Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Alan Harris has recently died aged 81. He was a British actor who appeared in all sorts of films and TV programmes which included Dr Who and the Empire Strikes back. See his IMDb entry. I don't know if he has a Trade card.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kirk Douglas has died at the amazing age of 103. One of the greatest film stars of all time. Nice obituary for him from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51394855

He was Spartacus Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No I'm Spartacus- rip

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Horrible news about well known supporting actor and comedian Orson Bean. He was struck and killed by multiple vehicles last night while crossing a boulevard in Hollywood. He was 91 years old. I often catch old reruns of him on the game show Tattle Tales, but his career extended all the way through and he appeared on many. many TV shows and in films.

He has cards and at least one autograph card in Twilight Zone's 4th set Science and Superstition and will have cards and an autograph in the upcoming Twilight Zone Inscriptions set. RIP Mr. Bean.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember him from "Tattletales" as well. William Shatner and his wife at the time were on and I think Bob Newhart was on with his wife.

The other thing I remember him for is he was the voice of Bilbo Baggins in the late 70's animated version of "The Hobbit."

I was sorry to hear of his passing too.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Horrible news about well known supporting actor and comedian Orson Bean. He was struck and killed by multiple vehicles last night while crossing a boulevard in Hollywood. He was 91 years old. I often catch old reruns of him on the game show Tattle Tales, but his career extended all the way through and he appeared on many. many TV shows and in films.

He has cards and at least one autograph card in Twilight Zone's 4th set Science and Superstition and will have cards and an autograph in the upcoming Twilight Zone Inscriptions set. RIP Mr. Bean.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Katherine Johnson, one of the "Hidden Figures" has died at the age of 101. Frown

Katherine Johnson: Hidden Figures Nasa mathematician dies at 101

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
One of my early idols, John Prine, passed away at 73 from the coronavirus. He wasn't a great singer, but he wrote the songs and it was all in the delivery. Angel From Montgomery will stop me cold every time. RIP Mr. Prine.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I've heard of Mr. Prine's passing on more than one site I peruse. I am ashamed to say I never heard of him, he seems to have been someone worth listening to.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
He never had a hit song but he was known and admired within the industry. He was an old friend of Bonnie Raitt. There's so much involved with having a hit song, having the right sound at the right time and having a good promotional push from the record company. There must be some bit of luck involved too with that first hit song. There are so many great songwriters, musicians, and singers that go largely unknown.

I didn't know of Prine until last year when he appeared on Colbert's show.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I've heard of Mr. Prine's passing on more than one site I peruse. I am ashamed to say I never heard of him, he seems to have been someone worth listening to.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Today saw the passing of Tim Brooke Taylor of the Goodies, Stirling Moss F1 driver and on 2nd April Eddie Large of Little and Large.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As ever, the BBC have posted a nice obituary for Tim Brooke-Taylor:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-34640393

Definitely someone I will miss. As part of 'The Goodies', he made me laugh a lot.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My youngest brother, a huge Tolkien fan, mentioned to me that Christopher Tolkien passed away early this year (Jan 16) at the age of 95. He was the youngest son of J.R.R. Tolkien and acted as a sounding board during the years his father was writing "Lord of the Rings." He drew the original maps for it (and redrew them later to correct contradictory errors) and edited most of his father's posthumously published Middle Earth-related and other work.

Last year, I learned that his father had done his own translation of Beowulf, which was written in Old English over 1000 years ago, with commentary and Christopher edited that too. Writing was in the blood.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Brian Dennehy, known for many 1980s and 1990s movies, such as the Rambo film, "First Blood", has died at 81.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That is sad. I remember him from "F/X, "Silverado," and of course "Tommy Boy." He did a lot of guest spots on TV shows including "Blacklist," an NBC show I've been watching since the beginning and one in which he had a recurring role.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Brian Dennehy, known for many 1980s and 1990s movies, such as the Rambo film, "First Blood", has died at 81.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Today, Dolphins fans, the NFL, and the sports world are mourning the death of the great Don Shula who passed away at the age of 90. He was already the Dolphins head coach when I started watching football in 1971. He retired in 1995. He coached the only "perfect season" in the NFL and has the most wins (347).

The Dolphins always had a chance even when they didn't have the most talented players when he was coaching.

Jess

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Today, Dolphins fans, the NFL, and the sports world are mourning the death of the great Don Shula

Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Roy Horn, of Siegfried and Roy fame, has passed away at the age of 75 from COVID-19. He was the one who was bitten by a white tiger during a performance many years ago, which left him injured and ended the act. He has said that he suffered a stroke at the time, that the tiger was trying to save him and never attacked. This damn thing is really finding the vulnerable. RIP Roy.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Little Richard passed away today at age 87. I loved that raw and roll and he could really bang the keys on the piano.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In the middle of all this stress, this one really makes me feel bad.

Jerry Stiller just passed away at 92, natural causes.

Not too many people go back far enough to remember the time of the Stiller and Meara act and I don't either. But just about everyone knew him from his two signature TV fathers, Frank Costanza on Seinfeld and Arthur Spooner on King of Queens. His wife Anne Meara, who died in 2015, also guested on King of Queens. They worked in TV and films throughout their lives starting in the mid-50s. They both guest starred on dozens of TV shows. How many actors have had that kind of career for that long?

I am a big fan of both those big series and Jerry Stiller made his supporting role as important as those of any main cast member. He didn't do it with the punch lines like so many other comedians, he did it with the character. He played the character straight and we laughed because we knew him.

I was surprised to see that where Stiller appeared in 195 episodes of King of Queens, he only appeared in 26 episodes of Seinfeld. That's nearly every episode of KoQ and just over one season's worth of shows for the 9 season Seinfeld. Yet I can probably name every one of his appearances, especially since Seinfeld still plays nightly in NY. The one we all know, Festavist For The Rest of Us.

The world is a sad place now and it feels even sadder for the passing of someone we all felt we knew. Rest in peace Stiller and Meara.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Not too many people go back far enough to remember the time of the Stiller and Meara act and I don't either.

Waving hand ... I am one of those few. They were such a delight together, and I was somewhat disappointed when one of them performed without the other. Class all the way.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post