Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are fan sites dead?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
I've long considered setting up fans sites to some of my favorite shows eg Charmed.

I know there used to be a great fan site (The Charmed Ones.com) which shut down not long after the original show finished its run.

I was looking into the cheap/free blog options but looking at sites like Fandom Wikia - arguably the 'go to' source for most shows, is there much point in fan sites these days?

Shows tend to have their own official sites and people can have blogs which are mostly re-blogged content, not much original. And then community sites and pages like Wiki.

So where could the 'fan site' fit into all of this? Or has the notion effectively 'died'?

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of fan stuff is just kept on Facebook and Twitter now. Maintaining actual websites and moderating them just for fun is hard work and there is a lot of conflict with trolls and hackers now. Kind of spoils things for everyone.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I think a lot of fan stuff is just kept on Facebook and Twitter now. Maintaining actual websites and moderating them just for fun is hard work and there is a lot of conflict with trolls and hackers now. Kind of spoils things for everyone.

Yeah hackers and trolls weren't really the issue for me. I guess it's the fact that all the content is on 'mass' sites like Wiki which just 'kills' the purpose of fansites. Hence people end up with 'fan blogs' which are just re-blogs of 'old' images and information.

There was something quite special about the original fan sites as 'go to' hub by the 'elite' hardcore fans of the base.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post