Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Biggest Hits of 2018 (so far)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest Hits of 2018 (so far)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Gail Gadot didn't take her shirt off in Wonder Woman . . . .

She didn't have to, the costume is enough. Wink

But the film would have gotten an R rating if she had, so it goes without saying that it wasn't a literal comparison.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Predator cost almost 90 M to make, more than twice as much as the last movie, from 2010

So far it's grossed worldwide in the 120 M range. That is not profitable.

With those numbers, I don't know how you can justify making a SEVENTH film. Time to end the series !

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Johnny English 3 made 1.6 M this weekend in the U.S. Frown Not even in the Top 10

Worldwide, it's made over 100 M, so I guess the filmmakers were relying upon the overseas take

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I didn't even know Johnny English 3 had been released. I enjoyed the first two, but that's probably because I have liked Rowan Atkinson since I first came across him in Blackadder.

The thing is, actors and comedians like Atkinson don't travel well in the US. They are known and appreciated in circles that like British humor, but I would go so far as to say that the general American public doesn't get it. It's also not helped when the UK humor gets very local and we don't know what they are talking about or even what they are saying many times. I'm sure the opposite is also true and UK audiences may get lost in USA references.

I myself pick and choose and get some UK entertainment and not others. I loved Blackadder and Fawlty Towers. I detest Monty Python and barely understood half the dialog. I really like a lot of the British mystery series, but find some to end on depressing downers that makes me wonder why I watched it. The greatness of Doctor Who escapes me.

In short, that's why we have domestic and foreign box office numbers. Be it movies or TV, there are definite differences in attitudes and preferences between countries and cultures and a film or show can be a big hit without making it in the US.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Disney's "The Nutcracker" flopped, grossing only 20 M this past weekend

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The thing is, actors and comedians like Atkinson don't travel well in the US. They are known and appreciated in circles that like British humor, but I would go so far as to say that the general American public doesn't get it. It's also not helped when the UK humor gets very local and we don't know what they are talking about or even what they are saying many times. I'm sure the opposite is also true and UK audiences may get lost in USA references.

Bean cost $18 million and made $45 million in the US. Mr. Bean's Holiday made $33 million US, but boxofficemojo doesn't list a cost.

The beauty of Mr. Bean is there's not really a language barrier since he barely speaks.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And to add to that, the first BEAN film grossed 251 M worldwide in 1997

The budget of Bean's Holiday was 25 M, and it made about 230 M worldwide

This according to Wikipedia

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Exactly my point. Atkinson is an international star and does better in foreign markets, which are not foreign to him. So when you talk about how little Johnny English 3 made domestically, meaning in the US, sure it won't be a big earner. That doesn't mean it won't be a profitable film, it means he is not a big draw in America. I will be seeing it as I enjoy his work.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Venom" is about 6 M away from surpassing SOLO as the # 8 movie of the year, in terms of U.S. box office receipts

Worldwide, Venom has grossed 677 M and climbing. Solo grossed 392 M.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
'Bohemian Rhapsody' has proved a big hit Worldwide. Queen have a loyal following in the UK so you would expect it to do well here, but they have had a surprise hit in the USA.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
After this coming weekend, the Top 10 list of highest grossing films for 2018, domestically, will look like this:

1) Black Panther
2) Avengers
3) Incredibles 2
4) Jurassic World
5) Deadpool 2
6) Mission Impossible 6
7) Ant Man and the Wasp
8) Venom
9) Solo
10) A Star is Born

Yes, there's still a month left in 2018, so there could be some additions to the list. Maybe yes, maybe no. But overall, a very good year for comic book and super hero related films--they make up MOST of the Top 10

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And all ten are based on a previously-existing media property.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
To be fair, both Black Panther and Venom could be regarded as origin stories or the first in their particular series. Solo could also be called an origin story, but because he was a main character in the 1st Star Wars trilogy, I don't think it qualifies as first in the series.

That's kind of splitting hairs as all the characters could be found someplace else. A Star Is Born, while never a sequel, just keeps getting remade with new music and a bit of industry updating. I finally did get around to seeing it and, while it's a perfectly good film, I think I expected more with all the great reviews. I guess I've just seen it too many times before.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like "The Grinch" is moving up the list and soon may be in the # 10 position. Only 10 M away.

The second "Fantastic Beasts" (Harry Potter spin off) is not doing as well as the first one. Up to 117 M in the U.S., but cost 200 M to make. The first one grossed 234 M in the U.S. and over 800 worldwide, so twice as much as the new one.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"The Grinch" is now the #6 movie of the year domestically, at 224 M, passing Mission Impossible and Ant Man.

And "Venom" is only 1 M away from pushing SOLO down to the # 10 position.

A Star Wars film at # 10 ? Who would have imagined ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
When all is said and done, it looks like this will be the Top 10 list for 2018, in terms of domestic box office receipts (updating Tommy's list)

1) Black Panther
2) Avengers
3) Incredibles 2
4) Jurassic World
5) Deadpool 2
6) Aquaman
7) The Grinch
8) Mission Impossible 6
9) Ant Man and the Wasp
10) Venom

If Venom can make a mere $ 300,000 more, it will be # 10, knocking SOLO out of the Top 10. The first time ever for a Star Wars film.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
'Venom' made more than twice as much as 'Solo' worldwide.

According to box-office mojo the worldwide champs are:-

1) Avengers Infinity War
2) Black Panther
3) Jurassic World 2
4) Incredibles 2
5) Aquaman
6) Venom
7) Mission Impossible Fallout
8) Bohemian Rhapsody
9) Deadpool 2
10) Fantastic Beasts 2
11) Ant-man and the Wasp

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting how "Fantastic Beasts 2" and "Rhapsody" did so much better overseas than in the U.S., especially the former.

Here in the U.S., Beasts is only like the # 19 film of the year.

And neither the latest Transformers film, Bumblebee (less than 100 M so far) or Mary Poppins Returns (140 M) have been HUGE hits in America, either.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
'Bohemian Rhapsody' is currently #13 in the US top films of 2018, but more importantly it has taken four times the amount it cost to make (in the USA alone). For the type of film it is, it has been a massive success.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Again according to box-office mojo, 55 movies broke the 100M mark for worldwide totals in 2018. That would seem like a lot, but it is the cost to return ratio that is more important, since some of them may have actually lost money.

For some reason it isn't easy to find a yearly list based on the most profitable return on investment. You can find random data about some past movies, but I can't see a comparison of only the 2018 movies. Films like Get Out and A Quiet Place are the real box office champs when you consider percentage earned over budget and not just the straight box office dollars.