https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/3017053776

July 20, 2015, 11:29 AM
Tommy C
New Ghostbusters Pictures
Your thoughts ?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/19/...know-feat/index.html
July 20, 2015, 02:39 PM
Raven
If that is the uniform and that is how they are wearing it, I have seen much better costumes at the Cons.

I'm a big Ghostbusters fan, to the point where I even enjoyed the inferior second movie just because of the cast. I am not yet thrilled about either one of the two upcoming films, male or female. I think they are trying to recreate the SNL atmosphere and I'm still not sure if they are making new stories, remakes, reboots, pre-quells or sequels.

I think the special effects will be better and the budgets larger. I don't think I can like these movies any more than Ghostbusters, so I guess that only leaves less. Big Grin
July 20, 2015, 04:05 PM
Tommy C
What do you mean by 1 of the 2 upcoming films ?
I was aware of just this one, with the women
July 20, 2015, 04:39 PM
Raven
The female Ghostbusters is being filmed, but it was also reported that a new all male version was in the works. Channing Tatum was mentioned, but that's about all. I think there was some idea that they might have the two movies, one all male and one all female, and then combine both groups in a sequel.

I haven't kept up with the progress on this, so it may have changed since I was reading about it earlier in the year, but I'm sure you can google it.
August 10, 2015, 09:45 AM
Tommy C
I heard on the radio today that Bill Murray confirmed that he WILL have a cameo in the new film
August 12, 2015, 02:32 PM
<<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
This is one movie I'm gonna pass! Like a ferrari passing a yugo on the autobahn!
September 27, 2015, 09:46 PM
Raven
So it was just announced that Sigourney Weaver will make an appearance in the new Ghostbusters. Don't know why this should be a big surprise to anyone, she is just joining Ackroyd, Murray and Hudson in what I assume will be cameo roles.

Trying to stay open minded, but I can't say that I like the set pictures that I've seen so far. Looks like the ladies are really camping it up and Ghostbusters was silly, but it was funny because the actors were dead panning the jokes and more or less letting the material work. They didn't need to be campy.

I'm afraid this one may be starting over the top and taking off from there.
March 05, 2016, 11:53 PM
Raven
So the first trailer for the new Ghostbuster picture just hit the internet. I did not laugh once in the 2 and a half minutes shown.

If that was supposed to be some of the best bits, this is going to get ugly. Big Grin
March 06, 2016, 12:53 AM
chesspieceface
On the upside, I never found the original very funny, and look how well that one did.

I may have only laughed 3 or 4 times during the entire movie (then again, I was a 13 year old kid who might have been considered "snarky", had only that word been invented in 1984). My favorite joke was Egon and the straightening of the Slinky and that didn't even have anything to do with ghosts, for Pete's sake.

Beyond trying to get hardcore fans of the original to see this (which may be tricky), they do have the safety net of director Paul Feig and actress Melissa McCarthy (who have already teamed up for the big hits "Bridesmaid" and "Spy") to fall back on. I think it's a safe bet that this new one won't be as popular with men as the original was, however it will likely do better with women. We'll see if that's enough for a "New Ghostbusters 2", and that'll let us know whether this one was successful or not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

March 06, 2016, 12:38 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

Beyond trying to get hardcore fans of the original to see this (which may be tricky), they do have the safety net of director Paul Feig and actress Melissa McCarthy (who have already teamed up for the big hits "Bridesmaid" and "Spy") to fall back on. I think it's a safe bet that this new one won't be as popular with men as the original was, however it will likely do better with women. We'll see if that's enough for a "New Ghostbusters 2", and that'll let us know whether this one was successful or not.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't watch anything just because of a gender switch. Ghostbusters was a comedy with a lot of sly jokes and improvised bits slipped in with the off wall slapstick and special effects. It still holds up today because it has an ensemble cast that combined to create a silly, enjoyable movie. Not everyone was a comedian, there were just as many straight men, that's what kept the balance.

Melissa McCarthy was very good in Bridesmaids because she was not the star. She got her scenes and was so over the top it was funny, you waited for her to show up. I have seen a couple of her movies now, including Spy, and it is way too much of her brand of comedy for my liking.

Same thing with Mike and Molly, which has now been cancelled. When it started she was the second billed star, but it was a large cast that each had a storyline. As her movie career got better, the show began to focus only on the Molly character, to the reduction and exclusion of the other characters. The show went right down hill after that. I don't believe they even announced it was taken off, it just disappeared.

Certainly I'm not saying that the new Ghostbusters won't make money. To the contrary, name recognition seems to mean that opening weekend box office is guaranteed regardless of what the film is like. I'm just saying I didn't like the first trailer, and judging by the majority of posted comments that I saw, lots of other people were not impressed either. To be continued, there is time to wait. Wink
April 12, 2016, 03:54 AM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Melissa McCarthy was very good in Bridesmaids because she was not the star. She got her scenes and was so over the top it was funny, you waited for her to show up. I have seen a couple of her movies now, including Spy, and it is way too much of her brand of comedy for my liking.

I went to see Spy because I thought that Jason Statham was going to be the straight man to her character. I thought, what a brilliant move! As soon as he went into stupid mode and her character got serious, I was done. Such a disappointment.

I have found the Ghostbusters trailer borderline offensive. Do we really need to verbally label the characters so we know who they are? Is the movie in that much trouble with the script? Not to mention that someone felt the need to screw with such a masterpiece to begin with.

So far this will definitely be an after box office viewing for me.

May 15, 2016, 12:36 PM
Raven
There are reports this week that the makers of the new Ghostbusters are frantically re-editing footage ahead of the summer release. Supposedly no actor is safe, with the Sigourney Weaver part hitting the cutting room, before the decision was reversed and the role was reinstated. I doubt its more than a cameo anyway.

This is never a good sign with a movie. More and more this reboot is barking. Wink
May 16, 2016, 01:01 AM
chesspieceface
Kate McKinnon may be the wild card here. They need to get as much of her into the movie as possible. McCarthy is usually comedy gold, but she works best "blue", and this movie isn't rated R.

We plan to see it at the drive-in, regardless of reviews or chatter. Movies like that are tailor-made for viewing under the California stars in the summer. We're lucky to have two drive-ins in the vicinity.

May 16, 2016, 09:11 AM
Raven
I loved Drive-Ins. They were the best with little egg rolls and pizza bites at the refreshment stand. And the space you took always had a bad speaker and the cars next to you had six kids that kept hitting the doors. Big Grin

I was a teenager the last time I went to a drive in. They were all torn down for shopping malls and industrial business centers. I don't think there is one in NY, maybe upstate.
June 14, 2016, 01:54 AM
Raven
Ads, trailers, whatever you want to call these sneak peeks of film, continue to look awful.

The actors remarked that haters got to hate on Jimmy Kimmel, so they have certainly heard all the negative internet chatter.

I'm not a hater, got no problem with female Ghostbusters. I just haven't seen anything good after looking at what are supposed to be some of the best scenes. I can't even figure out what the tone is that they are going for, but pure slap stick is in there.

I could be wrong, but I think this one is going to make Batman vs. Superman look like genius. Wink
June 20, 2016, 05:48 PM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I'm not a hater, got no problem with female Ghostbusters......

Couldn't agree more. Their style and type of comedy is so outside of what made the first film so special. From all I have seen so far this is a high budget film born from a futile hope that it will never achieve.

June 20, 2016, 06:22 PM
chesspieceface
On that Jimmy Kimmel show from a couple of weeks ago just after the premiere showing, the original main cast (less Weaver and Moranis) appeared alongside the new cast, and right in front of them, Murray said the first third of the new movie clunks along a bit in the process of the big set up, but that the middle part and especially the finish was extremely satisfying with jaw-dropping special effects, and Dan heartily concurred. I know they both have a personal stake in it, but it had the ring of truth to it, so I'm definitely giving it a shot, probably at the drive-in. I think it'll make a decent amount of money just on the Ghostbusters name with the attendant publicity that comes with that. If it's actually funny, it'll be a really big hit.

June 20, 2016, 10:52 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
. . . Murray said the first third of the new movie clunks along a bit in the process of the big set up, but that the middle part and especially the finish was extremely satisfying with jaw-dropping special effects, and Dan heartily concurred.

Well some of the special effects are in the trailers. This may be SPOILERS, so don't read if you don't want to know, Slimer is in the film. The rumored ending has something similar to the Stay Puft Marsh Mellow Man, but it looks more like the Ghostbusters' logo ghost, or so it seems.

So I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a straight up remake or not. If it is I don't remember the movie needing the first third to provide a setup. Ghostbusters got down to funny business pretty fast. So why would we need to see a whole back story on the female characters if it is just a switched out version?

And if it's shooting for more than just a copy of the original, we really shouldn't need to have Slimer and a close, but not quite, big, white, giant monster.

They are trying to be the same, but different. I honestly think that their best audience is going to be the people who never saw or were too young to remember the original.
June 20, 2016, 11:33 PM
mykdude
Yeah, not sure if Bill is helping matters. I can tell from the trailers that the SFX are going to be great. Can't say as much for the characters. I am actually very turned off by them. These previews are the things that are supposed to make me want to see the film and they just aren't.

I shall wait for chesspieceface morning after review and see if he can change my mind. Smokin'

June 21, 2016, 07:25 PM
chesspieceface
I'll try to be objective, but be forewarned that I personally like each member of the new cast (and adore Kate McKinnon in particular). I also need to see the original again before I see the new one, otherwise, I'm afraid none of it will make sense in any event. Big Grin