Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    X-Files to Return in 2016 !
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X-Files to Return in 2016 !
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you'll want the DVD. I think going in that X-Files fans expected a 6 episode arc that would resolve at least some of the truth is out there conspiracy issues. There are 6 episodes, but really only 1 and 6 are linked. Sandwiched in between was more or less typical X-Files, good and so-so.

Won't do spoilers, but there isn't much to spoil, just more set-up.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
One thing I really liked the new arc was that at the very end, the thing that occurred, was witnessed by a lot of people. I think it does move us closer to the "truth" that has been teased at for so long when the government's ability to deny the existence of these kinds of things to the masses in the X-Files universe is so diminished. Looking forward to more (and "Aquarius", too. Duchovny has been killing it lately.)

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No spoilers from me either, but I also enjoyed the series and looking forward to more. Wink

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Episode 5 airs here on Monday and I must say I am enjoying the revival.

Despite some great moments from Duchovny & Anderson in ep.1 My Struggle, I was a little unsure about it. Wasn't too sure what they were trying to say with the mythology and the whole thing felt somewhat rushed. I've read this one got mixed reviews.

I thought ep.2 Founders Mutation was a huge improvement, very good, and very much on form with the older stuff.
I already knew before watching it, but I could feel that this episode shouldn't have been switched (was originally meant to air as the 5th episode) as its themes follow on perfectly from ep.4. It felt strange that Mulder & Scully were just straight back to the FBI with little explanation.

I didn't love ep.3 Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster but it was pretty decent for a comedy episode and had an original premise. Lots of clever moments and nice references for die-hard X-Philes (eg. red speedos) and Rhys Darby was very good as the guest star.

Ep.4 Home Again was best of the lot. Anderson got to show off her acting chops. Some very genuinely creepy moments, that again felt very X-Files. I felt the Trashman's motivation a little weak but the horror was balanced well with the drama. Speaking of the latter, I really do not understand why they didn't keep this episode and ep.2 paired together.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
SPOILERS

Ep.5 Babylon has got fairly slated, I think moreso due to the somewhat sensitive subject matter, but I really enjoyed it a lot. I think many missed the point it was about the power of belief, you know, what the X-Files was always about. And the show has never shied away from question of religion etc. and the bombing is the sort of thing real FBI would deal with.
The opening with bombing victims running about in flames was genuinely one of the most disturbing things I have seen on TV. And Mulder, high (or not) on shrooms was just brilliant and a good example of how well the show has always been able to balance different tones. The Mulder/Scully scene the end was real pleasure to watch and very well acted - the sort of thing that keeps X-Philes wanting more.

I went into Ep.6 My Struggle II bit dubious as I was not sure on part I, but I think this was a much better bookend.
The scenes with Willian B. Davis were a highlight and I enjoyed him peeling of bits of his face!
I was interested to see how they would reintroduce the Monica Reyes character as I always found her very 'blah' and I just think they made her about 600% more interesting. People online have said a "good" character would never "go bad" like that but faced with (supposed) certain death, I can very easily believe that people would pick self-preservation at almost any cost. For once it was refreshing to see someone accept the devil's deal. And I am pleased 2012 "date of colonisation" issue is being addressed, somehow..

I know the cliffhanger will drive some people mad but that was a hallmark from the finales in Seasons 2-7. I'm happy it means we'll 99% get more X-Files in future to wrap things up.

Curious to hear what others thought of the series!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by X:
I know the cliffhanger will drive some people mad but that was a hallmark from the finales in Seasons 2-7. I'm happy it means we'll 99% get more X-Files in future to wrap things up./QUOTE]

Do you really think anyone wants to wrap it up? For one thing, I don't think they have an ending other than that Mulder and Scully will be sucked up into a passing starship and he will turn to her and say, "Now I know what is out there". The End. Big Grin

But more important, fans keep accepting these cliffhangers without any ending and that ensures another season, or another movie, or another few episodes every so often. If you have something with job security to always fall back on, why would you want to shut it down? Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like there will be more X-Files

http://www.cnet.com/news/david...iles-are-on-the-way/

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted Hide Post
Wow, Gillian Anderson is still smoking hot!

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>:
Wow, Gillian Anderson is still smoking hot!

She's only 48, and yes she is. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Series 3 of The Fall started here last night, in which Gillian is as brilliant as always.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David Duchovny's show "Aquarius" was just cancelled after 2 seasons on NBC, so I guess he will have more time for X-Files !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
X-Files is coming back for 10 episodes in 2018

It is official

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
SPOILER ALERT (text in white)

Went to London Comic-Con yesterday and met Veronica Cartwright, said that obviously I liked her in Alien, but that I also really enjoyed her in The X-Files and funnily enough her episodes have just come up in re-runs at the moment.
She said, they were doing 10 more episodes, and already knowing this figured hey, she's passionate to see what they do with the new event series for 2017.
I said, oh the new ones? She replied, "yes, and they've asked me to come back".
Totally unprepared for that information(!) I said, "so are you?!"

She replied: "Of course! Why wouldn't I? I'm the only half human-alien hybrid!"

I can't find anything online about this, and I see no reason why she would lie about it, so you heard it here first! Big Grin
Would be great to see her in it again.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
X-Files is coming back for 10 episodes in 2018

It is official

The trailer for season 11 is out there!

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Gillian Anderson claims that the upcoming Season 11 (starting this month) of 10 episodes is her LAST, that she's not interested in doing more X-Files

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
The new season kicks off this Wednesday!

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I nominate Scarlett Ingrid Johansson to replace her.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Gillian Anderson claims that the upcoming Season 11 (starting this month) of 10 episodes is her LAST, that she's not interested in doing more X-Files

That's what they all say, for awhile. Roll Eyes

The only time it holds is when no one ever asks them to do it again. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
She said that no one should be surprised, as she said in 2017 before they started filming, that this was definitely THE END for her.

But as you said, "that's what they all say."

Didn't David Duchovny say back in 2000 that he was finished ?

Also, I was reading an article on the 1990s show "Northern Exposure" which star Rob Morrow quit back in 1994. Now that work has dried up, he said that he's all for a reunion show, and is getting chummy with his former castmates

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
As above, that's what they always say...

Duchovny wanted out after Season 6, fulfilled Season 7, dropped into Season 8 and his absence was most definitely felt in Season 9 - as if he couldn't get far enough away from the series. And yet he seemed the most eager for the revival.

Anderson on the other hand, who stuck with the show to the bitter end, always played her participation in the revival much more coyly, but always seemed enthusiastic. I am surprised she is being so vocal about being 'out' when she has never been like this before.

I really enjoyed Season 8 and thought Robert Patrick as Doggett was very good indeed, and even the much derided Season 9 had it's moments. Even the wonderful Anderson (along with Robert Patrick), couldn't float the series for too long on her own though, and I certainly don't feel that Duchovny is strong enough to do it on his own after Season 11 either.

Back in 2000, Chris Carter thought he could continue his show without the two leads, hence the intro of the Doggett and Reyes characters. But he was wrong and I hope he is not about to repeat the same mistake. From the sublime to the ridiculous episodes, Mulder & Scully were always the glue that held it all together.

If Gillian definitely is out, they should end the show (unless they know behind the scenes) she is coming back later.