the USA, as well. I have not seen this variant, nor do I know how to get it

A second UK variant is thru My Geek Box.Co.UK but I emailed them, as well, and they have no info on the comic

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are what the 28 covers are:

Regular Cover

Blank cover

Blank cover with $10 price on cover

6 different incentive covers, between 1:10 and 1:60, I believe

2 Dynamic Forces virgin covers

Black and white cover (source unknown)

Previews UK cover

My Geek Box.Co.UK cover

And the other 14 are exclusive through various comic stores; I noticed that 2 particular stores have 2 covers, each

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Am i the only person reading this and thinking that the world has gone mad. Shake Head

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, like Tommy said, back in 2011, Spider Man issue 666 had 145 different covers, literally !

So this is not AS bad. Smile

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Am i the only person reading this and thinking that the world has gone mad. Shake Head

No, but I would seriously wonder about anyone who thinks they need to buy the same comic 28 times over just for the cover. But then again I'm not a comic guy. Wink

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Because some people really like the artwork on the cover, and most of the covers are completely different. Although the virgin ones are simply versions without the James Bond logo on it

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just found out from Dynamite that there are 26 covers, not 28. 2 of the ones shown on the website were mistakenly depicted twice

Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I think we're not the greatest community to be commenting on the madness of collecting Wink

Not so much comics, but I have a bad habit at buying multiple copies of Empire if I enjoy the cover images, which are usually first look exclusives (particularly bad when they did 27 covers for their X-Men: Days of Future Past issue last year.) At least with comics there is lasting repeat-reading value! Had this dilemma with the Suicide Squad covers this month...

I've only vaguely been aware of My Geek Box - pops up on my Facebook as a suggested page every now and again - seems to be a mystery box product along the lines of Graze composed of blind-box surprises for subscribers. It's whole business model seemingly relies on consumers not knowing about the upcoming products they'll receive, which might suggest they're being deliberately secretive when asked.

I think I like the look of the MGC Madness, Games & Comics cover best myself!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rwn410,

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've managed to track down about 22 of the 26 so far

Still missing the 2 UK ones, and the Black and White cover. I have asked around, but no one seems to know where it is available

I am also missing the Heroes and Fantasy one, from a comic book store in Texas. I called them, and they said that they made 1,000 copies. All were sent to 8 different movie theaters in TX showing the SPECTRE movie this weekend, and the only way to get them is to go to these theaters to see the film Frown

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
Without any spoilers (my copy is in the post) is it a good read?

I'm a fan of Warren Ellis so I'm expecting something special Smile Thumb Up

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
http://www.bleedingcool.com/20...er-exclusive-covers/

15 covers listed/shown here on Bleeding Cool website

Posts: 751 | Location: UK | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are 25 covers total

The 15 you show in that link

The regular cover plus 6 incentives

2 Dynamic Forces virgin covers (no logos)

1 Blank cover

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Geek Box UK one is out

The only one of the 25 that I have not seen is the Previews UK one

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Potato Head
posted Hide Post
I picked up the PX Diamond UK Exclusive in Forbidden Plant. Limited to 500

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Finally, I found the PX Diamond UK on ebay

Now I have all 25 on the way to me

Hardest to get for me were the Heroes and Fantasies one (Texas), as you had to go to the movie theater to get them, and the Clint's Comics (Missouri) as he doesn't do mail order