Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ghostbusters Pictures
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Saw "Ghostbusters" and "Star Trek" on Sunday.

Both were fun summer movies. I'd give them each an 8 out of 10 (or 4/5 as my 4th grade math teacher would prefer I reduce it).

The "Ghostbusters" auditorium, the only one showing it in the multi-plex, was pretty packed, but I'm positive people were watching multiple movies yesterday, so I doubt it specifically sold all of those tickets. A nice air-conditioned movie theater is a great way to beat the heat, haha.

McKinnon was the standout in "Ghostbusters" as I thought she might be, although the whole cast was funny. I wonder how it is that Kate hasn't starred in a movie of her own yet. We'll see if there is indeed a "Ghostbusters" sequel, but for those who didn't stay after the credits, they set it up nicely there.

At the end of the day, where humor and plot are concerned, it turns out the ridiculous notion of women chasing ghosts is exactly 0% different than the ridiculous notion of men chasing ghosts.

Just to mix it up, though, I'd bring back Aykroyd, Hudson, and Murray (if they can get him) and put them all back on the team as Ghostbusters with the ladies for the sequel, especially if Zuul is the big-bad of the next one.

I think Dan WAS playing Ray Stantz in his cameo. How else would an ordinary cab-driver know the paranormal lingo the likes of which he used?

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
(oops, accidentally edited this into an old post from above. Here it is at the bottom of thread, where it belongs)

Me, last month:
"At this point, I'm going to call it now, although I acknowledge it may be wishful thinking: this movie will do well enough that there will be a sequel to it with this same cast."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movie...kt5R&ocid=spartandhp

D'oh!
Wishful thinking, as it turned out. Execs say the film has generated enough money from other "revenue streams" (including increased rentals of the original, haha) to cancel out the loss, but that's definitely not how sequels get made. They are talking about a full-length animation features and a followup animated TV series.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sony and Paul Feig blew the opportunity to reboot this franchise.

It wasn't the female Ghostbusters idea, it wasn't the cast.

It was a script and a director that wanted to do the same movie, while disregarding almost everything that was good about the original movie. Getting back to even, probably with a generous accounting treatment, is better than it deserved.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A budget of 144 M and a worldwide gross of only 180 M. How do you make a sequel on such a small profit ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Sony and Paul Feig blew the opportunity to reboot this franchise.

It wasn't the female Ghostbusters idea, it wasn't the cast.

It was a script and a director that wanted to do the same movie, while disregarding almost everything that was good about the original movie. Getting back to even, probably with a generous accounting treatment, is better than it deserved.

I think the biggest thing was it didn't need rebooting. Could they have continued what begun in 1984? Sure, and I think the reception would have been better with ANY cast. The marketing for this film was awful. You had terrible trailers that left people wondering "Is this a remake or a sequel?" And I truly believe confusing the audience just made people not care to want to find out.

In a way I'm glad this is a failure because it hopefully sends a message to Hollywood that we won't be force-fed uninspired rehashes. But the bad thing is this might altogether kill what could have been a large Ghostbusters revival.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The original film was the 2nd highest grossing film of 1984

The second one was # 7 in 1989 (pretty good)

This new one is currently # 14 for 2016, but I am sure with more films to be released this year, it will fall out of the Top 20

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw this with my girlfriend (who also liked it), but with Feig and McCarthy involved, we both agree that any movie they make together really should be rated R. That's how they've scored big hits in the past, but that obviously wasn't going to fly with Ghostbusters.

Hopefully, Kate McKinnon's standout performance will get her a lead role in a movie. She deserves one at this point.

Where card collecting is concerned, does anyone know if the announcement and hubbub surrounding the making of this movie helped to make the Cryptozoic Ghostbusters card set a reality? If so, at least the reboot can claim a little credit for helping a well-received set to the market.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Where card collecting is concerned, does anyone know if the announcement and hubbub surrounding the making of this movie helped to make the Cryptozoic Ghostbusters card set a reality? If so, at least the reboot can claim a little credit for helping a well-received set to the market.

Was it well received? I don't know, my LHS did not order it at all and I made no attempt to try to find boxes. They are available on that auction site. There are pages and pages of the CZE Ghostbuster cards.

The sketches are a mixed bag, I saw several really good ones and more that I would not like. The best autograph card is going for a little over $200 in some places.

The boxes appear to have been sold out by CZE, but are still being ordered thru their authorized dealers. A sold out product does not mean that it was a hit, just that the dealers are now stuck with it. Big Grin

I do think that the new movie did probably help to get this set released, just as it won't help getting any more done. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wasn't going to buy any regardless, not being a fan of the original movie or the cartoon series, but the fellas at the Blowout Forums seemed to enjoy it, and they tend to talk with their wallets.

(Wouldn't mind the Aykroyd autograph for my SNL collection, though....)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to an article on MSN today, Ivan Reitman's son is going ahead with a new, live action Ghostbusters film that will be in theaters in 2020.

He said that it will not be connected with the 2016 film, but that it will be "set in the same universe" as the 80s films. However, it will take place in the present day. He also said that it is too early to tell if any of the original guys will be involved.

Yet he claims that filming will start in a few months. So, we'll see what happens.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw a tiny teaser trailer for the proposed new Ghostbusters movie which was intriguing. It eneded with a tarpaulin blowing back to reveal a slightly tatty ECTO-1 ambulance. Could be interesting but for now it's down to: Watch this space Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Apparently at least 1 of the cast of the 2016 film is now bashing the proposed new movie, for "ignoring" their film.

She claims that an attempt to do a sequel to the 1980s films, is insulting because it is saying that there should NOT have been a female Ghostbusters team.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Apparently at least 1 of the cast of the 2016 film is now bashing the proposed new movie, for "ignoring" their film.

She claims that an attempt to do a sequel to the 1980s films, is insulting because it is saying that there should NOT have been a female Ghostbusters team.
I finally got to see the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot last month when it came on TV in the Christmas/New Year schedules. The reviews I read when it first came out did not prepare me for just how bad it was, so I think a sequel to the 1980s original films that ignores the reboot is a really good idea Big Grin

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They did it for Halloween 2018 and they wanted to do it for Aliens before the project collapsed. I'm not really in favor of this notion that you can take any point in a movie franchise and just make a film that deviants from and erases all sequels from that moment on. It seems like cheating. Why did the audience go to all those other movies if we should just forget about them now?

Having said that, if the new film is good and opens up new places that are better than where the story is left now, is that a bad thing? No, not if it's better, but yes if it's just a cash grab reimagining. Halloween 2018 did well at the box office and that's why this new trend will pick up for other dormant titles. Nothing like a copycat.

As for the last Ghostbusters, it couldn't be forgotten soon enough. There was sexism against the movie from the start, no denying it. If it was a great movie or even a good movie it would have been drowned out and been celebrated even more. It wasn't and sexism did not do it in. The cast should open their eyes and move on. Wink

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
I finally saw this Ghostbusters re-boot. It was a fun film but did feel like a poor mans gimmicky version rather than being 'true' to the franchise. Kind of like anyones who's ever sat through Casper 3 (or Casper 2 for that matter).

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post