Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    George Washington Hair card on Pawn Stars
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

George Washington Hair card on Pawn Stars
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
I was just watching Pawn Stars and some guy brought in an Upper Deck George Washington Cut Signature with strand of hair. His lowest asking price was $65,000, ( he originally wanted much more). Rick offered him something like $6,000. The card was graded as well.

The guy had bought it at a card shop for much less, I think he said $1100.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
You best buy it quick. You know what they say, hair today gone tomorrow. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
And "Wolfie" knows about hair. Howl for de Wolfie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Metal

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't think a strand of Washington's hair really adds much to it. Is it his real hair or from a wig or from whatever? Would you track down his DNA? I don't hear about a lot of hair card collectors in general. Big Grin

However his cut signature should be worth a good deal more than that $1,100, the $6,000 offer might even be on the low side. How many genuine Washington signatures are available these days? Its not like anyone could not know the name and most signatures would be in museums or private collections long ago.

That's what I always wonder about these cut signatures. What were they taken from and wouldn't they be more valuable if the original item was kept intact? I'm assuming that Washington wasn't signing index cards by mail, so if his signature came off a document or letter, why would you snip it off? Surely you could sell the whole thing for more and UD didn't break the bank acquiring it. So I'm always a bit leary of expensive cuts, with or without body parts. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
The hair was supposedly from Washington himself, they pointed out that he did not wear a wig. It is very likely it is GW's hair, since people back in the day would save hair as a memento.
The price for his auto is debateable, since it seems Upper Deck or Topps has included a set of president signatures as 1 of 1's in many sports sets over the last few years. The reason the owner wanted so much is he had seen a Washington manuscript go for a very high price, but that was a complete document. This card had a cut signature from some kind of supply invoice, the signature was really nice, with the "s" in Washington in olde English style - looking like a fancy "f".

I think most of the people on this show miss the mark - if you have something collectible to sell, say a gun or a card, go to a gun show or a card show, dont go to these knuckleheads.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
I think most of the people on this show miss the mark - if you have something collectible to sell, say a gun or a card, go to a gun show or a card show, dont go to these knuckleheads.

Might be true for guns, but cards? I doubt you'd get a $6000 offer, cash in hand, from anyone at a non-sport show. Maybe some place like the National Sports Card Show?

Even though it's upscale, it's still a pawn shop. They have to buy items at a price they can sell it and make money. Preferably sell it fast too, as they could very easily get inventory bloat and have a liquidity problem.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I'd say $6000 for a card you purchased for £1100 is a HELL of a deal

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post