Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Biggest Hits of 2018 (so far)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest Hits of 2018 (so far)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
As of May 22, these are the 5 biggest domestic hits of 2018.

BLACK PANTHER (698 M)

AVENGERS (598 M)

A QUIET PLACE (176 M)

DEADPOOL 2 (138 M)

READY PLAYER ONE (135 M)

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Have yet to see these but going to check out Deadpool 2 this week.

Excited to see A Quiet Place. Few of these not yet out in the UK but coming soon.

No doubt Jurassic World 2 will top the board for a while by this time next month.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prospect5k
posted Hide Post
A Quiet Place was pretty awesome!

Posts: 414 | Location: Waterford, MI USA | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
For some reason, the promotion for JW2 seems forced and gives the impression that it may not do as well as expected.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Yeah honestly I think the same happened for the original Jurassic Park franchise, although JP2 was based on Michael Crichton's 2 novel but JP3 was embarrassing even for hardcore fans.

I think it's just a guaranteed winner with kids, families and dinosaur nerds, plus original fans of the franchise. I think it'll still break records upon release honestly and do as well as the first.

Think they'll try and squeeze as many dino films out of this re-boot as they can. Could easily seem them going for 4 films total.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there's a chance that SOLO may not be in the Top 10, by the end of the year ?

That would be pretty embarrassing, a first for a STAR WARS film.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I wonder if there's a chance that SOLO may not be in the Top 10, by the end of the year ?

That would be pretty embarrassing, a first for a STAR WARS film.

Agreed. I don't even think it'll be in the top 10 by the end of summer. They've over done it a bit I think. They should of had a longer cooling off period between films. I'd say 2 years minimum to build up hype again. But studios are too nervous to wait these days.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now some are saying that SOLO won't even make 200 M domestically, which is possible

Who would have imagined ?

When we were kids in the 1970s and early 80s, you had to wait 3 years in between STAR WARS films. Now they keep churning them out 1 per year, almost

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
'Churning out' sums it up. No matter how much money the pour into it, if it's not a strong plotline even big fans might be switched off from it.

I think that the lack of original Hollywoods and the 'safety net' of film franchises these days, they're hoping for a lazy, easy return from a dedicated fan base and ready made audience.

But at one per year, general movie fans tire of the same characters and similar plots each year.

Honestly the only reason the Hobbit franchise did so well is because they paced it many years after LOTR ended. Even though they put out a new film back to back with in 3 years.

I think studios fear people equally losing interest if they leave it 2+ years between movies. But I think the opposite, it build new hype and momentum.

Hollywoods in trouble and denial about it. Twak

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Black Panther is about $ 800,000 away from hitting 700 M domestically

While SOLO is up to...148 M

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Now they keep churning them out 1 per year, almost

Depending on which article you believe, there is a minimum of 7 and a maximum of 9 additional Star Wars related movies that have been green lighted. Everyone from Boba Fett to Obi Wan is mentioned as getting their own story. That was before Solo tanked. As the saying goes "went to the well too often", possibly.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a comparison of ALL of the domestic takes of the live action Star Wars films to date, not adjusted for inflation

STAR WARS 460 M

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 290 M

RETURN OF THE JEDI 309 M

PHANTOM MENACE 474 M

ATTACK OF THE CLONES 310 M

REVENGE OF THE SITH 380 M

THE FORCE AWAKENS 936 M

ROGUE ONE 532 M

THE LAST JEDI 620 M

SOLO 148 M

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Everyone from Boba Fett to Obi Wan is mentioned as getting their own story. That was before Solo tanked. As the saying goes "went to the well too often", possibly.

I think Obi Wan would have worked better. I like Ewan McGregor. Though a Chewbacca origin story would have been adorable. Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Here is a comparison of ALL of the domestic takes of the live action Star Wars films to date, not adjusted for inflation

STAR WARS 460 M

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 290 M

RETURN OF THE JEDI 309 M

PHANTOM MENACE 474 M

ATTACK OF THE CLONES 310 M

REVENGE OF THE SITH 380 M

THE FORCE AWAKENS 936 M

ROGUE ONE 532 M

THE LAST JEDI 620 M

SOLO 148 M

People complain about the 90s Episodes but they did equal or better than the originals until the reboot happened. And I think a lot of the reboots success was down to a whole new generation discovering what Star Wars was.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So caught Ocean's 8 tonight and it will do well for 2018. Pretty good crowd for Tuesday night, about 60% and 40% men, lots of couples.

Opening weekend domestically was 41.6M. It opens internationally tomorrow. Its already getting repeat business and better word of mouth than the somewhat average reviews. There is no other summer release appealing to its particular audience so I think it won't have a big drop off even if the Incredibles 2 takes #1 this week. I put more details in the other thread, but I enjoyed it and it will be a hit.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
SOLO is up to 180 M, but with Jurassic World coming, I am sure that SOLO won't be one of the Top 5 films of the year in terms of domestic gross, and it may barely make the Top 10 by year's end. Who would have guessed ?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The Incredibles 2 looks to be smashing records at somewhere between 170M - 180M predicted opening weekend.

Frankly, I don't get it. It was going to be a hit just because it was aimed at the kids, but it doesn't look like anything special from the original story and it seems to have even more talking points added in. It just seems too much and I guess it just means that, good or bad, we are in an age of overreacting to everything. Big Grin

I wonder if this will dampen the box office for Jurassic World coming in one week. I have no idea at this point, but Ocean's 8 holds on to #2 with the stupid Tag and bombed Gotti being the other new movies this week.

I am almost tempted to see Gotti some time. It has a zero rating on Rotten Tomatoes and reviewers have said that they would rather get rubbed out than have to watch it again. Could it be that bad? Overreacting, maybe? Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jurassic World grossed 150 M, at least

Incredibles 2 is up to 350 M

Solo is up to 202 M domestically

I have noticed that so far worldwide, SOLO is only the # 12 highest grossing film of the year. Not a good showing by any means

Ocean's 8 is only up to 100 M domestically, so not a big hit

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

It will be big enough. Total is over 171M worldwide and UK and other countries haven't come into the foreign tally yet. The thing is, at 70M production, this is one of the cheaper blockbusters to make, so profits are greater. Solo is not doing badly just by box office, but it was way more expensive to make, so it borders on failure even though the money is the same or better.

As for Jurassic World, here's another example of a movie making a fortune and being a big hit, without really being a good movie. Its best reviews have been mediocre. So that's reviewers, but the audience also doesn't think that much of the story or actors. The dinosaur special effects are what makes it worth watching, but should that make it a classic film like other classics of the past? No, not really.

I was thinking of all the movie trilogies we have had and I can only think of 3 second movies that were as good as or better than the first movie, Empire Strikes Back, Aliens and Terminator. Most second movies make the money, but are poor imitations, and very little is left for the third and final installment. Yet that makes money too, just because we have to see the end. The first Jurassic trilogy really had only one good movie, the first one. I think the second Jurassic trilogy will follow the same way, and of course it will still break records in 2020. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

It will be big enough. Total is over 171M worldwide and UK and other countries haven't come into the foreign tally yet. The thing is, at 70M production, this is one of the cheaper blockbusters to make, so profits are greater. Solo is not doing badly just by box office, but it was way more expensive to make, so it borders on failure even though the money is the same or better.

As for Jurassic World, here's another example of a movie making a fortune and being a big hit, without really being a good movie. Its best reviews have been mediocre. So that's reviewers, but the audience also doesn't think that much of the story or actors. The dinosaur special effects are what makes it worth watching, but should that make it a classic film like other classics of the past? No, not really.

I was thinking of all the movie trilogies we have had and I can only think of 3 second movies that were as good as or better than the first movie, Empire Strikes Back, Aliens and Terminator. Most second movies make the money, but are poor imitations, and very little is left for the third and final installment. Yet that makes money too, just because we have to see the end. The first Jurassic trilogy really had only one good movie, the first one. I think the second Jurassic trilogy will follow the same way, and of course it will still break records in 2020. Big Grin
Pretty much have to agree with you but I also thought the Back to the Future trilogy was pretty good throughout Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post