Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Shows Ending / Being Cancelled
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shows Ending / Being Cancelled
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Some shows listed for cancellation

Animal Kingdom (was winding down anyway)
Better Call Saul (same)
Black-ish and Brooklyn 99 (had a good runs of 8 seasons)
The Crown
Ellen (after a respectable 19 seasons)
Jupiter's Legacy (I tried to like it...I really did)
Keeping Up w The Kardashians (after 20 seasons! I guess they have enough money now)
Last Man Standing (9 seasons)
Lost In Space (Standard 3 and done Netflix method)
MacGyver (Actually lasted longer than I thought it would)
Manifest (Kinda surprised it made it to season 3)
Mom (8 seasons) Not a bad show, doing well in syndication.
NCIS New Orleans is done the other two renewed. Really don't know how one is better than the other, they are all the same.
Ozark (Another Netflix casualty)
Peaky Blinders (6 Seasons)
Queen of the South (5 Seasons)
Rebel (cancelled after airing of 4 episodes)
Shameless (11 seasons. Basically if you could script the lives of Jerry Springer guests)
Tosh.0 (12 seasons)
Twilight Zone (2 seasons)
Van Helsing (5 seasons)
Walking Dead (A much deserved and over due cancellation after 11 seasons)
Wynonna Earp

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Great, as far as I'm concerned every show on that list can disappear, except one. Luckily its the one that is wrong. Big Grin

The Crown hasn't been cancelled, its a hit show. It got delayed with COVID, but is coming back for Season 5 with an all new cast of actors and will still run through Season 6, when it is scheduled to end. The Crown has switched to an age appropriate cast every 2 seasons.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
"Ozark" and "Better Call Saul" have a chance to be classics of the form, if they can finish well. It'd be hard to find better acting than what is seen on those two series.

I liked "Brooklyn-99" but it really has run its course. How can you tell? Two lead characters that hated each initially have hooked up, gotten married, and have a kid on the way. Still, I'm looking forward to the finish on that one.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've never seen most of those shows and never even heard of "Ozark" nor "Peaky Blinders." One of my friends watched Tosh.0. I saw several episodes and it was funny so I can see how it lasted so long.

I saw the first couple of seasons of "Walking Dead" and it was alright but started to become too much of a soap opera. It might have not been for me but there is a hunger for more creative soap opera out there so it lasted longer than I thought it would.

Redoing "Twilight Zone" (again) is tough with so much to live up to. The writing really has to be consistently excellent to have a chance at keeping the old fans and drawing in new kids. The latest version must have had something to last two seasons. The 80's version had a couple of good episodes. I saw just a few of those.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This was actually the 4th attempt at the Twilight Zone. The third version lasted 1 or 2 years in the mid 2000s from what I recall on the UPN network or whatever they called the network that Buffy moved to.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
I couldn't care less about all the shows listed above, except the twilight zone.
They did a good job with a few good surprises. It was the best writing since the original series.

Too many shows the past years, with so little episodes. Sometimes only 5 episodes and yesterday I've seen one with only 3 episodes for season one. It's ridiculous.

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to Netflix, "Stranger Things" Season 4 is coming this summer, and then Season 5 will be the last one.

It has been a long time in between seasons, as the show started 6 years ago, in 2016.

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I commented in another thread about how disappointing the final episode of "Killing Eve" was for fans. I watched that one and, although the first season was the best set up of them all, I did not like the ending either.

Now Ozark has wrapped up and complaints abound. Didn't start that one, so I'm just reading comments.

I'm really down on getting invested in these shows for years and winding up with poor finishes. "Killing Eve" was on a par with "Game of Thrones" for some viewers, although I thought GoT was much worse. But there is a slew of TV shows from Buffy, Xena, Lost, Dexter, Battlestar and even Monk, just to name some of the better-known ones, that ended badly.

It's harder to come up with anything that ended well. People have said MASH and Six Feet Under. The Sopranos seems still undecided.

And it isn't that they couldn't have better endings. Fans could write better endings themselves. It's almost like the producers and show runners have read all the comments, know what you want to see, and purposefully go in the other direction to make viewers miserable. Then they go on to explain how you shouldn't have expected a happy ending in an unhappy world.

Ahh, maybe because its entertainment and its fiction and you would like to enjoy yourself while wasting your time? Imagine that! Big Grin

I think I'm going to watch only the first season of everything from now on and quit. But I'll probably get sucked in again anyway. Razz

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
"Better Things" on FX just nailed its ending.
"This is Us" & "Better Call Saul" are set up for classic finishes but so were "Ozark" and "Killing Eve" and neither delivered, sadly.
That said, there may be a plan to continue those two series someday in some way, as with done with "Dexter".

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
"This is Us" & "Better Call Saul" are set up for classic finishes but so were "Ozark" and "Killing Eve" and neither delivered, sadly.

Well better luck with those two shows, but this is hysterical, if you didn't hear it already.

SPOILER ALERT on "Killing Eve"

The reason why they choose that ending according to the show runner is because the producers and writers felt that the two main characters would be incompatible in a long-term relationship. Roll Eyes Big Grin

WHAT?! It's an MI5 spy and a half psycho assassin and you're worried about reality after the Twelve are gone. Come on. It would have been so easy to leave it go along the lines of the author Luke Jennings' Villanelle stories. You can't blame fans for being mad. It was an unnecessary twist that ruined all the buildup and left the plot in limbo. Shake Head

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was trying to think of old shows that had a "goodbye" of any kind. Usually, the show producers are surprised when they are cancelled so they don't get a chance to write anything. "The Odd Couple" had a happy ending with Felix remarrying his ex-wife. "Newhart" had maybe the best ending of all time. Yeah, MASH had a satisfying one.

I didn't think Battlestar Galactica's ending was bad. The Cylons weren't going to find them with the way they ended it.

Monk didn't have a great ending with Sharona marrying Randy and moving east. That seemed like another shoehorned story within the show. I always thought Sharona's exit early in the run was poorly written. It was unrealistic that she would suddenly go back to her ex-husband after she had left him. People get remarried but it went against the way her character in particular was written. She also seemed like a better character sometimes at odds with Monk. Natalie didn't seem as well-written to me.

"The Strain" actually improved on the good story of the novels. The changes along the way were great and it had a better ending.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I'm really down on getting invested in these shows for years and winding up with poor finishes. "Killing Eve" was on a par with "Game of Thrones" for some viewers, although I thought GoT was much worse. But there is a slew of TV shows from Buffy, Xena, Lost, Dexter, Battlestar and even Monk, just to name some of the better-known ones, that ended badly.

It's harder to come up with anything that ended well. People have said MASH and Six Feet Under. The Sopranos seems still undecided.

And it isn't that they couldn't have better endings. Fans could write better endings themselves. It's almost like the producers and show runners have read all the comments, know what you want to see, and purposefully go in the other direction to make viewers miserable. Then they go on to explain how you shouldn't have expected a happy ending in an unhappy world.

I think I'm going to watch only the first season of everything from now on and quit. But I'll probably get sucked in again anyway. Razz

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
'Babylon 5' had a good series ending. Just one problem with it it came at the end of Season 4. The show had a five year story arc right from when it was first launched but they were concerned that it would not be renewed for Season 5, so included conclusions to all of the main storylines in Season 4 with no 'padding' episodes. It was such a big success, that they did get renewed for Season 5 which left them with a problem...no real story left to tell Smile . The final season basically had all the stories that should have been the padding for seasons 4 and 5.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Monk didn't have a great ending with Sharona marrying Randy and moving east. That seemed like another shoehorned story within the show. I always thought Sharona's exit early in the run was poorly written. It was unrealistic that she would suddenly go back to her ex-husband after she had left him. People get remarried but it went against the way her character in particular was written. She also seemed like a better character sometimes at odds with Monk. Natalie didn't seem as well-written to me.Razz
[/QUOTE]

If I'm remembering correctly, they switched out Sharona for Natalie in Monk because the actress realized she had a big part in the show and wanted more money. Once they wrote her out however, the chemistry between Monk and Natalie stunk and the show went downhill from there.

Also the character of Monk never grew or improved from the annoying, barely functional "rainman" and they had no ending for it. He solved his wife's murder in a dumb plot device and was no better for it or any of his friends. Monk was just another series that was good, peaked and then gasped to the finish line running on fumes for 2-4 years.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
CBS cancelled the new "Magnum P.I." after 4 years

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
"United States of Al" has been cancelled after two seasons. A rare failure for producer Chuck Lorre. I saw a couple of episodes and found it to be not funny enough as a comedy and not dramatic enough as a drama. Even a popular lead in show couldn't help.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The CW Network axed the new "Charmed", "Roswell", "4400", "Legacies", "In the Dark", "Naomi", "Dynasty", "Batwoman", and "Legends of Tomorrow"

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The CW has announced that "Riverdale" is ending in 2023 after 7 seasons and "Nancy Drew" after 4.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
CW has cancelled the DC Comics show "Stargirl" after 3 years.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't know what CW will put on after cleaning out all these shows, but then again, I don't know who was watching them either.

All the ones just mentioned were garbage to me, even the ones with multiple seasons and a card connection. They all looked cheaply made and amateurish, along with the expected bad acting. Their audience had to outgrow them, but I'm sure a new batch of the same will follow.

Why can't DC compete with Marvel? Maybe because DC lends its characters to these kinds of productions.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"The Flash" is ending on the CW, as well, after 9 years.

"Superman and Lois" is continuing---for now.