Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Shows Ending / Being Cancelled

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/958604453/m/2957083586

February 02, 2023, 07:10 AM
Tommy C
Shows Ending / Being Cancelled
The Blacklist with James Spader is ending after 10 seasons.
February 03, 2023, 07:08 AM
Tommy C
The Batman related show Pennyworth is gone after 3 years.
August 09, 2023, 04:03 PM
Tommy C
Star Trek Discovery is ending in 2024 with Season 5
August 10, 2023, 03:17 AM
mykdude
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

I have to admit never being a devoted Star Trek tv show junkie. I think the only series I have seen every episode of was TOS. I tend to lose my patience with a show after the 3rd or 4th season because the idea barrel is empty. The characters must be dumbed down to give us new drama. It is difficult to imagine there is anything new for Star Trek ideology or story telling to explore, at least from the Hollywood mindset. Mostly it is just recycled ideas with fresh new characters.....until they begin to stale. At least there is a lifetime of conventions to supplement the old income.

August 10, 2023, 09:35 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

I have to admit never being a devoted Star Trek tv show junkie. I think the only series I have seen every episode of was TOS. I tend to lose my patience with a show after the 3rd or 4th season because the idea barrel is empty. The characters must be dumbed down to give us new drama. It is difficult to imagine there is anything new for Star Trek ideology or story telling to explore, at least from the Hollywood mindset. Mostly it is just recycled ideas with fresh new characters.....until they begin to stale. At least there is a lifetime of conventions to supplement the old income.

The thing that always bothered me about Star Trek is this idea of "canon". That is probably not just limited to the world of Star Trek, other titles lean on it too, but I find it more annoying there because it is more sanctimonious than others.

"What would Gene Roddenberry think?" is a phrase that often comes up. Does this storyline, or this character, or this conclusion go against the principles that Star Trek TOS was based upon? "Where can I learn Klingon?" Big Grin

I don't know and I don't care. Is it a fun TV show to watch is the right question.

I saw all of the original series in reruns years after it was cancelled, and it was alright. I started watching Voyager and Next Generation, but they didn't stick at all with me. I've caught all of the movies with original cast.

Yes, there is a Star Trek ideology, and I never had the patience to keep up with it, but it's also getting farther away as we get closer to 2265. I'm not so sure we'll make it. Wink
August 10, 2023, 07:02 PM
catskilleagle
Thinking about "canon," I always thought it was more about anything new having to fit chronologically and consistently characterwise. Well, with the timeline affected by the events of the 2009 movie, any Star Trek show or movie had more room to maneuver in the future. It was no longer exactly your grandparents' Star Trek. Anyway, any grumble I might have had was erased with the appearance of Leonard Nimoy in the movie. With all the change, the movie still had a strong connection to the past.

I liked the "Next Generation" as a whole. It had some good stories and I thought it was funny when the new show commented on the old show when Nimoy appeared on an episode of the Next Generation back in the 90's. Picard noted a certain "cowboy diplomacy" that was tolerated in Starfleet in Kirk's time, Kirk playing it fast and loose with the Prime Directive. I wasn't as much into "Voyager" but "Deep Space Nine" seemed to have more action than the other too.

I saw the first season of "Discovery." A friend told me it was good if I could stomach the one weird thing. A starship running on mushrooms? Give me a break. Somewhere, Douglas Adams might be laughing.

I saw the pilot for "Picard" and I do want to see those seasons. I know that it has completed its run.
November 14, 2023, 05:58 PM
Tommy C
I didn't know that 2 years ago, in 2021, there was a short lived show on CBS called "Clarice", based upon "The Silence of the Lambs."

Hannibal Lecter wasn't in it.

Apparently it only lasted 4 months.
November 15, 2023, 11:07 AM
Bill Mullins
I saw most of Clarice. It was okay, but they turned Krendler into a good guy.
November 22, 2023, 11:56 AM
David R
Disney cancelled "Muppets Mayhem" after 1 year.
November 22, 2023, 12:45 PM
Ted Dastick Jr.
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Disney cancelled "Muppets Mayhem" after 1 year.

Bummer, I enjoyed it.

Disney just does not know what to do to make the Muppets relevant again.
November 22, 2023, 02:43 PM
Tommy C
Aside from the 2011 Muppets film, they haven't had much success since the early 1980s.

From what I understand, all of the films they did after 1984 and through the 1990s were not huge successes, nor was the sequel to the 2011 film.

And the attempts to revive the show in the mid 1990s and later were short lived.
January 29, 2024, 05:30 PM
Tommy C
The Tom Selleck cop show "Blue Bloods" is ending with Season 14.

10 episodes will be shown beginning in February, and the final 8 will air this fall.
February 14, 2024, 03:36 PM
Raven
So "La Brea" had its final show the other day and am I glad I didn't watch it. I thought about it because I caught the clips and finding a sunken Lost World complete with dinosaurs in the middle of the tar pits seemed cool. I just was afraid to get interested in another series that starts off good and becomes incomprehensible drivel. Well I didn't and it did.

Here comes a SPOILER that I actually don't understand because I only saw about 20 minutes of one episode, but it turns out that, now here comes the big reveal, everybody is a time traveler. I'm not really sure if its everybody, but the review sounds like it was all the main characters that were really born in 10M BC and have to make it back to today. They must have had a huge learning curve at some point. Big Grin

So what is it with these TV and movie script writers? Anybody can dream up an impossible situation, but none of them know how to end it. Do many viewers find these "pulled out of thin air" endings worth the time they spent getting there? I know its fiction but are time travel and multi-universes the only answers to every series regardless of genre? Cause it sure looks like it.
February 20, 2024, 05:24 PM
Raven
Not exactly a show ending, but a series finale for "True Detective" Season 4, which has been coming back with different stories and casts. Much was made of this one because Jodie Foster starred in it. That is actually a bad sign.

Thankfully I didn't watch much of it because you could see from the start that it was going to be a murky mess. No spoilers really, just that its another example of an interpretive ending, which means the viewers don't know what happened. The producer and writers always say this is intentional and that the audience is meant to make up their own theories.

That is such a crock. If you can't understand the ending, there was no ending. The show runners didn't know how to explain it, so they just said you decide. Really tired of these badly written shows pretending to be profound and just wasting everyone's time.
February 20, 2024, 07:20 PM
mykdude
Kinda like when artists claim the message of their art is up to the interpretation of the viewer......then they get mad when someone provides an idea they don't like

Either communicate through your art or shut up.

April 05, 2024, 10:23 PM
Raven
The reboot of "Quantum Leap" has been cancelled after two truncated seasons. I saw very little of it, but from what I did, I would have cancelled it in one season.
April 06, 2024, 12:51 PM
chesspieceface
"True Detective" was renewed with the same creator who did the Season 4, shortly after that season ended. No word yet on whether the storyline from "Night Country", as it was called, will continue or if Foster or any of the other actors from it will be returning.

I thought it was pretty good, not as good as the classic Season 1, which as it turned out was that good because of the visionary director Cary Joji Fukunaga, and not the writer of the first three seasons, who could never follow up on the quality of Season 1 and has basically carried on like a crybaby about it ever since.

April 06, 2024, 01:32 PM
Raven
I'm pretty sure I read that "True Detective" will be continuing same as in the past with a completely different story and all new cast. I only saw the first season, which I really liked. I think Season 4 had some fans trying to compare them and draw up plot links, but the bar was set so high, it was perfect to end it right there. I haven't seen Jodie Foster do anything I liked in 20 years or more. Wink

The difficulty with these limited series of 6 - 8 episodes is that they have 3 hour plots and then they have to pad it. The only way they can do that is throw in a bunch of red herrings to waste the time. If they want to go to Season 2 with the same people, they either do a carbon copy of everything you've already seen or they make the story so utterly stupid it's not fun anymore.

"Stranger Things" is in the first group, "Resident Alien" in the second group. That "True Detective" wants to keep its anthology format is OK, but just getting a movie star name won't carry it.
April 08, 2024, 09:30 AM
Hedgehog Witch
The Night Country story was a rip off of a British show from a few years ago called Fortitude, both even had Christopher Eccleston in them. I really hated Fortitude and wasn't surprised by the nonsense and padded-out story on Night Country.
As we say here, it was like Marmite...you either loved or hated this latest True Detective outing. I hated it and regret I'll never get those hours back. Roll Eyes
April 09, 2024, 11:16 PM
barobehere
I watched the first episode of True Detective: Night watch. It was such a dreadful hour of television, I decided to not worry about the rest of the series. Life is too short to stick with television you know you will not enjoy.